Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

First trip to Seoul - therefore noob questions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First trip to Seoul - therefore noob questions!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
Would love to hi-jack this thread. I'm going to Seoul last week in October. Conference at COEX for 5 days. The conference hotels are the two IC's. Would it be good to stay there or should I stay somewhere more exciting? I've never been to Seoul before and would like to explore as much as possible. I am HH Diamond but not too fussed which chain. Looking for at least 4 stars and I don't mind using subways etc to get to the conference if needed.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
The (Milllenium) Hilton is top quality and centrally located north of the river near Namdaemun but sits on the slopes of Namsan and isn't convenient to the subway. If you're ok with taking taxis to+from the hotel it's not a bad choice. The Conrad is in Yeouido which is far from both COEX and tourist sites.

Better choices are the Westin Chosun, the Plaza Hotel Seoul or the Lotte (Jung-gu, not Lotte World / Jamsil) which are next to City Hall and sit atop the green (circle) line that goes directly to Samseong-dong (COEX Mall stop).
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nycflyer
Would love to hi-jack this thread. I'm going to Seoul last week in October. Conference at COEX for 5 days. The conference hotels are the two IC's. Would it be good to stay there or should I stay somewhere more exciting? I've never been to Seoul before and would like to explore as much as possible. I am HH Diamond but not too fussed which chain. Looking for at least 4 stars and I don't mind using subways etc to get to the conference if needed.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
The (Milllenium) Hilton is top quality and centrally located north of the river near Namdaemun but sits on the slopes of Namsan and isn't convenient to the subway. If you're ok with taking taxis to+from the hotel it's not a bad choice. The Conrad is in Yeouido which is far from both COEX and tourist sites.

Better choices are the Westin Chosun, the Plaza Hotel Seoul or the Lotte (Jung-gu, not Lotte World / Jamsil) which are next to City Hall and sit atop the green (circle) line that goes directly to Samseong-dong (COEX Mall stop).
Thankyou
I will check out your recommendations
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
TBH Op I think you will have a great time in Seoul/Korea if you have an open mind.

Missed that part of your post before, but Singapore to me as good as a place it is to stopover is pretty bland and lacks much culture these days.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:37 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vidic15
TBH Op I think you will have a great time in Seoul/Korea if you have an open mind.

Missed that part of your post before, but Singapore to me as good as a place it is to stopover is pretty bland and lacks much culture these days.
Thanks ..... if I wasn't open minded I wouldn't have considered it and asked questions here in the first place now would I?

One persons blandness is another persons excitement. One persons excitement is another persons reach for the cleaning fluid and shrug. Personally I love Singapore and consider it underated for a large number of people who merely pass through and don't penetrate further:

Singapore for first time / for a few days, NOT just a stopover

We have several visits a year for nothing more than walking and eating ....... A lot of people love HKG. I'm ambivalent. A lot of people love BKK - I don't. We're all different and looking for different things.

Seoul is back on the possible list .... we've two Amex BA 241s each year with pots of BA miles (and " 'er indoors" doesn't do anything less than F on longhaul) .... and with the new BA route this is again after some of the recent really helpful posts put it back as a distinct possible.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
uk1, as an old saying goes, no pain no gain.

I am a Korean and my wife is a Singaporean, she find Seoul and Korea in general more exciting in both foods and shopping than her own country.

Food wise, there are no shortages of eateries that opens till very late.

Anyway, enjoy your stay in Singapore.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:33 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vinx
uk1, as an old saying goes, no pain no gain.
Yes ... it's the pain without a gain that is the possible issue ........

I once made the same decision based on exactly the same feedback urging me to try BKK. It was awful. Most of our taxi journies were problematic. On one we had to jump taxi at a set of traffic lights as it headed speedily out of town ....... I lost three stone in less than a week and was hospitalised as a result of a visiting celebrity chef to the five star hotel we were staying at ..... and there was no alcohol in the bar and MY FREE MINI BAR as a result of some local festival banning alcohol for several days. The street food was pretty filthy ....and all that standing still whilst the music blared out of those speakers first thing in the morning .....

Most people who know Singapore and Bangkok seem to prefer Bangkok .... so it is knowing what you like with a touch of caveat emptor .....
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by uk1
Yes ... it's the pain without a gain that is the possible issue ........

I once made the same decision based on exactly the same feedback urging me to try BKK. It was awful. Most of our taxi journies were problematic. On one we had to jump taxi at a set of traffic lights as it headed speedily out of town ....... I lost three stone in less than a week and was hospitalised as a result of a visiting celebrity chef to the five star hotel we were staying at ..... and there was no alcohol in the bar and MY FREE MINI BAR as a result of some local festival banning alcohol for several days. The street food was pretty filthy ....and all that standing still whilst the music blared out of those speakers first thing in the morning .....

