Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Verification

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Amb, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Club Gold
Credit Card Verification

I'm trying to purchase a ticket for a family member and this information has popped up.

Prior to boarding the initial departing flight or on the date of boarding, the credit card holder is required to visit a Korean Air Branch office located in the city or at the airport with a photo ID and the credit card used to purchase the ticket in order to verify the credit card payment.
Failure to carry out this procedure will result in the cancellation of your purchased ticket. It will be processed for a refund and you must purchase a new ticket.
Confirmation of credit card payment is included in the e-Ticket ITR and sent to passengers required to undergo the credit card payment verification procedure.
Please check if the verification procedure applies to you.

Does this mean that if I make the purchase, they will be unable to board the plane?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by cykj
I'm trying to purchase a ticket for a family member and this information has popped up.

Prior to boarding the initial departing flight or on the date of boarding, the credit card holder is required to visit a Korean Air Branch office located in the city or at the airport with a photo ID and the credit card used to purchase the ticket in order to verify the credit card payment.
Failure to carry out this procedure will result in the cancellation of your purchased ticket. It will be processed for a refund and you must purchase a new ticket.
Confirmation of credit card payment is included in the e-Ticket ITR and sent to passengers required to undergo the credit card payment verification procedure.
Please check if the verification procedure applies to you.

Does this mean that if I make the purchase, they will be unable to board the plane?
yep, I just had to do this about two months ago. When you receive the confirmation email, at the bottom of the purchase confirmation it will have a credit card authorization form. You will need to verify your credit card and photo id prior to them travelling if you aren't travelling with them. If you dont do it, they will have the option to use their own cc at checkin at the same price as original purchase amount and your cc will be refunded. Another option is going thru an online travel agency such as expedia and then it will not be required.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Amb, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Club Gold
Thanks! Curiously enough, this notice goes away when I purchase using "Verify by Visa", so hopefully that'll work. I was trying to pay with an AMEX before.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If you see the message, it will happen. I've flown KE over the years on many kinds of tickets (travel agent, awards, etc.). The one time I actually purchased direct from their own Korean Air website, that message popped up...and sure enough, she asked for the card at check in.

BUT be careful. I also used an American Visa card on their Korean website (this was bought in maybe October 2015 for a flight in December 2015).

To make sure you are safe, you should be able to mail a copy of the credit card front and back to Korean Air and they should be able to clear the security flag that way.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:41 am

Where exactly is this written? I just recently bought a r/t ticket NGO-YYZ via ICN and nowhere in the long ... PDF ticket does it mention anything about credit card checks? I also used "verified by visa", maybe that is why nothing is showing up?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/.../par/text.html
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:44 pm

Thanks for the link!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:57 am

Update: Called up Korean Air and they said I won't have to present card upon check in. I guess verified by visa gets rid of these "messages" that people have been getting. I have not seen any of the messages from the beginning. Also, my ticket was purchased on Korean air (japanese) website.

Last edited by jxjan; Oct 5, 2016 at 6:04 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:31 pm

My credit card was reported to fraud so I have a different number. I am having to print out a statement of the purchase and a confirmation from the bank that the card was re-issued.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Thai
Almost all international flights require you to show the credit card at check in. EVA asks every time I travel. So does Cathay and Thai.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Cameron38
Almost all international flights require you to show the credit card at check in. EVA asks every time I travel. So does Cathay and Thai.
There are way more airlines who don't do this vs. those who do. There are other ways to prevent credit card fraud that don't involve inconveniencing the passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.