Seoul for 4 days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seoul for 4 days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I'm not sure about football jerseys. Call 1330. The tourist hotline. They can tell you exactly where to buy them.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help mikesaidyes and others who contributed to this thread. Seoul was fantastic, spent enough time to want to go back again. There were still a bunch of things we wanted to do that we didn't have the time for. For example, the War Memorial is tough to do in just an hour or two, need nearly a full day for it.

In general loved how the museums were either completely free or very inexpensive. For instance one night while walking along Sejong-ro near the statue of Sejong the Great, we just chanced upon some stairs leading down behind the statue. Turned out this was a whole museum dedicated to the development of Hangul and its history. And connected to it was another museum about Admiral Yi Sun-sin and his battles against the Japanese navy. (There was a section in the War Memorial about this as well, but not as detailed.) Everything was interactive and free, we showed up maybe around 7 pm or so and there was hardly anyone there, so we roamed around freely.

Also with regards to language, everything seemed to be accessible in English as well as Japanese. I was actually surprised by the amount of Japanese I heard spoken, especially in the Myeongdong area. I guess this is because there are a lot of tourists from Japan that come and stay there? Or in general does the level of Japanese in Seoul have anything to do with the fact that Korea used to be a Japanese colony? Was curious about this.

The Old City Hall was great as well, they've turned that into a museum/library.

Anyway, there's just so much to see, will definitely have to go back.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:54 pm

Good to hear. Now I need to pick your brain! I'm headed to Tokyo for a third time next month. I've done all the "main" touristy stuff...now I need more! Perhaps even a good day trip to the countryside?

I'm arriving on a Fri night to Haneda at like 10:30, leave on Monday morning at 8 AM. I'll probably just get an AirBnB in Rappongi (found one for like 90 USD).
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:15 am
Original Poster

You'll be coming at a good time. Is it early/late next month? Either way the weather should be nice. Good time to visit some of the parks, in particular Shinjuku Gyouen. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3034_001.html

If you like hiking you could go to Mt Takao about an hour west of Shinjuku on the Keio Line. Top to bottom is around 90 minutes although you can save time if you choose to take the cable car part of the way. On a good day you can get a nice view of Mt Fuji from the summit. There's also a beer garden when you get to the top but unfortunately it doesn't open until the summer. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3029.html

If you want a bit of taste of Kyoto near Tokyo, you could check out Kamakura, which is about an hour south of Tokyo. You can visit the shrines. Walk along Komachi Dori near the train station and try the free food samples from vendors hehe.

There's tons of other side trip ideas that I haven't yet gone on myself. E.g. Nikko, Hakone, etc.

For stuff within Tokyo as well, would depend on your interests, there's just so much to do. What have you seen already?

Japan Guide is an excellent resource. As is the Japan subforum here.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Also, the JSA tour guides charge around the same, 90 USD. Cosmojin and Koridoor (USO) are the two big players. I wouldn't waste time visiting offices in the Lotte Hotel, just book it online in advance. These tours also fill up and sell out in advance.
Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer
Thanks for the info. I tried booking the JSA tour online and it seems they want my credit card info upfront. This is in case I cancel within a day or two of the tour date, they will charge me something for it anyway. I'm a bit hesitant to provide cc info in a non-secure way e.g. via email or phone. Do you remember this being an issue for you?

Thanks. Definitely plan on seeing both the War Museum and the Olympic Park.
Originally Posted by rizayosia
Hmm, they didn't ask for my cc at that time. Maybe you are contacting a different provider than the one that I used. I simply sent an email to [email protected] to register. I also included the photo page of my passport and my contact number when I sent the email.
Sorry about the confusion. I checked and it is in fact a different provider, Panmunjom Tours. I had gone with the list that they have here: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_4_1.jsp
They all seem to offer the same tour, except this one has a North Korean defector as a tour guide, which I thought could be interesting. I will sort it out with them about cc info.
Thanks for all the help mikesaidyes and others who contributed to this thread. Seoul was fantastic, spent enough time to want to go back again. There were still a bunch of things we wanted to do that we didn't have the time for. For example, the War Memorial is tough to do in just an hour or two, need nearly a full day for it.

In general loved how the museums were either completely free or very inexpensive. For instance one night while walking along Sejong-ro near the statue of Sejong the Great, we just chanced upon some stairs leading down behind the statue. Turned out this was a whole museum dedicated to the development of Hangul and its history. And connected to it was another museum about Admiral Yi Sun-sin and his battles against the Japanese navy. (There was a section in the War Memorial about this as well, but not as detailed.) Everything was interactive and free, we showed up maybe around 7 pm or so and there was hardly anyone there, so we roamed around freely.

Also with regards to language, everything seemed to be accessible in English as well as Japanese. I was actually surprised by the amount of Japanese I heard spoken, especially in the Myeongdong area. I guess this is because there are a lot of tourists from Japan that come and stay there? Or in general does the level of Japanese in Seoul have anything to do with the fact that Korea used to be a Japanese colony? Was curious about this.

