Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bullet Train ICN-Seoul Station update?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Aventine
I just took it yesterday from Incheon down to Daegu. Well signed and you can't miss it once you come from arrivals and go down to B1. Only a few run a day and the luggage spaces can be at a premium since everyone is traveling down from the airport. Full train for most of my trip.
Korail is mainly using the narrow body TGV carriages so worth booking 1st class seats anyway. The price is still modest...
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
The maglev run distances at Incheon are very short, therefore I think 41 kph sounds about right.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by nme7
The maglev run distances at Incheon are very short, therefore I think 41 kph sounds about right.
I think there's a big misconception about the Maglev. It is only going to run to selected destinations within Incheon, not to Seoul like AREX or KTX. Max speed is only 1XXkph, so with stops, and the short distance, an average of 41 does seem about right.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Once it is up and running, the maglev might be a nice way to spend some time during a layover. I am thinking it is more of a technology demonstrator for Korea. Will it be profitable? I doubt it.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Will it be profitable? I doubt it.
Even the famous Maglev from PVG to Shanghai Metro is, AFAIK, also not profitable (most passengers are there for a one-time photo op), but it is a good public relations device. However, the Chinese government(s) have copied the German design for other proposed lines around China. I suspect the Incheon will be similar, with the excpetion that the excellent KTX system will be around for a long time with Maglevs on shorter intra-city routes.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nme7
Once it is up and running, the maglev might be a nice way to spend some time during a layover. I am thinking it is more of a technology demonstrator for Korea. Will it be profitable? I doubt it.
Even KTX isn't profitable so I doubt maglev will be any different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.