20% Surcharge on a Regular Taxi from Gangnam to ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S

I just took a taxi from Ritz Carlton in Gangnam to ICN. The taxi driver pressed a button shortly after taking off, and a 20% icon showed on the meter. I thought that was a trick, but then I realized this must be long range surcharge.

Shortly after entering Incheon, at the intersection between 110 and 130, the driver pressed the button again at a aimed location (like he was counting seconds), but that location was still way outside ICN. After that, there were another several kilometers without the 20%.

The total was 60000 won including the toll. This total number seems right

Anyone knows how that surcharge works theoretically?

When does it apply? On which portion of the trip does it apply?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:37 am

This is the much hated Out of Seoul surcharge.

Out-of-Seoul Surcharge
On 12 October 2013, Seoul Metropolitan Government re-introduced the 20% surcharge from Seoul to adjacent cities that was eliminated in 2009.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by SirJman
This is the much hated Out of Seoul surcharge.

Out-of-Seoul Surcharge
On 12 October 2013, Seoul Metropolitan Government re-introduced the 20% surcharge from Seoul to adjacent cities that was eliminated in 2009.
I think having this surcharge is fine. Dragging a taxi to a place one hour away deserves a surcharge.

However, most of the surcharges around the world is distance based and automatic. Having to manually click a button leaves the door of abuse open to rogue drivers.

Is the surcharge applied to the whole route, starting from the origin all the way to the destination? Why the driver I encountered turn the surcharge off for the last several kilometers?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
He probably felt bad so he turned it off at the end? I must have got taken the last time I took a taxi to/from the airport. I remember the fare being around 90,000KRW.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nme7
He probably felt bad so he turned it off at the end? I must have got taken the last time I took a taxi to/from the airport. I remember the fare being around 90,000KRW.
Generally speaking I think Seoul taxi is the best I've experienced in the whole world. Clean, fast, comfortable, super credit card friendly.

Two times I've taken taxis to ICN are from Jung-gu and Gangnam-gu. The total fare were just around 70000.

Did you take a Deluxe taxi or something? Black ones with yellow top signs?

We specifically asked for regular taxi at the front door of the hotels. We may looked cheap, but we just didn't find the reason to go for the "Deluxe" where "Regular" is deluxe enough.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Some Seoul taxis are those things you said. Others are just smelly LPG cans on wheels.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
Some Seoul taxis are those things you said. Others are just smelly LPG cans on wheels.
How do you compare Seoul taxi to HK taxi?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
How do you compare Seoul taxi to HK taxi?
Newer models of cars. Toss up about hygiene and English. Japan has them both cornered but only let down by even less knowledge of English.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Newer models of cars. Toss up about hygiene and English. Japan has them both cornered but only let down by even less knowledge of English.
For Japan I tend to write my destination in Japanese and hand the note to the driver.
(the only problem in this case is disputes if the driver tries to cheat me by taking a longer route. Fortunately this has not happened to me in Japan.)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I think having this surcharge is fine. Dragging a taxi to a place one hour away deserves a surcharge.

However, most of the surcharges around the world is distance based and automatic. Having to manually click a button leaves the door of abuse open to rogue drivers.

Is the surcharge applied to the whole route, starting from the origin all the way to the destination? Why the driver I encountered turn the surcharge off for the last several kilometers?
Many surcharges are also based on time of day...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
The Korea surcharge is both for after midnight and out of Seoul, both 20%. BTW, in Seoul, the "Foreigner" taxis (orange) have the language(s) spoken by the driver on the door. If not, translation is available by saying "translation" and the driver will call a speaker of that language that you can talk to on their mobile phone. I don't know why he would turn it off nearing the airport. Fare was about right amount.

As to Seoul vs. HK; I have had fewer problems in Korea than Hong Kong with taxis (I speak some Korean and Chinese, but I don't look like it) so drivers sometimes feel that can get away with indirect routing.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
You get what you pay for... Japanese taxis are much more expensive than Seoul taxis. From central Tokyo to NRT will set you back a few hundred $, even HND to central Tokyo will cost US$70-100
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:26 pm

I have an upcoming stay in Seoul for three nights at the Park Hyatt. I have a few somewhat related questions:

Our flight gets in late (around 10:30) - do the taxis run late around there? Is there any specific one I should look for for the long journey?

The flight out is in the AM on a Saturday. About how many hours ahead of time should I leave to account for the drive, getting through customs, etc?

Thanks much!
Old May 1, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mojo2121
I have an upcoming stay in Seoul for three nights at the Park Hyatt. I have a few somewhat related questions:

Our flight gets in late (around 10:30) - do the taxis run late around there? Is there any specific one I should look for for the long journey?

The flight out is in the AM on a Saturday. About how many hours ahead of time should I leave to account for the drive, getting through customs, etc?

Thanks much!
Assume you were talking about ICN, first, I think 10:30 is not that late in Seoul. For getting into the city, just take the regular one (non-black), which offer you a reasonable price.

Secondly, I never took flights in the AM at ICN. Are you talking about 2AM or 10AM? With my afternoon experience, driving to ICN from city center takes 1.5 hours max, passing immigration and customs takes 30 minutes. If you take non-Korean airlines, I think you always need to take the train and head to the outer terminal, which adds about another 20 minutes. Leave 30 minutes for boarding, as in Korea people get their duty free after security, so it could be crowded on board and their might be some fighting for the luggage spaces.

Your AM experience might be different.

Also, getting your tax return forms stamped (just stamped, you need another half an hour to submit the forms after security and immigration) might take a while before security. Mine last time took AN HOUR!

Hope this helps.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:59 am

Assume you were talking about ICN, first, I think 10:30 is not that late in Seoul. For getting into the city, just take the regular one (non-black), which offer you a reasonable price.

Secondly, I never took flights in the AM at ICN. Are you talking about 2AM or 10AM? With my afternoon experience, driving to ICN from city center takes 1.5 hours max, passing immigration and customs takes 30 minutes. If you take non-Korean airlines, I think you always need to take the train and head to the outer terminal, which adds about another 20 minutes. Leave 30 minutes for boarding, as in Korea people get their duty free after security, so it could be crowded on board and their might be some fighting for the luggage spaces.

Your AM experience might be different.

Also, getting your tax return forms stamped (just stamped, you need another half an hour to submit the forms after security and immigration) might take a while before security. Mine last time took AN HOUR!

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. So is this tax return stamping plus submittal not included in the customs time?

The flight is at 10:00AM on Sat so reading this, would heading out at 7:00AM from the Park Hyatt give me enough time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.