The Old City Hall was great as well, they've turned that into a museum/library.

Anyway, there's just so much to see, will definitely have to go back.
Hi Mike and shinjukuflyer,

I will go to Korea for first time on April 6 to 14, will arrive around 9 pm at night. My hotel is in Jongno 5 ga station. Do you know how to get there from ICN airport and how much is the fee? Is it best by train or bus?

I also plan to buy T-money pass at Incheon airport, according from what I read, Mike said that the initial purchase could be made by credit card. What does the initial purchase mean in this case? So let's say the fee for the card is $5 and then I want to load $20 on the card, then can I pay $25 by american credit card when I bought it first time from the shop in Incheon airport?

I'm interested to join the JSA tour, which one did you book it from, care to share the website of the tour company that you book it from? really appreciate it! And is it worth it to add DMZ tour on top of JSA tour, or JSA tour itself is enough? can we take pictures of the JSA during the tour?

Last edited by joykid; Mar 23, 2015 at 11:57 pm
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joykid
Hi Mike and shinjukuflyer,

I will go to Korea for first time on April 6 to 14, will arrive around 9 pm at night. My hotel is in Jongno 5 ga station. Do you know how to get there from ICN airport and how much is the fee? Is it best by train or bus?
I'm not sure about exact route, maybe mikesaidyes can help. What I will suggest is it depends on how much luggage you have. If you have heavy bags, you probably want to take the bus and not have to worry about transferring on trains. And for the way back to the airport I would definitely take the bus. In my case even though we only had carry-ons, on the way back we had to stand in a crowded train for a good 30 minutes, which wasn't fun. Bus costs more but I would gladly pay a bit more for the convenience of an assigned seat.

I also plan to buy T-money pass at Incheon airport, according from what I read, Mike said that the initial purchase could be made by credit card. What does the initial purchase mean in this case? So let's say the fee for the card is $5 and then I want to load $20 on the card, then can I pay $25 by american credit card when I bought it first time from the shop in Incheon airport?
The card itself costs 3,000 KRW, which is nonrefundable, and doesn't count towards any fare. This purchase can be made with a credit card. Any amount you load on it is cash only.

I'm interested to join the JSA tour, which one did you book it from, care to share the website of the tour company that you book it from? really appreciate it! And is it worth it to add DMZ tour on top of JSA tour, or JSA tour itself is enough? can we take pictures of the JSA during the tour?
I booked through Panmunjom Travel Center http://www.panmunjomtour.com/en/prog..._url=program_1
You can check others for comparison here if you scroll to the bottom: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_4_1.jsp
I personally feel just the JSA tour is enough. DMZ + JSA with the tour agency I picked would've meant doing the 3rd Infiltration Tunnel and Dora Observatory in addition to the JSA tour. Didn't seem worth it. And yeah you can take photos inside the JSA but only when told it is okay, you can't take them freely.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:07 pm

I'm not sure about exact route, maybe mikesaidyes can help. What I will suggest is it depends on how much luggage you have. If you have heavy bags, you probably want to take the bus and not have to worry about transferring on trains. And for the way back to the airport I would definitely take the bus. In my case even though we only had carry-ons, on the way back we had to stand in a crowded train for a good 30 minutes, which wasn't fun. Bus costs more but I would gladly pay a bit more for the convenience of an assigned seat.

The card itself costs 3,000 KRW, which is nonrefundable, and doesn't count towards any fare. This purchase can be made with a credit card. Any amount you load on it is cash only.

I booked through Panmunjom Travel Center http://www.panmunjomtour.com/en/prog..._url=program_1
You can check others for comparison here if you scroll to the bottom: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_4_1.jsp
I personally feel just the JSA tour is enough. DMZ + JSA with the tour agency I picked would've meant doing the 3rd Infiltration Tunnel and Dora Observatory in addition to the JSA tour. Didn't seem worth it. And yeah you can take photos inside the JSA but only when told it is okay, you can't take them freely.
Thanks shinjukuflyer. How was your experience with Panmunjom Travel Center?
1. What kind of lunch did they serve you and was it good?
2. How was the english speaking tour guide? did he/she knowledgeable and kind, happy to assist to answer any questions?
3. Can you take pictures of the N. Korean soldiers?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:50 pm

What is the name of your hotel? And yes, it's true that the bus is more comfortable with a guaranteed seat. The train is cheaper (4,000W versus 13,000W or so) and there's no traffic on the train.

You can pay for the T-Money card fee with your card. You actually buy the card at the GS25 by Exit 10. Then, to charge it, you must use cash.

For the DMZ, I'd actually recommend doing everything. You're paying a lot of money for the JSA, so you might as well have them take you to the other places. The other places (3rd Tunnel, Dora Observatory) are actually the only places Koreans and other tour groups go. I used Koridoor USO Tour. It was like 90,000W and ours was from 7a-3p.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
What is the name of your hotel? And yes, it's true that the bus is more comfortable with a guaranteed seat. The train is cheaper (4,000W versus 13,000W or so) and there's no traffic on the train.

