Reload this Page >

North Korea Travel, Experiences and Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

North Korea Travel, Experiences and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:47 pm

The only way to vacation in North Korea is to take a tour, which can be as small as one person. Remember that each tour is accompanied by a guide, a driver and a minder. Obviously, you spend less if the cost is shared by other members in a group. I fully endorse the previous posts: Koryo Tours, a British-run company based in Beijing, provides excellent service. I have used Koryo Tours twice for visits to the DPRK.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:57 pm

If you travel with Koryo Tours, the company arranges a group visa. Nothing is stamped in each traveller's passport and the separate visa is retained by the North Korea authorities when you leave the country.

It must also be said that the DPRK is probably the safest of the 100+ countries I have visited. The tour group is accompanied at all times by a guide, a driver and a minder. Tourists are not allowed to leave their hotel unless accompanied. Conversations with ordinary North Koreans are discouraged. Nevertheless, a visit to North Korea is a memorable experience. I have been twice and hope to go again, as more places become accessible to tourists.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:46 pm

I just got back from a trip to North Korea with Koryo Tours. I know I certainly had a lot of questions prior to my trip, so I'm glad to answer any questions for other travelers who may be going.

I went there with Koryo Tours two weeks ago. It was all very easy. Cost me about $2K total but it's pretty much all-inclusive (not a lot of big-time shopping in the DPRK!)

I found it fascinating, maddening, mind-boggling, and frustrating, but I'm very glad I did it.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reason: merge posts after thread merge
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I have started a blog about my recent experience in North Korea: www.humanitybesideus.net. I will be going back soon, and probably next year too... It is truly a fascinating place.

At the current pace my blog will be complete in 10 years, but there is already a fair amount of practical information which may be of interest to some.

Last edited by Pat Plus; Aug 16, 2012 at 12:53 am
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: Skyteam
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Three threads regarding the same topic and established within the same time frame have been merged for member convenience.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I did the tour with Young Pioneer Tours last October and would highly recommend them. I got quotes from several tour operators and they were by far the cheapest. They're groups are also smaller than Koryo tours. We had 8 people in our group and we saw much larger tour groups.

It's a very unique experience and is not cheap, but it was certainly worthwhile.

I believe that KITC now operates their own tours, however you do not get a western guide, which I would highly recommend. All tours are through KITC, however you typically get a western guide as well which is helpful as they can give you some additional info and also act as a liaison between you and the Korean guides to get the group into additional sites that others may not ordinarily see.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shore9
I did the tour with Young Pioneer Tours last October and would highly recommend them.
Was Gareth (the owner) your guide? My cousin (he did Ulan Bator to Russia++ with Gareth; they even got to visit Chernobyl!) has great things to say about him, and they have the train option to NK, which gives people a chance to see more of the countryside.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:05 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hslowe
I just got back from a trip to North Korea with Koryo Tours. I know I certainly had a lot of questions prior to my trip, so I'm glad to answer any questions for other travelers who may be going.

I went there with Koryo Tours two weeks ago. It was all very easy. Cost me about $2K total but it's pretty much all-inclusive (not a lot of big-time shopping in the DPRK!)

I found it fascinating, maddening, mind-boggling, and frustrating, but I'm very glad I did it.
I went with Koryo Tours two.5 years ago, and although we certainly couldn't walk onto the street (...or could we? There was NO ONE around), we did get to check out the driving range and other (bizarre) floors at the Sosan Hotel: https://buildingmybento.wordpress.co...4/dprk-part-4/ .

Do you know if the Ryugyong Hotel is accepting guests anytime soon? Even if they were, the first ones wouldn't be from the US...or Japan, for that matter)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by obiwan9
Flew out of PEK. They're are also flights out of a Chinese city closer to the boarder that can be a little cheaper, can't recall the name. Air China, or Southern also fly the days that the national carrier does not. 1.5k is PEK-DPRK I was already in China. Spending money and tips was like $100-300 maybe. Depends on how much you tip and what kind of "gifts" you bring them. Also what kind of stuff you bring back. Avg book/poster was ~$20

Clarifying: Only Americans are required to fly in. Everyone else has the option of train or flight. Other note, no GPS cameras, so keep in mind when packing if you've got the label on the body.
In March 2010, at least for USA citizens (the three on the trip), we were required to fly (as opposed to take the train) from FNJ to SHE (Shenyang). I was fine with that--tried a different Soviet-era aircraft, and did I mention the plane had windows?...To see all that the northern part of the DPRK (didn't) had to offer, save for their economic zone on the Chinese border. For the last day in Pyongyang, we first dropped off the rest of the travelers at the train station, and then carried on to the airport and all of its empty glory.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
Do you know if the Ryugyong Hotel is accepting guests anytime soon? Even if they were, the first ones wouldn't be from the US...or Japan, for that matter)
It won't. The exterior was completed to improve the building's appearance and save the face. However, the building is structurally unsound and I understand that elevator cores are distorted. There's been talks of opening a handful of floors for limited purposes, but to the best of my knowledge the project will never be completed and will always remain an empty shell.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
In March 2010, at least for USA citizens (the three on the trip), we were required to fly (as opposed to take the train) from FNJ to SHE (Shenyang).
That is still the case indeed for US citizens...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pat+
That is still the case indeed for US citizens...
Ah, it was more of a reply for obiwan9, because that poster couldn't remember which northeastern Chinese airport the JS flight from FNJ went to. Thanks for the update anyhow.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pat+
It won't. The exterior was completed to improve the building's appearance and save the face. However, the building is structurally unsound and I understand that elevator cores are distorted. There's been talks of opening a handful of floors for limited purposes, but to the best of my knowledge the project will never be completed and will always remain an empty shell.
Save face how many years later? Well, thanks for your observations...wasn't an Egyptian telecoms company involved in the exterior completion? Are they pursuing other fluff projects in the DPRK too?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: various
I believe I have heard that this year, Americans can arrange to exit North Korea via train, but only on specific tours or departures. Check with Koryo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.