Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline inside Korea?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Which airline inside Korea?

Which airline would be best to take for domestic flights in Korea? Like most Westerners, I know nothing about Korean aviation, so it's only the incidents that KE and OZ have had that stick and make me a bit apprehensive. Surely that's a skewed picture?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Don't worry. They're both completely safe and fly hundreds of flights every day both within Korean and around the world. If you think about it, Seoul to Jeju is the busiest route in the world, with what seems like 100 flights per day. Literally every 10 minutes on every airline. Nothing has happened.

If you're going within the country, instead of flying, try KTX or bus. If you're going to Jeju, you could also go by ferry.

Otherwise, any airline to Jeju will be fine. Don't worry too much about this. Besides KE and OZ, there's Eastar, Jin Air, Tway and Jeju Air. They're significantly less than KE and OZ on the flights to Jeju.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Thank you! Always good to hear insider knowledge to put things into perspective.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Train is often more conveniently located and on a better schedule. Especially if you're going from Seoul to Busan or Daegu. Korean Air and Asiana domestic is fine. Used both from ICN to TAE and to CJU.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Yes, Korea isn't a very big country, and it's only about 3 hours from Busan to Seoul on the KTX, and you go city center to city center, without having to worry about airport transport.

I find train travel to be far more interesting than flying within a country, because you get to see the countryside and the small towns.

The KTX is not as sleek and modern as Japan's Shinkansen, but it does the job.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksandness
Yes, Korea isn't a very big country, and it's only about 3 hours from Busan to Seoul on the KTX, and you go city center to city center, without having to worry about airport transport.

I find train travel to be far more interesting than flying within a country, because you get to see the countryside and the small towns.

The KTX is not as sleek and modern as Japan's Shinkansen, but it does the job.
better to use Mugunghwa for that slow travel, seeing countryside than KTX. So many times KTX is walled off or just zooms by on the Gyeongbu.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
KTX is enjoyable in 1st class, not so much in standard due to lack of personal space. Pricing is very civil.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
If you think about it, Seoul to Jeju is the busiest route in the world, with what seems like 100 flights per day...... They're significantly less than KE and OZ on the flights to Jeju.
Does OZ fly to Jeju Island from ICN, or strictly from GMP, and what is flying time, less than 1h?

Thanks,

LFC
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvFclass
Does OZ fly to Jeju Island from ICN, or strictly from GMP, and what is flying time, less than 1h?

Thanks,

LFC
Flies from both. it's little over an hour to Jeju from both airports. GMP has better flight times and is way closer to the city though.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:43 am

[QUOTE=Aventine;25395995]Flies from both. it's little over an hour to Jeju from both airports. GMP has better flight times and is way closer to the city though.[/QUOTE

The reason with ICN is, I may just connect straight through to CJU upon my late afternoon landing in ICN, and connect thru to Jeju Island <24h later. See the sights and sounds of Incheon City for the first time, and generally relax. This way, I also can connect in J on the same inbound AC Aeroplan ticket.

Thanks Aventine.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
From what I can see (OAG data), OZ only has 6 weekly flights ICN-CJU currently. Evening departures - and no flights on Mon & Fri.

Connecting from ICN to GMP is very easy, as I'm sure you are aware.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason with ICN is, I may just connect straight through to CJU upon my late afternoon landing in ICN, and connect thru to Jeju Island <24h later. See the sights and sounds of Incheon City for the first time, and generally relax. This way, I also can connect in J on the same inbound AC Aeroplan ticket.

Thanks Aventine.
Incheon the city is a bit far away from Incheon the airport.
The Chinatown is okay but the food is Korean Chinese food. The Incheon landing spot from the Korean War is also a neat piece of history.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Incheon the city is a bit far away from Incheon the airport.
The Chinatown is okay but the food is Korean Chinese food. The Incheon landing spot from the Korean War is also a neat piece of history.
Thanks Aventine for this insight. Was just trying to save a trip into Seoul for the (T-24h) evening, then turn around and head back to either GMP or ICN for the flight to CJU. It will be a mid week arrival, so I can still catch the OZ flight from ICN, as I am not sure if my one way rewards allow open jaw or not. Either way, I will see CJU next spring.

^
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Aventine for this insight. Was just trying to save a trip into Seoul for the (T-24h) evening, then turn around and head back to either GMP or ICN for the flight to CJU. It will be a mid week arrival, so I can still catch the OZ flight from ICN, as I am not sure if my one way rewards allow open jaw or not. Either way, I will see CJU next spring.

^
Try to time the flights so you can just slide over to domestic at ICN or get over to GMP. Tons of flights per day to Jeju and even using LCC isn't bad either. Deals can be had. try to book your accommodation in advance. Koreans flock to Jeju in spring!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
try to book your accommodation in advance. Koreans flock to Jeju in spring!
Any good recommendations on where I can stay whilst in Jeju? I am open to trying all types of accommodations in Korea. Traditional housing is fine ^ or 5-star hotels is okay too.

Thanks,

LFC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.