Most people who know Singapore and Bangkok seem to prefer Bangkok .... so it is knowing what you like with a touch of caveat emptor .....
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Bangkok.

However - with respect - Seoul is not Bangkok, secondly some things you mention (visiting celebrity chef?) sound more like unfortunate circumstances of your trip rather than problems with Bangkok itself.

Seoul is not as spic-and-span as Singapore (or Tokyo) and certainly has dodgy areas but is generally cleaner and more orderly than Bangkok. Seoul taxis are better regulated. If you are ultra cautious you can call for the more expensive "international taxis"; however, I've never had a problem with regular taxis. Complaints can be submitted to the tourist complaint center, they tend to go after things that make Korea look bad to foreigners

Taxis in Seoul

How to file a complaint

Finally, you never have to worry about restricted access to alcohol in Seoul

If you can handle Harbin, you should have no problems taking on Seoul.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold

However - with respect - Seoul is not Bangkok, secondly some things you mention (visiting celebrity chef?) sound more like unfortunate circumstances of your trip rather than problems with Bangkok itself.

Seoul is not as spic-and-span as Singapore (or Tokyo) and certainly has dodgy areas but is generally cleaner and more orderly than Bangkok.
I think Seoul's great. Never dound a dodgy area. People are friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. I've never had a problem with English, and I visit 4-5 times annually on business.

Seoul is much more real than S'pore, somehow. However each to their own.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold

I've stayed in Namsan Hilton and Grand Inter, among other hotels in Seoul.
I don't rate the Hilton although I'm a Diamond.
The Grand -now "Parnas" is top flight to my mind; I certainly wouldn't stay anywhere else if I was going to COEX; 80 mins in a txi in rush hour doesn't do it for me.
There's a Park Hyatt over the way and although it has style it doesn't touch the Grand for solid quality.
Stay in the Grand- take non-stop limo bus to City Air Terminal and walk 3o yds to your hotel.
Oh, and fly Asiana!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:50 am

This thread has been immensely helpful! I'll be visiting Seoul in late August or mid September, so I appreciate all this feedback.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ethelman

I've stayed in Namsan Hilton and Grand Inter, among other hotels in Seoul.
I don't rate the Hilton although I'm a Diamond.
The Grand -now "Parnas" is top flight to my mind; I certainly wouldn't stay anywhere else if I was going to COEX; 80 mins in a txi in rush hour doesn't do it for me.
There's a Park Hyatt over the way and although it has style it doesn't touch the Grand for solid quality.
Stay in the Grand- take non-stop limo bus to City Air Terminal and walk 3o yds to your hotel.
Oh, and fly Asiana!
^ Thankyou I'm deciding between the two IC's I think.
Not sure about Asiana though, nothing to do with the airline quality and more to do with crediting flights via OW to Qantas. I will probably do something crazy like QF SYD-BKK rtn and then CX BKK-HKG-ICN rtn.
I have another question if I may:
Has anyone any experience of staying in a Temple and which would be the best one to visit for a solo female traveller?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:02 am

Seoul is not as spic-and-span as Singapore (or Tokyo) and certainly has dodgy areas but is generally cleaner and more orderly than Bangkok. Seoul taxis are better regulated. If you are ultra cautious you can call for the more expensive "international taxis"; however, I've never had a problem with regular taxis. Complaints can be submitted to the tourist complaint center, they tend to go after things that make Korea look bad to foreigners

Taxis in Seoul

How to file a complaint

Finally, you never have to worry about restricted access to alcohol in Seoul

If you can handle Harbin, you should have no problems taking on Seoul.
I live in Singapore, would you like me to take you to dodgy and dirty areas there?
Seoul taxis are newer and cleaner than ones in Singapore and they have airbags unlike Singapore. When I first arrived in Singapore, the driver cheated on me by taking much longer routes.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:56 am

Not sure about Asiana though, nothing to do with the airline quality and more to do with crediting flights via OW to Qantas. I will probably do something crazy like QF SYD-BKK rtn and then CX BKK-HKG-ICN rtn.
Has anyone any experience of staying in a Temple and which would be the best one to visit for a solo female traveller?
Maybe do SYD-ICN, then ICN-HKG-BKK rtn. QF do a code share with OZ SYD-ICN and you get a full benefits of QF and experience the OZ service to see how they stack up against QF. Enjoy the flights regardless of which routes you take.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Asiana are an excellent airline...definitely one reason they were Skytrax Airline of the Year in 2010.

Make sure you book the QF flight numbers though.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Consider booking with the free Goodwill Guide Service - I've had excellent luck with them, and I now have a wonderful Korean friend through this service.

Have you heard about Kimchi Chronicles - a TV show about Korean food. You can send for the DVD as I did.

I'll be in Seoul on my way to SE Asia in November. My old Goodwill Guide will be there, and I hope to sample more of the food seen on Kimchi Chronicles.

Fly Asiana - the comfortable ride!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.