Wiki Posts
Search

Adding a friend to a redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Adding a friend to a redemption

My GF and I are coming back from Asia I was about to book a redemption on KE by transferring my Chase points over. But it looks like it'll only let me book myself. The only way to add is a family member by calling and getting them added. Obviously she's not a family member. Does she need her own account? How do I book two people on KE?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
She has to make her own Skypass account and then you can transfer to it. You will not in any way be able to book for her yourself as they are strict about the family only rule.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
In looking at transferring my Chase points it'll only let me transfer to my Skypass account in my name. So I guess we're not taking KE.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:02 pm

Add her as your authorized user in chase credit card, then you are able to transfer
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:33 am

Just discovered this today. This is ridiculous. Any way around it?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No. Why is it ridiculous?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No. Why is it ridiculous?
Because you have to send in documentation and wait 1-2 weeks to add a family member. No one else does this. Other airlines allows you to add people without any hassle.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But it potentially keeps your account safer.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Because you have to send in documentation and wait 1-2 weeks to add a family member. No one else does this. Other airlines allows you to add people without any hassle.
Maybe that's why premium class redemption is readily available.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:01 pm

Plenty of airlines don't allow comingling of points as seamlessly as KE. I'd take the documentation issue for that - it's not really an issue as long as your prepared.

For what it's worth, when my wife and I linked our accounts it took <48 hours for it to be approved.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, AS
This is part of KE's program rules. I plan to treat it as anything else, use the rules of the program to maximize the benefits. If the program does not work for you then as you say there are many other programs without this restriction. You may use any one of those that better fits your needs.

You do not have to physically send in the docs. There is an online form to apply to add a family member. I used this last week. I scanned my passport and my daughter's birth certificate, filled out the online form including attaching the files with the scans, and submitted online. Even though the form claimed it could take a while (I forget now exactly how long, 5-10 days?) I received an e-mail the next day informing me my application had been approved and she is now a family member from my account. So if you are pressed for time try the online application.

https://kr.koreanair.com/global/en/p...y-family-apply
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Productivity

For what it's worth, when my wife and I linked our accounts it took <48 hours for it to be approved.
Thank you for the data point. That's good to hear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.