Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Korea Rail Pass, traveling in 1st class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President

Korea Rail Pass is available for traveling in 2nd Class on KTX. I was reading that you can travel in 1st and have to pay 50% of the difference. Did I get this right?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
1st class is not worth the extra money. The seat size is the same, but with more leg room. Normal economy class is spacious enough. The only thing extra you get is a bottle of water. The free wifi isn't that strong. They also say guaranteed quiet, but the normal seats are also pin drop quiet.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Thanks for the message. I just thought in 1st Class there'll be less people, so it would be more quite. And in case the surcharge is acceptable I would opt for it. Do you know about the surcharge policy for 1st class in case of KR Pass?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Seat size on the KTX is not the same. Seats in 1st class are much wider. So much wider that they can only fit the seats in a 2-1 arrangement. In economy seating, the layout is 2-2. I highly recommend traveling in 1st class if you can. It is not that much more expensive and generally much more spacious and quiet. Unfortunately I've never tried the KR Pass so I wouldn't know much about the 1st class surcharge, but if you have a chance, I would go for it.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I got an answer from the concierge of the WESTIN Seoul. The KR Pass can be used in 1st class - but you've to pay 50% of the difference between 1st and 2nd class in addition. So the KR Pass is a very good deal.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta Platinum, US Platimum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChristianKiev
I got an answer from the concierge of the WESTIN Seoul. The KR Pass can be used in 1st class - but you've to pay 50% of the difference between 1st and 2nd class in addition. So the KR Pass is a very good deal.
I travel KTX 1st class. If you can afford it, I recommend it.
More space and less people for sure. You will like it.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Correction: For me, I didn't notice a difference to spend the extra again. The regular seats were fine haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.