Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to get to town from ICN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

I'm arriving on business class from Hong Kong on Cathay pacific at 5:20am into ICN. I'm wondering if I can make it to Camp Kim/USO, which is very close to the Nam Young station, to make the 7:30am DMZ tour departure? Anyone have any experience doing so or know how long it takes to clear customs, get bags, and head into the city? Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Several ways to get there.

1) Take the AREX Airport Express Train (now 8000 won!) and head straight to Seoul Station. Takes 43 min, then transfer to line 1 and take the subway one stop south. You just arrived at Namyeoung. I would estimate at least one hour travel time because you will need to transfer at Seoul Station.

2) Taxi. But prepare to pay a lot of money!

3) Take Limo bus. http://www.airport.kr/airport/traffi...ist.iia?flag=E Take the Bus route 6001, it drops you off at Samgakji subway station. Pop out of exit #10 and the USO office should be right there. You might have to walk maybe 2 minutes from the exit. Estimated time probably under and hour at that time of the morning.

If I had to choose, I think I would go with the Limo bus first, then the AREX Train, then Taxi.

Usually there are not many planes landing at Incheon at 5am. So immigration should be a breeze. But don't delay once you get off the plane and walk quickly over to the Immigration desk first. Have all your documents ready before arriving. Since you are flying Business, I assume your bags will have Priority? If so, the bags will come out quickly.. unless you have some items inside that Customs does not agree with.

Then after baggage, head straight out to the street and go to the Bus Ticket booth. It is possible to be outside the airport within 20 minutes of walking out the plane.

Btw, did you already reserve a spot for the DMZ tour? Perhaps you can contact them and tell them you might be a few minutes late?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by nme7
Several ways to get there.

1) Take the AREX Airport Express Train (now 8000 won!) and head straight to Seoul Station. Takes 43 min, then transfer to line 1 and take the subway one stop south. You just arrived at Namyeoung. I would estimate at least one hour travel time because you will need to transfer at Seoul Station.
I'd just like to add that the AREX and subway tracks are at the opposite ends of the station area. So do leave enough time for the transfer, it's not seamless and takes a while.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nme7
Btw, did you already reserve a spot for the DMZ tour? Perhaps you can contact them and tell them you might be a few minutes late?
koridoor notes on their DMZ tour itinerary that they depart promptly at 07:30 so would think the chanes of them waiting around would be low to zero.

AREX quotes a 53 min. time from ICN to Seoul Station so with a transfer to Namyeoung add aprox. another 5-10 minutes and you are over an hour.

While it could probably be be done if everything went well and customs wasn't too backed up there's no margin for error so would recommend doing the tour another day.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
AREX has two lines. The AREX Express Train and the AREX Commuter Train.

AREX Express:
43 Minutes Non-Stop to Seoul Station
Cost: 8,000 Won

AREX Commuter:
53 Minutes, multiple stops to Seoul Station
Cost: 3,800 Won

As you approach the AREX station on B1 level of the airport, the AREX Express is on the right side and the Commuter is on the left side.

Now when you arrive at Seoul Station, then Mosburger is right. There is a considerable distance between the AREX and Subway station.

All the more reason to take the Limo bus.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:11 am

I am against the grain here I guess. If you are set on doing the DMZ tour, I think 2 hours, is plenty of time. Just this past monday, I arrived on a flight that landed at 6:05am, de-planed at 6:15 and I was on the 6:35 (53 minute) AREX and arrived at Seoul Station by 7:30. Since you will have nearly an hour head start on me, I really think it can be done as long as your plane isnt delayed. Once you get to Seoul Station, take a taxi, if you arrive at seoul station before 7, you will have no problems as there isnt a whole lot of traffic yet and its about 4km's away, which is less than 10 minutes taxi ride. Be advised, you have to know how to say the exact location to the taxi driver, as they do not speak english. Also note there are 2 DMZ tours. One that goes to Camp Bonifas and the UN Joint Security Area, and the other takes you to the Tunnels and a mountain observatory.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by babypuwet
I am against the grain here I guess. If you are set on doing the DMZ tour, I think 2 hours, is plenty of time. Just this past monday, I arrived on a flight that landed at 6:05am, de-planed at 6:15 and I was on the 6:35 (53 minute) AREX and arrived at Seoul Station by 7:30. Since you will have nearly an hour head start on me, I really think it can be done as long as your plane isnt delayed. Once you get to Seoul Station, take a taxi, if you arrive at seoul station before 7, you will have no problems as there isnt a whole lot of traffic yet and its about 4km's away, which is less than 10 minutes taxi ride. Be advised, you have to know how to say the exact location to the taxi driver, as they do not speak english. Also note there are 2 DMZ tours. One that goes to Camp Bonifas and the UN Joint Security Area, and the other takes you to the Tunnels and a mountain observatory.
One more note, If you take AREX and arrive at seoul station, it is like basement 3 or 4. When you get to ground level, that will be the backside of Seoul Station. Go up another set of escalators and go to the Front of the stations. There will be taxi's there. Just say Camp Kim, and most taxi drivers should know it, if they dont just tell them go, Camp Kim is on the same street about 3KM's down on the right.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:13 am

CX usually parks at the satellite terminal, so you need to wait for a shuttle train to take you into immigration. At that part of the morning, it may be a long wait for the limo buses. You'll be cutting it a bit too close.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I decided to arrive a day earlier so there's no rush.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Go up another set of escalators and go to the Front of the stations. There will be taxi's there. Just say Camp Kim, and most taxi drivers should know it, if they dont just tell them go, Camp Kim is on the same street about 3KM's down on the right.
Though these are some of the 'worst' taxis in Seoul. The only time in 3 years I experienced taxis that refused to use the meter in the middle of the day.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
That's odd. I've never been in a taxi in Seoul where they refused to turn on the meter. They are generally very good with it, unlike in Thailand or the Philippines. The only time they might not put on the meter is 3am in Itaewon or HongDae when they want a high fare before heading home.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by hamburglar
Thanks so much for everyone's input. I decided to arrive a day earlier so there's no rush.
A good choice and let us know what you thought of the DMZ tour as I skipped it last time through Seoul.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by SOLTATIO
That's odd. I've never been in a taxi in Seoul where they refused to turn on the meter. They are generally very good with it, unlike in Thailand or the Philippines. The only time they might not put on the meter is 3am in Itaewon or HongDae when they want a high fare before heading home.
I'm with SirJman: The Seoul station taxi stands are probably the only place in the capital were taxis also regularly refuse to take customers to destinations they consider not profitable enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.