Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Extended Chuseok Holiday

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

2017 Extended Chuseok Holiday

I booked my honeymoon trip a year out and failed to realize our travel dates will coincide with this years Chuseok.
Our itinerary has us landing late night on October 5th with a late night departure on October 9th.
With this years Chuseok becoming a mega holiday, will my wife and I have a harder than usual time finding things open during the weekend?
I've reached out to my hotels, and while they expect businesses to get back on track by Friday, October 6th, they won't be sure til the week of.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Chuseok holiday will be 10 days for the lucky

It can be one mega 10 day week off for those lucky government workers and banks.

I think 10/6-9 and everything will be open or back to normal. Depends what you want to do but I guarantee department stores and malls will be open.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
Chuseok holiday will be 10 days for the lucky

It can be one mega 10 day week off for those lucky government workers and banks.

I think 10/6-9 and everything will be open or back to normal. Depends what you want to do but I guarantee department stores and malls will be open.
Thanks for the quick response. Any idea what the taxi situation will look like? Though taking the train seems ideal, a trip with the wife equals lots of shopping bags and taxis...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
While things will be eerily quiet, you will still be able to find taxis. They won't be as plentiful, but they will be there. Especially at train and bus stations, there will be looooong lines for them and you'll have to wait a while.

Many places will be closed, sure, but you will still be able to enjoy yourself. Just in a muuuuuch quieter city. You can find good restaurants, still go to tourist places, etc. Don't worry too much.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SQ007
Thanks for the quick response. Any idea what the taxi situation will look like? Though taking the train seems ideal, a trip with the wife equals lots of shopping bags and taxis...
Stay near Myeongdong if she wants to hit up all the department stores .
Taxis should be fine.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
While things will be eerily quiet, you will still be able to find taxis. They won't be as plentiful, but they will be there. Especially at train and bus stations, there will be looooong lines for them and you'll have to wait a while.

Many places will be closed, sure, but you will still be able to enjoy yourself. Just in a muuuuuch quieter city. You can find good restaurants, still go to tourist places, etc. Don't worry too much.
Not looking forward to the long queues for taxis, but a quiet Seoul is definitely a plus for me.

Stay near Myeongdong if she wants to hit up all the department stores .
Taxis should be fine.
Had booked near Myeongdong originally but couldn't pass up the recent 50% sale at the Conrad. Hoping the quality of the hotel will overcome the shortcomings of it being so far from all the good stuff...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SQ007
Not looking forward to the long queues for taxis, but a quiet Seoul is definitely a plus for me.

Had booked near Myeongdong originally but couldn't pass up the recent 50% sale at the Conrad. Hoping the quality of the hotel will overcome the shortcomings of it being so far from all the good stuff...
There's a mall right there! IFC with tons of shops.

Line 9 to Gangnam and COEX then taxi back maybe. Line 5 to Dongdaemun Culutre Park and you're set for shopping.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

There's a mall right there! IFC with tons of shops.

Line 9 to Gangnam and COEX then taxi back maybe. Line 5 to Dongdaemun Culutre Park and you're set for shopping.
Duly noted. Much appreciated!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:24 pm

Even better. Line 9 EXPRESS. It is always busy (sardine can at rush hour) but damn faster than regular line.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:15 am

AMAZING NEWS: I randomly checked and train tickets are easily available this year!!!

Both KTX and SRT for both Gwangju and Busan lines. Looks like my bf will be taking SRT (in my hood) to Gwangju/Jeolla to see his family and his hometown.

SRT does not offer an English page (KTX does), so I would suggest using a service like Ask Ajumma to buy tickets for you. They specialize in doing things on Korean pages that foreigners can't do.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or just get the Conrad concierge to do it for you.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:43 pm

The 2017 Chuseok Holiday Schedule for Attractions and Shops has been posted. Should give you a rough idea of when things will be open/closed during the extended Chuseok holiday week.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChemDoctor
The 2017 Chuseok Holiday Schedule for Attractions and Shops has been posted. Should give you a rough idea of when things will be open/closed during the extended Chuseok holiday week.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.