Wiki Posts
Search

744 at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
744 at SFO

Think it's going on 2 weeks there's a KLM 744 at SFO out at the parking spot where united puts the heavies for overnight. Anyone know what's going on?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:43 pm

That's PH-BFN and it is supposedly suffering a fuel leak.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
According to rumours the leak is so bad it's not economically viable to repair. She might get scrapped!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
According to rumours the leak is so bad it's not economically viable to repair. She might get scrapped!
How did it happen? did she suffer an accident or is it just bad maintenance? if no accident is involved it makes me wonder how bad KL's maintenance is that a 744 suddenly developed an off base mechanical problem so bad that it can't be economically repaired.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
How did it happen? did she suffer an accident or is it just bad maintenance? if no accident is involved it makes me wonder how bad KL's maintenance is that a 744 suddenly developed an off base mechanical problem so bad that it can't be economically repaired.
No idea. Normally the KLMSource is a good website for this kind of info, but unfortunately that site quit.
From what I read on other fora, the repair might take a while (assuming, hopefully, it can be fixed).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
No idea. Normally the KLMSource is a good website for this kind of info, but unfortunately that site quit.
From what I read on other fora, the repair might take a while (assuming, hopefully, it can be fixed).
On what forum did you read this info?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
Thanks for your opinion but that's completely off-base. KL's maintenance in reality is top-notch and ranks among the best in the industry.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Thanks for your opinion but that's completely off-base. KL's maintenance in reality is top-notch and ranks among the best in the industry.
I never really examined KL's maintenance record so I believe you regarding KL's top-notch maintenance. I'm just surprised that such a big issue suddenly happened without showing up on regular check-ups but I guess it's to be expected from a 23 year old 744.
I really hope KL will keep their 747's for a while, they will always be my favorite aircraft, bringing back good memories from my childhood.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: Platinum Ultimate for life
Anybody knows how long it will take before BFN will return to Amsterdam? If it returns at all...

Was the damage to #2 pylon caused by a collission?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:52 am
Original Poster

thanks. just flew back into SFO and 'she' was still there.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:29 am

Sources on Airliners.net report Boeing is currently repairing the -BFN at SFO. She could be back in service next week!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:06 am

Sources on Airliners.net report Boeing is currently repairing the -BFN at SFO. She could be back in service next week!
That's great news! thanks for keeping us updated on her status!!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

yes, flew in yesterday mid-day and -BFN was still there, looked like some work happening around the #2 engine. its been a month or so. must have been a hard spare part to order
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:34 am

The BFN is currently enroute back to AMS.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Looks like it is back in service. FlightAware has it landing at sxm and cur today then prob back to AMS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.