Wiki Posts
Search

Bad customer service Korean Air

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Bad customer service Korean Air

I traveled on Emirates in Dec. 2013.

I filed for mileage credit with Korean Airlines in Aug 2014.

I attached scans of my e-ticket and boarding passes.

Korean Air is denying the credit saying that Emirates cannot pull info about the flight since it was in Dec. 2013.

This is really bad customer service.

Any advice if there is any other recourse I have for getting mileage credit.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
umm...what's the limit for KAL re retrospective mileage credit?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
from the KAL website...

"When using code share flights, mileage accrual conditions can vary according to the standards of the actual carrier."

it could be due to Emirates, in which case, KAL can't really do anything about it.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by dinjal546
I traveled on Emirates in Dec. 2013.

I filed for mileage credit with Korean Airlines in Aug 2014.
Why did you wait 8 months before requesting credit?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sol95
umm...what's the limit for KAL re retrospective mileage credit?
Not sure about KE but DL allows up to 9 months.

OTOH, KE only credit EK full or close to full fare. All First class fares earn miles, but none of the discount economy, and some discount business, fares earn any KE miles. i.e. fares most people book earn no KE miles. You may want to check your booking class before pursuing further.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
"Accrual of omitted mileage can be done up to one year following the date of travel, and requires confirmation of the original boarding pass and flight ticket receipt (purchase confirmation receipt for e-Tickets) that passengers should submit to any Korean Air office."
OP should push KE & EK for credit. I think waiting this long was a stupid move BUT it is within the SkyPass rules.

Originally Posted by TerryK
Not sure about KE but DL allows up to 9 months.

OTOH, KE only credit EK full or close to full fare. All First class fares earn miles, but none of the discount economy, and some discount business, fares earn any KE miles. i.e. fares most people book earn no KE miles. You may want to check your booking class before pursuing further.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

The ticket was booked in economy class.

The boarding pass and the eticket mention economy as its class and not any letters.

The ticket was booked on Emirates website itself. I had put my Korean Air skypass number in the frequent flyer area of the ticket.

I assumed that the miles would have been credited since everything was in order on the the ticket.

Anyway the deadline for filing for miles credit is one year from travel.

Yes waiting this long is stupid.

I will have to push KE and Emirates to give me miles.

Is there a supervisor email or phone to contact KE to take it to the next level.

Even though Emirates cannot find the record KE should have accepted the etickets and boarding passes as proof and credited the miles

This is where good customer service differentiates itself from bad.

Not sure on what basis Emirates rates itself a premier airline when it could not even locate the travel records of a passenger traveled within a year.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
"Accrual of omitted mileage can be done up to one year following the date of travel, and requires confirmation of the original boarding pass and flight ticket receipt (purchase confirmation receipt for e-Tickets) that passengers should submit to any Korean Air office."
OP should push KE & EK for credit. I think waiting this long was a stupid move BUT it is within the SkyPass rules.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ticket was booked in economy class.......The ticket was booked on Emirates website itself. I had put my Korean Air skypass number in the frequent flyer area of the ticket.

I assumed that the miles would have been credited since everything was in order on the the ticket.......
For EK economy, only full Y fare earn KE miles. Unless you had purchased non-discounted fully flexible Y fare, which is higher than discount Business class fare, you will not receive any KE miles. Yes, you did everything correctly, but KE computer probably rejected it due to booking class. Hardly anyone ever purchase fully flexible Y fare.

....Even though Emirates cannot find the record KE should have accepted the etickets and boarding passes as proof and credited the miles....
KE cannot accept that since it doesn't show booking class. As mentioned above, only EK Y fare is eligible for KE miles.

Frankly, I don't think you are eligible for KE miles to begin with.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 4, 2014 at 5:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.