Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

6 hour layover in ICN - first class lounge or go out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:33 am
Original Poster

I'm flying in from LAX using KAL to ICN.
I will arrive at 6AM and my connecting flight is at 13:10.

I do have access to first class lounge at that time but I was thinking it will be a bit too long to sit around there the whole day.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Free tours

ICN offers free tours for intransite pass. Never done one aways to tired and emotional for in flight Champange But believe worth , check on line ICN airport for info Budhist temple + little local culture.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Free tours

ICN offers free tours for intransite pass. Never done one aways to tired and emotional for in flight Champange But believe worth , check on line ICN airport for info Budhist temple + little local culture.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:14 am

ICN is at least an hour from anything in Seoul worth seeing. Traffic on the bus, or getting lost on the metro is going to also eat into that time. You'll also have delays at immigration and security.

Enjoy the lounge and stay a little longer next time to make it worth your while to leave.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman
ICN is at least an hour from anything in Seoul worth seeing. Traffic on the bus, or getting lost on the metro is going to also eat into that time. You'll also have delays at immigration and security.

Enjoy the lounge and stay a little longer next time to make it worth your while to leave.
I was hoping that there were short transit tours that make this possible... but maybe it's not possible.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
They have short transit tours, but they're only at certain times.

http://www.airport.kr/iiacms/pageWor...de=C1202020600
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
If you don't mind being a bit adventurous, I say get out of the airport and take the AREX express or a limo bus to downtown Seoul. Personally I would take the limo bus as you can probably see more as the bus drives. Go to the Koreana hotel or Lotte hotel. Both are on KAL limo bus route #6701. From the hotel you can walk north towards Gwanghwamun palace. Perhaps explore the palace grounds and watch the changing of the guard ceremony. Mornings are a great time to go visit. If you are not coming on a weekend, there will probably not be too many visitors then.

But do be mindful of the time. If arriving at 6am, you could make it into the city by 7:30~8am. Factor in about an hour transit time both ways. 13:10 departure time usually means a 12:40 boarding time. So at the latest you should leave the city by 11am, if not earlier. So that will leave you with several hours to explore.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by nme7
If you don't mind being a bit adventurous, I say get out of the airport and take the AREX express or a limo bus to downtown Seoul. Personally I would take the limo bus as you can probably see more as the bus drives. Go to the Koreana hotel or Lotte hotel. Both are on KAL limo bus route #6701. From the hotel you can walk north towards Gwanghwamun palace. Perhaps explore the palace grounds and watch the changing of the guard ceremony. Mornings are a great time to go visit. If you are not coming on a weekend, there will probably not be too many visitors then.

But do be mindful of the time. If arriving at 6am, you could make it into the city by 7:30~8am. Factor in about an hour transit time both ways. 13:10 departure time usually means a 12:40 boarding time. So at the latest you should leave the city by 11am, if not earlier. So that will leave you with several hours to explore.
You mean Gyeongbokgung palace

Another option is to skip the bus, take the AREX to Seoul Station and then walk up (past Namdaemun and the goverment complex Seoul) to Gyeongbokgung.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Yes that is correct. Getting the two names mixed up!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Hmm.
So about 3 hours of outside time at the most.
I am leaning toward just staying in the first class lounge and taking a shower and maybe sleeping.

While I was transiting in Seoul, I noticed that there was a "Walker Hill" hotel inside the airport.
Has anyone been there.?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:27 am

as for ICN, I suggest you to stay, relax and discover within the airport.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:30 am

It's the "Airport Transit Hotel by WalkerHill." Walkerhill is simply a group of name brand hotels (Sheraton, The W) and a duty free store FAAAAAR EAST Seoul owned by...wait for it... SK. The same SK that's the country's largest mobile phone carrier! Korean conglomerates do own it all!

Three hours is plenty of time to explore Gwanghwamun and Insadong, the main tourist area. The bus is way more comfortable, but with a time crunch, the train is guaranteed to be on time and traffic-free. The train is only 5,000W each way.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Ooh wow I didn't know that there was a train.
That sounds great!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:54 am

Yes, take the ALL STOP Arex train to Seoul Station. The Express only runs twice an hour that early and it's double the price...to only save you ten minutes. You'll be at Seoul Station in 53 minutes.

Inside Seoul Station, there has to be a tourism or information booth. There's also tourist helpers in red jackets and big hats haha.

Otherwise, the easiest thing for you to do would be to take the Line 1 subway to Jongak Station (in the direction of City Hall). At Jongak Station, use Exit 3. Walk just a few minutes and you will see a park on your corner. Turn left there. You'll see a bunch of tourists and tour buses. That is Insadong. This area, while you're walking, Is Jongno. On the other side of the street (Exit 2 side), you will find many local restaurants and shops where office workers go. You won't get lost.

After you eat, check out tourist shopping, tea cafes etc. in Insadong, you will walk to the end of that street. At the end of the tourist drag (there's a convenience store at the end, maybe a GS 25) -- TURN LEFT. You will walk straight on that busy road for maybe five minutes and make it to Gyeongbokgung Palace. You can explore the palace grounds at your wish.

When you finish at Gyeongbokgung, you want to go back to where you entered. You can walk down Gwanghwamun Plaza towards City Hall. At City Hall, there's a plaza and some more restaurants around if you have time. Take the Line 1 Subway ONE stop to Seoul Station. At Seoul Station, you can hop back on the AREX train and head back.

Easy peasy. All signs are in English and these areas are HEAVILY "patrolled" by tourist helpers if you get lost.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Wow thank you.
You know Seoul better than I do and I'm Korean lol.

I didn't even know that there was a train that takes you from ICN to Seoul.
I always took the KAL limo and airport limo and such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.