Wiki Posts
Search

Rec's for DMZ Tour from Seoul?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Rec's for DMZ Tour from Seoul?

I'll be in Seoul for 4 days and looking for a tour to the DMZ on a Sunday or Monday (could do a Saturday if Sun/Mon are closed days). Can anyone recommend a good tour to book? it's just one person, if that makes a difference.

I did search and a recent thread referenced a "VIP" tour but I couldn't find any more info on it. Hope this isn't a dupe post.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Try doing a search using "DMZ tour".
Quite a few threads come up, including this one
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Try doing a search using "DMZ tour".
Quite a few threads come up, including this one
Thanks, but as I noted in my post, I did search and found that specific thread. It mentions ""VIP" DMZ tour " but does not provide any company name to book through.

I could only find viator specifically called out in that and other threads. But they don't work for my dates. I was hoping someone here could provide more options with recent information instead of the other older thread with company URLs that were valid (two I tried gave error pages).
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I have never tried them before, but I have heard good things about the tour offered through the USO. I don't have any contact info for them but found this.

In the past, I have used Panmunjom Travel Center. Link to their website. I have used them twice before and it was easy to arrange everything via email. I went with the Panmunjom / DMZ combined tour and it was an all day trip.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the trip!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nme7
I have never tried them before, but I have heard good things about the tour offered through the USO. I don't have any contact info for them but found this.

In the past, I have used Panmunjom Travel Center. Link to their website. I have used them twice before and it was easy to arrange everything via email. I went with the Panmunjom / DMZ combined tour and it was an all day trip.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the trip!
Thanks! I'll contact them both. Really appreciate the info!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:11 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
I went on the USO tour (thanks to flyertalk) and would recommend it to others. Here is the link for the USO tour: http://www.koridoor.co.kr/bbs/board....fo&sca=JSA/DMZ

Make sure whatever tour you sign up for includes the JSA (Joint Security Area). This is the area with the familiar blue buildings where the South and North forces face each other.

From what I remember, I reserved the tour on the website and had to call them to provide my credit card payment. Our tour had to be rescheduled four hours later due to whatever undisclosed reasons the military had, but they were very good with communication. So keep that in mind when booking your tour.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I went on the USO Tour and researched it on FT and other boards prior to going, and the consensus seemed to be that they're the one to use. I felt it was a bit expensive for what it is (someone at Kooridor is making a nice profit on it with 50 people on a bus @ $90/person), but they're all kinda priced highly and they did a decent job and I have no complaints.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:44 pm

I'm not sure what the $90 covers in the USO tour, but I paid $120 using Panmunjom Travel Center. This was for the Panmunjom / DMZ combined tour. It is possible that you might get more for your money going on the USO tour. I will have to take the USO tour someday to see what is different.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:32 pm

I'm not sure what the $90 covers in the USO tour, but I paid $120 using Panmunjom Travel Center. This was for the Panmunjom / DMZ combined tour. It is possible that you might get more for your money going on the USO tour. I will have to take the USO tour someday to see what is different.
The USO Tour had 4 stops: the Panmunjom (obviously the highlight and what everyone came to see, and the rest kind of seems like filler so they can sell a full-day tour), one of the infiltration tunnels (it would have been cool to appreciate this in peace, but it's jam-packed with a never-ending stream of people and feels more like a Disneyland ride), the Dora observatory lookout into the DPRK (worth a 2 minute look), and the Dora train station (totally uninteresting).

Curious if there was anything interesting on your tour that I missed.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Looks like USO and another place do not offer tours on the dates I'll be there due to holidays and their specific schedules. Grace Travel does offer a tour that does not include Panmunjom. It notes it includes:
Hotel Pick-up
Imjingak Park
The Bridge of Freedom
DMZ Theater & Exhibition Hall
The 3rd Infiltration Tunnel
Dora Observatory
Dora Station
Pass by Unification Village
Drop Off at Itaewon or City Hall

For $42 USD. Is that worth it? Or without Panmunjom is any tour pretty lacking in substance?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:03 pm

I think one of the highlights of my visits to the DMZ was the Panmunjom. Being able to take photos inside the blue room and then being able to walk across the line and stand in NK was pretty neat.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
For $42 USD. Is that worth it? Or without Panmunjom is any tour pretty lacking in substance?
I think one of the highlights of my visits to the DMZ was the Panmunjom. Being able to take photos inside the blue room and then being able to walk across the line and stand in NK was pretty neat.
I'd go even further than nme calling the Panmunjom one of the highlights -- I think it's *the* reason to go on a DMZ tour. If I were in mike's shoes, it'd be more about the opportunity cost of giving up the chance to do/see something else more interesting than it would be about wasting the $42.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like I'll be finding something else to do that day.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Take a side trip to Chuncheon/Namiseom area. Chuncheon is the home of dak galbi. Namiseom is a cool, beautiful little island nearby. You can take the ITX train from Yongsan Station and it takes 1 hour and 45 minutes. Easily done in a full day.

Or, if you want to use up more time, take the KTX to Gyeongju (Singyeongju station). It's around 2.5 hours. Gyeongju is the historical capital of Korea - lots of interesting history, a cool temple on top of a mountain, small quiet town. You can rent a bike for like 6 USD and enjoy a day.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:02 pm

Sorry to hear the DMZ tour won't work this time. I had to be very flexible with my dates and they cancelled one date due to some training exercise so I had to hastily rearrange my travel plans for a new date.

Besides DMZ, there are lots of other fun/interesting/cultural things to do in Seoul. I could spend a whole day just walking around the areas near city hall, with the different palaces and interesting places such as Insadong etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.