Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(1) Carry on size - KLM. (2) Throw away a return.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Question (1) Carry on size - KLM. (2) Throw away a return.

Apologies if this is a bit redundant, but a search didn't find any recent info.

EDI --> AMS on KLM: Carry on restriction is 45x35x25. How strict is the enforcement? I am ~3 cm over on one dimension. Am I likely to have a problem?

Also, probably going to book a RT and throw away the return, cheaper than booking a one way. In NA this is not a problem. Any issues I should be aware of?

Thx.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Cabin baggage size is enforced on hit-and-miss basis, and nobody can foresee whether that will happen. If it is checked, having an accessory (backpack, handbag, laptop bag) makes one significantly more likely to have their carry-on sent to the baggage hold.

Throwaway ticketing is not a problem, as long as you do not do it too often.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
You are looking at the wrong carry on size ! It is 55x35x25 The 45 limit is for the second carry on in Business. Not that they seem to watch limits too carefully from what I see brought on board
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by ok986
Throwaway ticketing is not a problem, as long as you do not do it too often.
Hi.

Do you have hands on experience or know of testimony about anyone having problems for doing it "too often"?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Hi.

Do you have hands on experience or know of testimony about anyone having problems for doing it "too often"?
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...way-ticketing/

Airlines have the right to close your frequent flier account, refuse to sell you a ticket, and/or cancel your upcoming tickets and refund you the fare.

I presume that there's no legal obligation for you to take the full journey, so I'm not convinced that there's much beyond the above that airlines can do about it. How frequently they do even that... probably not often.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:58 pm

Hi.

My source for "not too often" has been a received wisdom of the FlyerTalk, interpreted in the light of my innate tendency to err on the side of caution.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
My source for "not too often" has been a received wisdom of the FlyerTalk, interpreted in the light of my innate tendency to err on the side of caution.
Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong.

You are telling us that you have no experience of problems for throwing away the return part of a RT ticket.

Telling us too that you neither know anyone who has, nor know of any testimony of any one who has.

But you nevertheless suggest (erring on the side of caution) not to do so without saying that this recomendation is only based on your personal fear that it might lead to problems.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:45 am

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong.

You are telling us that you have no experience of problems for throwing away the return part of a RT ticket.

Telling us too that you neither know anyone who has, nor know of any testimony of any one who has.

But you nevertheless suggest (erring on the side of caution) not to do so without saying that this recomendation is only based on your personal fear that it might lead to problems.
This topic has been tackled in other threads on this forum, where the consensus has been that this should not be a problem as long as one doesn't do it too often.

That's what I reported.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Last month, I "threw away" the return portion of a cheap KLM ticket (it suited me better to spend miles to return on another carrier on the previous day instead after my plans changed slightly).

There was no problem. Given that it was a cheap ticket booked in classes that did not earn in Alitalia's programme (whose number I used to obtain a free checked bag on the outbound), I did an immediate retro-claim with Flying Blue to obtain the miles in Flying Blue for the outbound flight. The miles posted immediately, along with a statement that that miles for the inbound were being withheld due to not taking the flight.

So KLM knows I didn't take the flight, and they did nothing.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:31 am

This topic has been tackled in other threads on this forum, where the consensus has been that this should not be a problem as long as one doesn't do it too often.

That's what I reported.
I am aware of this "consensus" hence my asking where you got this from.

You said it as an established fact.

Unless we get factual information proving the contrary, we should consider this for what it is: an urban legend relayed by people who have no other information than this very legend.

Or?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
With all of that said, possibly someone could explain the rationale for charging ~50% more for a one way ticket than a return. Doesn't make much sense, but then we're talking about airlines here.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We do have the recent report on FT from a well-known TA to the effect that BA terminated the agency's ticketing authority and issued ADM's as the result of the agency's ongoing participation in xEU ticketing with passengers routinely discarding the final segment of their travel.

That is commercial not consumer and the use of mechanisms which simply do not even exist in the consumer world, even if they could be used.

What was astounding to most was simply that BA tracked this so closely and had trained its front line call center staff to warn consumer customers booking x EU itineraries against throwaway ticketing with respect to that final segment.

Again, no suggestion that BA sued a consumer passenger or the like, but it's clear that at least BA has clearly tracked this and has the data. To what end isn't clear as I doubt that those who encounter bad things come to FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.