Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Economy Comfort

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:44 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bworrell
Does anyone have any links to announcements or info about EC on shorter flights? I'm thinking about booking ORD-AMS-IST, and the AMS-IST flights are serviced by a 737 -- I'm thinking a 73H. Will those get EC eventually?
I flew AMS-ATH a few days ago, 737-800. I (online) checked myself in to 4D, my favorite seat. At the checkin counter the lady mentioned that I am in a paid comfort seat.

I cannot deny that these seats are comfortable, in fact, I prefer them over an exit row. So far I have been able to get them without any issue as a Gold member, but I would not be surprised if that changes. Which would suck but no doubt is another way for KL to make a few pennies more..
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
I might have missed this somewhere else but I just got a call from a colleague who was at the airport and asked to be moved to an EC seat on IAD-AMS. She is FB Plat. The lounge person did it but informed her that the rules were going to change March 1, 2013. Does anyone know if this is true and what the new rules are?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:40 pm

Hmm, I have only once asked this at the lounge, and they flatout denied they would even be able to..

Would this change at March 1 be positive or negative?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Hmm, I have only once asked this at the lounge, and they flatout denied they would even be able to..

Would this change at March 1 be positive or negative?
Not quite sure and I hate to speculate. But she said that the lounge agent said that she could today but that "anyways, the rules are changing March 1st." She took that to mean that they would be tightening up the rules...maybe fareclass and status. And now I have speculated.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by michelw
I might have missed this somewhere else but I just got a call from a colleague who was at the airport and asked to be moved to an EC seat on IAD-AMS. She is FB Plat. The lounge person did it but informed her that the rules were going to change March 1, 2013. Does anyone know if this is true and what the new rules are?
In the context of the conversation as reported, perhaps it just means that the lounge agents will not in future be allowed to change seat assignments?

I had the bizarre situation at the end of last year of having tried to move myself out of an Economy Comfort Seat to sit further back with a friend who happened to later book on the same flight as me. This could not be done online, so I rang up, and the KLM agent was able to move me back. Problem solved, or so I thought. I happened to look at the reservation again a few days later, and I had been magically moved forward again into the Economy Comfort zone. It didn't seem worthwhile ringing again to ask to be moved again as it seemed likely I would just be moved again automatically later.

At check in (we had bags, but had already checked in online which may have been a mistake!), I asked the check-in agent if I could be moved back to a "normal" seat. This was at the SkyPriority check-in area at Schiphol. The agent there said she was not able to change seat assignments, and directed us to the blue check-in kiosks, being adamant that that was the only way either of us could change our seat assignments. (She may even have told us to try in the lounge, she said something along the lines of the checkin staff not being able to do anything other than put tags on bags). I found that hard to believe. As it turned out, the flight was fairly full so there weren't any "free" seats left for me to choose from, and we decided it wasn't worth paying €50 to move the other guy forward.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Bronze, Emirates Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by rmorales
I think is totally worth paying an extra 300 for return economy comfort, it does make a difference.
I'd rather have an exit row seat in economy than have a regular economy comfort seat. Row 21 for example on the 747 combi.

Last edited by ScotFly2000; Feb 23, 2013 at 11:56 am
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
SMART MOVE OF KLM

Travelled in Ec-comfort to BCN this Sunday. I am 1.91 meter tall.

Have to say the extra space between the seat in front of you makes a difference.
It is a smart move of KLM as they can first try to sell the Ec-comfort chair as a Business seat (only blocking the middle seat) or if Business demand is low (as is the case with BCN) sell the seat as Ec-comfort. Result is max. Flexibility!!

Of course some critics will say ”and did anybody pay for it??”
Most likely not yet. But give it some time before evaluating the financials.

I sit often in the new LH NEK seat (cramped like Transavia) and I can tell you that KLM has here a strong competitive edge.

Furthermore, I can also compliment the cabin crew. Friendly, attentive and professional. Good atmosphere!!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Almost seamless service

I have flown out of IST to AMS on KL (once in January, once in February). Each time I had selected a seat in the "economy comfort" zone. This was part of an itinerary purchased from Delta. When I checked in at KLM their reservation moved me to the back of the bus. At the airport checkin they were able to move me back to "economy comfort". I am a Delta Platinum. The Delta website allows me to chose the more comfortable seat on KLM. The KLM website tries to charge me a fee for this.
Delta and KLM should talk about this and harmonize their computers.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:35 pm

Flew from Athens yesterday and they seem to consistently get it right from there:

- Upon showing my gold card to the check-in lady she let me choose any EC seat free of charge. Which is great, as upgrades needed to take place anyway. So they recognise that in this case they best upgrade Golds voluntarily.

- EC was filled AC and DF first. A handful people needed to be upgraded from Eco, and they did so starting from the back of EC, putting 6 upgrades in a row. (Thus leaving frequent fliers in the first rows at 4 pax per row).

So the seat map was exactly the way you want it to be:

Code:
XbX XeX 1
XbX XeX 2
--- ---
XbX XeX 3
XbX XeX 4
XbX XeX 5
XbX XeX 6
XXX XXX 7
XXX XXX 8
XXX XXX 9
--- ---
XXX XXX 10
XXX XXX 11
XXX XXX 12
She also confirmed that they upgrade people at the check in desk if needed, and only upgrades to business are done at the gate..

I know a lot of things have been said about Greece and its people over the last few years, but I have yet to find any airport in the mediterranean where they are so professional and yet nice Not just at check in, but also at the lounges and at the gate. Which is by the way all done by the same group of maybe ~8 (?) people in ATH, at least for the AF/KL flights.

Last edited by Xandrios; Feb 19, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is by the way all done by the same group of about ~8 (?) people in ATH, at least for the Skyteam flights.
Sounds as if they should send seven of these people around to all KL's outstations (AMS is a hopeless case) to teach the locals best practice.

Johan

Last edited by Gajan; Feb 20, 2013 at 4:56 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond

Code:
XbX XeX 1
XbX XeX 2
--- ---
XbX XeX 3
XbX XeX 4
XbX XeX 5
XbX XeX 6
XXX XXX 7
XXX XXX 8
XXX XXX 9
--- ---
XXX XXX 10
XXX XXX 11
XXX XXX 12
what do 'b' and 'e' stand for? Blocked? Empty? Elite?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ajs123
what do 'b' and 'e' stand for? Blocked? Empty? Elite?
I guess they are as in abc-def.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by alesfo
I guess they are as in abc-def.
gotcha @:-)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:50 am

No more EC available and the lady at the platinum line could not do more than assigning me a middle seat at the emergency exit row. Did this ever happen to you before ?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to me personally, but EC seats can of course run out, just like all other seats.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.