Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

How is Korean Airlines Economy Seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is Korean Airlines Economy Seating

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:52 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by 54austin
Posted in wrong forum - please delete.

Sorry!
Ha ha
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by floridastorm
I have flown on Korean a couple of times Orlando - Bangkok and return. They are a superb airline, hands down. If you have to fly cattle class internationally, Korean and Singapore are the airlines to book. That being said, the A380-800 is the newest in their fleet. The problem I find with this Airbus airplane is the seating configuration. Most Airbus aircraft have 2-5-2 seating. The A380 has 3-4-3 seating. There are no seats, on this aircraft, where two people can sit by themselves. Which means that my wife and I have to be in the 3 seat configuration with another person. Also, I have to sit in the middle as I want my wife to be as comfortable as possible. Sitting in the middle seat for hours on end is no fun. Also, you never know who you are going to get sitting next to you. We flew on Korean before they installed the new economy seats which have more legroom and are the wider shell type. So, there is a possibility that the 3 seat configuration may be at least OK. The B777 aircraft, that Korean flies out of some US airports, has a few 2 seat configurations, and may be a better option.
What planes have this 2-5-2 seating configuration as standard?! This is the exception, rather than the norm.

All the operators of the A380 I know have 3-4-3 seating arrangement for economy on the lower deck (some operators have a smaller Y cabin at the back of the upper deck, and the seating there is usually 2-4-2 - eg, SQ)
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by sol95
What planes have this 2-5-2 seating configuration as standard?! This is the exception, rather than the norm.

All the operators of the A380 I know have 3-4-3 seating arrangement for economy on the lower deck (some operators have a smaller Y cabin at the back of the upper deck, and the seating there is usually 2-4-2 - eg, SQ)
The A340 and A330, both long hall aircraft built by Airbus, all have either 2-5-2 or 2-4-2 configuration. The only long hall aircraft, with Korean, that does not have these configurations is the A380 which has 3-4-3 configuration. There are no seats on this aircraft that are only 2 seats together.

The B747 and B777 are mostly configured 3-5-3 or 3-4-3. However, these aircraft do have a very few seats that are 2 seats together. Maybe between 6 and 12 total.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
The A340 and A330, both long hall aircraft built by Airbus, all have either 2-5-2 or 2-4-2 configuration. The only long hall aircraft, with Korean, that does not have these configurations is the A380 which has 3-4-3 configuration. There are no seats on this aircraft that are only 2 seats together.

The B747 and B777 are mostly configured 3-5-3 or 3-4-3. However, these aircraft do have a very few seats that are 2 seats together. Maybe between 6 and 12 total.
Your quote which I've bolded is a bit misleading. I know most A330s have a 2-4-2 configuration in Y. But that's completely different to a 2-5-2 config, which is what you mentioned specifically, and I was commenting on that. having a 2-5-2 seating config is very out-of-the-ordinary. as for the A340, most airlines seem to be phasing them out. and your complaint re the A380 is not a specific Korean Air issue. All A380 operators have the 3-4-3 seating config in the lower deck Y cabin.

But for your problem, why don't you just ask for exit row seats then?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:58 am

1. A330/A340 only have 2-4-2 in 99.9% of the cases. Only one airline that I know of, Air Asia X, have something different on their A330 (3-3-3). Everyone else is 2-4-2.

2. Everyone's A380 in the world has 3-4-3 on the lower deck and 2-4-2 on the upper deck as the main configuration. There are a handful of exceptions where the fuselage narrows or other configuration issues.

3. Every single B747 in the world (at least those that I have ever seen or heard about) has 3-4-3 in Y as the main configuration.. Again, some exceptions where the fuselage narrows or other configuration issues.

4. There are a mixture of Y configurations in 777, which are generally between 2-5-2, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3. Some seats on the 3-3-3 and 3-4-3s are arranged in pairs, again due to the fuselage or other configuration reasons.

5. No airline in the world currently has 3-5-3 on any aircraft, full stop.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by sol95
Your quote which I've bolded is a bit misleading. I know most A330s have a 2-4-2 configuration in Y. But that's completely different to a 2-5-2 config, which is what you mentioned specifically, and I was commenting on that. having a 2-5-2 seating config is very out-of-the-ordinary. as for the A340, most airlines seem to be phasing them out. and your complaint re the A380 is not a specific Korean Air issue. All A380 operators have the 3-4-3 seating config in the lower deck Y cabin.

But for your problem, why don't you just ask for exit row seats then?
There is only one point that I was trying to make and not trying to get into a technical argument. I originally stated that on international flights I looked for aircraft configurations that allowed for two seats together because my wife and I would prefer sitting together only without one of us having to sit in the middle of a three seat row. This seating arrangement is only available on the A330 and A340 aircraft (2-4-3 configuration). The A380 has only a 3-4-3 configuration and has no economy class seats with two seats only. The B777 and B747 aircraft have 3-4-3 seat configuration. However, there are approximately 14 two seat configurations on most Boeing long haul aircraft. I don't fly business or first class and this is not about those classes.

Exit row seats have the same configuration as all other seats, 3-4-3, with the exception of more leg room.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm +, AA, WN, OZ, EK
At least for KE,

777: 3-3-3
747: 3-4-3
330: 2-4-2
380: 3-4-3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.