Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

one way award includes US domestic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I want to get a one way award using KE miles to SE Asia or East Asia (actual destination is not set yet, but point being it will be one hop away from ICN).

I'm based in BOS, and the closest KE destination is JFK. I was wondering how it would work:

1. Do I need to buy JFK - ICN - SIN (say), for 95k miles, and somehow get to JFK on my own? (not a big problem since I can just take the bus or train but it is an added hassle)

OR

2. Can I somehow buy BOS - JFK - ICN - SIN for the same 95k miles? I think Delta serves that route. Would this somehow convert the award into a "skyteam" itinerary and thus making it not eligible for one way award?

Thing is, if I were to buy from BOS - SIN directly via most websites (specifying I want to fly KE), they'd give me BOS - JFK - ICN - SIN anyways.

Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:22 am

KE has dual redemption system for KE-only and skyteam. Skyteam redemption only works for roundtrip, so #2 isn't an option since you're doing one way. #1 is the way for you.

By the way, most websites don't give BOS-JFK-ICN-SIN using DL's BOS-JFK and KE all the others because they don't interline fares. It is always AA or B6.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
If I book my award JFK-ICN and i separately book BOS-JFK on B6, can they interline or will I still need to collect my bag?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by stompey5
If I book my award JFK-ICN and i separately book BOS-JFK on B6, can they interline or will I still need to collect my bag?
I don't have definite answer, but according to jetblue website, it should be single ticket: http://www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/ While it will be worth try, I would have enough transfer time just in case. If you can book AA, that will work out better. I've never had an issue when checking in with AA using a separate ticket.

Recently more and more people buys separate tickets with KE, and KE is very flexible and supportive regarding this. But since you're checking in with B6, I'm not sure.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by stompey5
Bags can go all the way. However, it really depends on how B6 check-in counter person handles.

I did multiple occasions with different alliance airlines. I think 75% I was able to check my bag all the way when I checked my bag from US airports while 100% from ICN. Some agents were not supportive.

Just show the agent your ticket and say your final destination is ICN. If the agent prints a tag with ICN, then you are good to go.
However, you have to go to KE gate and get a KE boarding pass.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:44 am

Are there any routes at all anywhere within the USA that are eligible to be combined with a KE-only award (e.g. ICN-JFK-??? for the same amount of miles as ICN-JFK)? e.g. A KE fifth-freedom flight, codeshare, or whatever?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by The Shadow
Are there any routes at all anywhere within the USA that are eligible to be combined with a KE-only award (e.g. ICN-JFK-??? for the same amount of miles as ICN-JFK)? e.g. A KE fifth-freedom flight, codeshare, or whatever?
No that would require onward KE flight, which is obviously not allowed within USA.

BTW this is not fifth freedom (travel between two countries other than the home country of the airline without requiring any connecting flights to/from the home country), but rather is eighth freedom.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No that would require onward KE flight, which is obviously not allowed within USA.

BTW this is not fifth freedom (travel between two countries other than the home country of the airline without requiring any connecting flights to/from the home country), but rather is eighth freedom.
Thanks for your response, and please pardon my ignorance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.