You can pay for the T-Money card fee with your card. You actually buy the card at the GS25 by Exit 10. Then, to charge it, you must use cash.

For the DMZ, I'd actually recommend doing everything. You're paying a lot of money for the JSA, so you might as well have them take you to the other places. The other places (3rd Tunnel, Dora Observatory) are actually the only places Koreans and other tour groups go. I used Koridoor USO Tour. It was like 90,000W and ours was from 7a-3p.
It's Amiga Inn in Jongno. 46-8 Jong-ro 31-gil, Jongno-gu, 서울특별시 South Korea.
Looks like I have to withdraw or exchange some cash in Incheon, do you know the best place to exchange in Incheon?
And my flight arrive at 9 pm in Incheon, does the store at the GS25 by Exit 10 still open at that time?
90,000 won for the tour that you paid is including both JSA and DMZ tours?
How was the tour guide, can he/she speaks english well and knowledgeable and nice? and how was the lunch, what kind of lunch did they give you?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:13 am

To get to your hotel. Naver Maps (which is what everyone uses here, not Google), says that the easiest thing to do is to take the ALL STOP Airport Express and transfer at Gongdeok Station to Line 5. Once on Line 5, you get off at Euljiro-4 Station at Exit 4. You'd walk straight for ten minutes. Turn right before Jongno Place and walk just another two or three minutes.

The hotel website says you have two options. Subway to Jongno 5 Station, come out of Exit 14. Walk ahead and turn right in between a CU Mart and Boryeong Pharmacy. Walk up that alley 150m and you will see the hotel.

Or, they just say take Airport Bus 6002 and get off at Jongno 4 Stop. No other details for that is given.

You have to pay extra for lunch. The JSA tour guide is actually an army staff that's his job to do tours 24/7. The bus tour guide just tells you very little as she's just a chaperone. She spoke English fairly well. At the tunnel, you also watch a video. The observatory, is, well, just an observatory and you just look. Lunch was an extra 10,000W. It was between meat (bulgogi) and bibimpbap.

For money at ICN, you can use any ATM that has the Global Sticker. All of the exchange places in Incheon Airport are run by the big banks here, no sketchy, rip off Travelex places.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:14 am

And yes, that GS 25 should still be open at 10 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joykid
Thanks shinjukuflyer. How was your experience with Panmunjom Travel Center?
1. What kind of lunch did they serve you and was it good?
2. How was the english speaking tour guide? did he/she knowledgeable and kind, happy to assist to answer any questions?
3. Can you take pictures of the N. Korean soldiers?
1. Bulgogi, it was pretty good. The vegetarian option was bibimbap. Lunch was included in the tour, but drinks were extra.
2. Tour guide was great, no problems there. They had a North Korean defector accompany us on the bus ride from Seoul, that was pretty interesting to hear her Q&A.
3. There won't be any North Korean soldiers. North Korea hasn't sent any JSA tours from their side since November, citing Ebola concerns. This is pretty much what you will see, with the lone North Korean soldier standing guard way in the distance. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...unjeom_DMZ.png
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:00 pm

1. Bulgogi, it was pretty good. The vegetarian option was bibimbap. Lunch was included in the tour, but drinks were extra.
2. Tour guide was great, no problems there. They had a North Korean defector accompany us on the bus ride from Seoul, that was pretty interesting to hear her Q&A.
3. There won't be any North Korean soldiers. North Korea hasn't sent any JSA tours from their side since November, citing Ebola concerns. This is pretty much what you will see, with the lone North Korean soldier standing guard way in the distance. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...unjeom_DMZ.png
I am still debating on whether or not I book this tour....my trip to Korea is next week.....the only reason that keep me hesitating is that if there's just a border and negotiation house and that's it....then is it worth it to spend $80-100 for tour that takes up your whole day in Korea that can be spend in some other more attractive spots or locations like Jeonju or Busan.....
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:39 pm

I think that if you want to see the DMZ to see it and mark it off the list, then it's only worth it to pay for the privilege of the JSA. The Observatory, train station and the tunnel are all fine and dandy, but not worth it to go there just for that. With the JSA, you're literally inside.

Also, if you go to Busan or Jeonju, you're still going to spend about that much money to get there round trip. Since you only have a little time, you'd take KTX. KTX is 50 each way.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 pm

and Shinjuku - the first time I went to Tokyo, I stayed in Shinjuku and did the big temple near Asakusa, dinner and shopping in Ginza and some stuff in Shibuya. Oh and Asakasa? maid cafe/video game neighborhood.

Last time, I stayed near Tamachi Station and did the palace, Odaiba, Disneyland and more food and shopping around Tokyo Station.

It will be my boyfriend's first trip, so of course, I'll have to revisit a lot of these places, but a day trip would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.