Wiki Posts
Search

KLM upgrade policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM GE
KLM upgrade policy

I have Gold Elite status and flew with a work colleague(only Blueplus level) from Ams to Tokyo on 1/3/03. I was able to pre-reserve a seat in select seat area(14A; no decent seats avail.) My colleague requested a seat nearby and on check-in was given 29D(extra legroom seat at 2nd door). So for starters he got a better seat in Economy despite lower FD level. Then at the gate; he was given a different boarding card/seat; 79B!!!i.e. World Business Class!!! As the colleague was a friend(and my boss), I didn't say too much. But..does this seem right? Any views??

Matt
Old Mar 20, 2003, 1:42 pm

Programs: FB plat
matt,

your elite status allows you to book select seating. however, that's just the first several rows of economy. the exit rows are often further back (eg. 35 in 744) so anyone can book it, though you may have priority - you probably could have booked 29D as well.

as for the upgrade - KLM's operational upgrade policy seems to depend on the gate agent's whim. last year i sat next to a PE on a flight from sao paolo. he had a paid C-class ticket, for a later flight, and was put into economy seating since they claimed WBC was full on that flight. he sat quietly seething as 6 people were upgraded from way back in coach because they didn't like the people they were sitting next to, had the wrong seat, etc. he then complained to the purser that he controls a 4 million pound travel budget that he directs to klm, and personally flies 160+ days a year, mostly with KLM, and doesn't appreciate such shoddy treatment.

unsurprisingly, even this was not enough to get much sympathy from the reliably curt KLM staff...

otoh, ymmv (literaly :-) as i posted earlier today, i got upgraded in-flight yesterday DTW-AMS, being PE.

-rishab
Old Mar 20, 2003, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rishab:
I got upgraded in-flight yesterday DTW-AMS, being PE.

-rishab
</font>
Wow - I am shocked - an inflight upgrade - It ain't never happened to me...

Where there extenuating circumstances ?
Old Mar 21, 2003, 6:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cris L:

</font>
I had the same once Cris, KLM managed to double assign my seat and after a few hard looks from the Woman sitting next to me ( she thought I had pinched her window seat )and another passenger claiming that the Woman was in her seat I got upgraded.

Nigel
Old Mar 21, 2003, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beergut:
I had the same once.

Nigel
</font>
Lucky buggers
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beergut:
I had the same once Cris, KLM managed to double assign my seat and [...] I got upgraded.

Nigel
</font>
Has happened to me too.

johan
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rishab:

KLM's operational upgrade policy seems to depend on the gate agent's whim. last year i sat next to a PE on a flight from sao paolo. he had a paid C-class ticket, for a later flight, and was put into economy seating since they claimed WBC was full on that flight. he sat quietly seething as 6 people were upgraded
</font>
I can confirm from experience that your experience was not an isolated incident.

johan

Old Mar 24, 2003, 5:31 am

Programs: FB plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cris L:

</font>
it was upgrade without service, and yes there were... see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum28/HTML/001354.html

(2-class lower deck on a route that usually flies an all-economy lower deck - so there were no C pax in the lower deck).

-rishab

Old Mar 25, 2003, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
I have been upgraded both in flight and at check in several times. When in flight it has not been for any reason, the Purser has come along and simply said 'We have a better seat for you Mr @@@@@' Mind you I do fly in excess of 200 flights with them so maybe that's why I'm so fortunate with upgrades; also it means I rarely have to buy a Biz class ticket as I invariably get the upgrade.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 10:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StevieJ:
also it means I rarely have to buy a Biz class ticket as I invariably get the upgrade.</font>
You must be flying on quiet routes.
I mostly fly AMS JFK on KLM and the my percentage of op-ups is less than 10% (I don't keep scores, but that's my guess) since the flights I take are usually full (at least in C).
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ql2112:
You must be flying on quiet routes.
I mostly fly AMS JFK on KLM and the my percentage of op-ups is less than 10% (I don't keep scores, but that's my guess) since the flights I take are usually full (at least in C).
</font>
Between AMS and JNB my percentage is about 50, although I once scored 100% in a 12 month period. I have no recent experience though, as for the past 1½ year all my flights have been in C.

johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.