Wiki Posts
Search

So much for six runways!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So much for six runways!

One of these rare and unexpected windy days in Holland today.

Of 60 departures scheduled between 8h55 and 10h55 this evening, three have been canceled, three left more or less on time, and the others are delayed. A few lucky ones by only 30 minutes or so, but most by 1½ - 2 hours.

What use are six runways when three of them are at right angles to the direction most storms come from, and all of them are subject to various usage restrictions that limit their utility and capacity?

LHR, with all of two runways, is doing much better. No cancelations, fewer and shorter delays. Of the delayed flight, three have AMS as their destination.

Johan
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Yesterday and the day before were a lot worse. Apparently so many people were stranded at Schiphol that they set up beds for the night.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
LHR, with all of two runways, is doing much better. No cancelations, fewer and shorter delays. Of the delayed flight, three have AMS as their destination.
I was on this morning's first BA flight of the day from LHR to AMS - having been delayed yesterday in getting to London as well - but I managed to minimise the delay by getting rebooked onto an "earlier" flight that should have landed back in London before I had even arrived at Schiphol.

On arrival at the airport this morning, the Flight Display screens were showing a delay of 40 minutes. When we boarded - in good time for the new departure time - the captain apologised profusely, stating that BA ops had somehow mistakenly delayed the flight for no good reason. We had therefore missed our slot, and this, taken with the wind at Amsterdam together with - apparently - the installation of new software at Amsterdam ATC - meant that our next slot would not have us airborne for another 100 minutes or so.

End result - we landed 2 hours late.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
Yesterday and the day before were a lot worse. Apparently so many people were stranded at Schiphol that they set up beds for the night.
About 90 flights were canceled yesterday, I believe. Haven't bothered to check, but I suspect that Cityhopper took the brunt of the storm, like usual.

Edited to add that luchtvaartnieuws.nl reports another 56 cancelations today.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Apr 1, 2015 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
About 90 flights were canceled yesterday, I believe. Haven't bothered to check, but I suspect that Cityhopper took the brunt of the storm, like usual.

Edited to add that luchtvaartnieuws.nl reports another 56 cancelations today.

Johan
BA Source reports three BA cancellations on Wednesday (http://www.thebasource.com/010415-br...cancellations/) and sixteen on Tuesday (http://www.thebasource.com/310315-br...cancellations/)

My flight LHR-NCE on Tuesday was delayed by a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.