Search

KLM flights to US East coast affected by hurricane Sandy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Exclamation KLM flights to US East coast affected by hurricane Sandy

Tropical Storm Sandy in the United States

Tropical storm Sandy is expected to impact travel to from or via the following states:

• Washington Dc
• Delaware
• Maryland
• North Carolina
• New Jersey
• New York
• South Carolina
• Virginia
• Massachusetts
• West Virginia
• Pennsylvania
• Connecticut
• Vermont
• New Hampshire
• Rhode Island
• Maine

The following flights are cancelled for Monday 29, October 2012:
KL641/KL642 to/from New York, John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Kl643/644 to/from New York, John F. Kennedy International Airport.
KL651/KL652 to/from Washington Dulles International Airport.

Check the arrival and departure times of our flights
For flights operated by Delta Air Lines please check www.delta.com
For flight operated by Air France please check www.airfrance.com

Re-booking :
You may change flight dates for travel to/from/via any point the States mentioned above at free of charge.

Your rebook options:
If you are booked on a KLM flight between Sunday, 28 October 2012 and Wednesday, 31 October 2012 to, from or via Amsterdam and the flight is cancelled. Please see rebook options below.

Contact KLM:

Via www.Facebook.com/KLM
Via twitter.com/KLM
By telephone

Did you book your ticket via a travel agent? Please contact them to change your travel dates and/or destination.

Rebook options:

The following voluntary re-book options may be offered to customers ticketed to/from/via the above mentioned states until Sunday, 4 November 2012.

1. Change of travel dates
If you want to change your travel dates:

Departure should take place no later than Sunday 4 November 2012 – the original duration of stay may be preserved.
One departing travel date and one return travel date may be changed.
Rebooking is free of charge within the same booking class as stated in the original ticket.
If rebooking to a higher booking class than the one stated in the original ticket, the difference in fare will be charged. You do not have to pay a change fee.
Rebooking must be done by the end of the day of Sunday 4 November 2012.

2. Change of destination
You may use the full value of your original ticket to buy new tickets of the same or a higher Air France, KLM and/or Delta Air Lines booking class:

You do not have to pay a change fee.
Rebooking must be done by the end of the day of Sunday 4 November 2012.

Refunds
You may request a refund if your KLM flight to, from or via Amsterdam Airport Schiphol was cancelled, or delayed for more than 3 hours.
Read more about refunds
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Every time again I am wondering what exactly they mean by this: Rebooking is free of charge within the same booking class as stated in the original ticket.

Does it mean that if one holds an R class ticket and only M is available, the price difference needs to be paid? Or are they talking about economy vs business?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Every time again I am wondering what exactly they mean by this: Rebooking is free of charge within the same booking class as stated in the original ticket.

Does it mean that if one holds an R class ticket and only M is available, the price difference needs to be paid? Or are they talking about economy vs business?
I would say it is probably the first one.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it mean that if one holds an R class ticket and only M is available, the price difference needs to be paid?
Yep, and nothing stops them from suddenly restricting availabikity in the lower fare buckets, thus severely limiting rebooking options. I can give an especially egregious example of that.

Johan
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:04 pm

I am stranded in AMS right now (was supposed to be on DL651 Monday). I had originally booked some discount fare class (T or something, doesn't matter). In any case, they rebooked me onto B fare at no extra charge, and I was even able to get free Economy Comfort seating.

Right now I am trying to figure out if I am entitled to any hotel compensation? Also, the last sentence said that they would issue refunds if travelling through AMS. Does that mean a refund even if I fly my new return legs home?

Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

KLM flights to US East coast affected by hurricane Sandy

In case of severe delay or cancellation, you have always the right of accommodation, meals and communication.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yep, and nothing stops them from suddenly restricting availabikity in the lower fare buckets, thus severely limiting rebooking options. I can give an especially egregious example of that.

Johan
Say I would travel on a cheap ticket, a promotion, for which the booking class is not offered any more (ie, the world deal weeks tickets).

Then a storm would hit halfway during my trip, and my flight home gets cancelled. Since the promo is over and the original booking class is not available any more on any flight, I am stuck forever?

I assume that the Rebooking option mentioned would be voluntary, while not asking to be rebooked (and be put on a flight that suits the airline best) would be involuntary, and therefore free. But that difference is not really mentioned at that KLM page..
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:13 am

KLM is denying responsibility for hotel/food, based on it being the fault of the Hurricane.

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
In case of severe delay or cancellation, you have always the right of accommodation, meals and communication.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: FB PFL
Originally Posted by dmoon01
KLM is denying responsibility for hotel/food, based on it being the fault of the Hurricane.
dmmoon, that is not what i have been told by the klm folks in the lounge. could it be because you originate in ams and I am in transit from JNB?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmoon01
Despite this being force majeur, the airlines is still required BY LAW to provide 'assistance' in the form of food/drinks, accommodation and communication in case of severe delay/cancellation.
They are NOT DUE compensation.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Despite this being force majeur, the airlines is still required BY LAW to provide 'assistance' in the form of food/drinks, accommodation and communication in case of severe delay/cancellation.
They are NOT DUE compensation.
+1 to this.

BTW, my recent re-routings were always booked in a higher fare bucket than the original ticket with no surcharges (but also mostly no auto-post of miles )

Good luck to all of you stranded worldwide!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: FB PFL
Originally Posted by KL803
+1 to this.

BTW, my recent re-routings were always booked in a higher fare bucket than the original ticket with no surcharges (but also mostly no auto-post of miles )

Good luck to all of you stranded worldwide!
As I mentioned in man other post today, my fare bucket on this saga went so far from A to M to B to Y and now down to Q.... When asked the tell me we just book u in whatever fare is avail ... I asked about miles...they tell me to deal with that later..
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:08 pm

Well the FB rules say you should get credited for the original booking class in case of irrops. Having said that, it is awfully nice if they replacement flights automagically post as they almost always are in a higher fare bucket
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
East Coast destinations are open again (with the exception of LGA, but KLM is not flying there). Hope all get to their destinations soon... there is a considerable backlog because of flight cancellations in the past few days.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by PHXflier
East Coast destinations are open again (with the exception of LGA, but KLM is not flying there). Hope all get to their destinations soon... there is a considerable backlog because of flight cancellations in the past few days.
LGA reopened. A friend flew KL641 yesterday and funnily enough was able to upgrade using points at AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.