Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS Security Queues on a Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
AMS Security Queues on a Sunday?

I'm flying DXB - AMS - SOU on Sunday 14 May, arriving AMS at 0600 and departing at 1625, so a 10h25m layover. I'm going to get the train into central Amsterdam and have some brunch and walk around a bit before heading back to the airport.

I have read some horror stories on here about the queues to get through security from land-side but I'm hoping these won't be too bad on a Sunday early afternoon. Do FTers have any recent experience of security on a Sunday that they could share?

I may have access to Sky Priority if I can get an upgrade but otherwise will be in the normal queue.

I was thinking about leaving the city centre at 1400/1430 to make the 1625 flight but will leave earlier if the queues will be bad.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Nobody knows, the unpredictability is the big problem. You've got to clear security and passport control, leaving the city center about 2 hours before your flight is playing with fire.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I think, if you are actually departing in a train (or taxi) to the airport about 2 hours beforehand, you should be alright. But given the unpredictability recently I wouldn't cut it too much shorter than that. I haven't heard any stories of the queuing taking over an hour, and as you don't need to check-in baggage you should be fine with 1.5 hours at the airport (you will probably have time to spare even).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
I'm flying DXB - AMS - SOU on Sunday 14 May, arriving AMS at 0600 and departing at 1625, so a 10h25m layover. I'm going to get the train into central Amsterdam and have some brunch and walk around a bit before heading back to the airport.

I have read some horror stories on here about the queues to get through security from land-side but I'm hoping these won't be too bad on a Sunday early afternoon. Do FTers have any recent experience of security on a Sunday that they could share?

I may have access to Sky Priority if I can get an upgrade but otherwise will be in the normal queue.

I was thinking about leaving the city centre at 1400/1430 to make the 1625 flight but will leave earlier if the queues will be bad.
The KL flight departs at 16:35
if i were planning this, and security would take <90mins, departing from central station at 14:00 with the intercity, would be fine.
Happy travels
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I second Mcflyneo. Have fun on your trip!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
Nobody knows, the unpredictability is the big problem. You've got to clear security and passport control, leaving the city center about 2 hours before your flight is playing with fire.
A woman interviewed in De Telegraaf claims she waited in line at departure immigrations for two hours and twenty minutes the other day.

YMMV.

Johan
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
If the electronic control gates are open and working, you're OK.

If not, it's pretty bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.