Wiki Posts
Search

UK 'taxes and other charges'...again, sorry

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
UK 'taxes and other charges'...again, sorry

To beat the high charges involved from the UK with Premium travel longhaul, my wife and I are off to S America from AMS with KL. I'm going to book seperately, two KL 'down the back' seats to connect from LHR. Will KL at check in be able to combine both so that our bags are checked all the way through ?
The longhaul flight is two Award seats in WBC and from LHR to AMS I'm paying cash for the two cheap seats form LHR to AMS. Ideally it would be good to combine both on one ticket in the event that iif our outbound flight is delayed/cancelled, whatever, then at least KL would not leave us stranded, but I imagine that this is not possible.
(Trust this makes sense.)
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:25 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
To beat the high charges involved from the UK with Premium travel longhaul, my wife and I are off to S America from AMS with KL. I'm going to book seperately, two KL 'down the back' seats to connect from LHR. Will KL at check in be able to combine both so that our bags are checked all the way through ?
The longhaul flight is two Award seats in WBC and from LHR to AMS I'm paying cash for the two cheap seats form LHR to AMS. Ideally it would be good to combine both on one ticket in the event that iif our outbound flight is delayed/cancelled, whatever, then at least KL would not leave us stranded, but I imagine that this is not possible.
(Trust this makes sense.)
Checking luggage through will be no problem.

Regarding your two tickets if something goes wrong, they might be lenient as your travelling on the same airline but do not expect anything.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Gajan
Checking luggage through will be no problem.

Regarding your two tickets if something goes wrong, they might be lenient as your travelling on the same airline but do not expect anything.
To develop Gajan's answer, they may (or may not) be lenient but as suggested, I wouldn't expect anything and they will NOT be able to combine two tickets into one so there will be no formal protection. This means that you should leave plenty of time for your connection and not do the sort of 'mini-connection-time' you would be allowed to do on a single ticket. My recommendation would be an absolute minimum of 2 hours on two separate tickets even with the same airline (the more you allow, the more likely leniency is if something goes wrong).

As mentioned by Gajan, checking the bags through will be absolutely no problem.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Thanks.

Thanks for that....do I assume that if I applied for 2 reward tickets to AMS instead of purchasing, that this would make no difference either ? (To 'protection'.)
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Thanks for that....do I assume that if I applied for 2 reward tickets to AMS instead of purchasing, that this would make no difference either ? (To 'protection'.)
No difference whatsoever. The difference is between one ticket and two tickets, regardless of how it/they are paid (miles or cash).
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
And as for luggage, remember that you'll be accorded allowance based on your outbound ie LHR-AMS flight ie 1 piece per person @ 23kg (+1 more if you're Elite and above) and not your higher allowable allowance for the WBC flight which is 3 pieces per person @ 23kg each (+1 more if you're Elite and above).. For the return, as you'll be checking in WBC, you'll be checked through so no problem there.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:56 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
I did a similar thing in Feb. on LH to South Africa.

Used LH for the connection to FRA from EDI and had about a 6 hour connection time.

For KLM most of the times I look at doing this the flight leaving AMS tends to be in the morning, if that is the case I consider the first flight out of EDI to "connect" but then realise I don't have enough time if the flight is delayed.

I then look at the option of flying in the night before & staying in a hotel which sometimes works out about the same cost as the fkight would have been with the UK APD.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by pmcg
I then look at the option of flying in the night before & staying in a hotel which sometimes works out about the same cost as the fkight would have been with the UK APD.
Theoretically, this can be reduced by spending more than 24 hours in AMS, making it a stopover rather than a connection. UK APD would then be based on LON-AMS.

I'm looking at this for a future trip. It would have to be booked by phone (that Paris number) as online doesn't work.

Mike's suggestion of using awards for both UK-AMS and AMS-South America means using up more miles (20,000 more p.p.?) as well as paying UK APD, albeit reduced based on UK-AMS rather than the whole trip.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
I'm looking at this for a future trip. It would have to be booked by phone (that Paris number) as online doesn't work.
Why doesn't it work online? Can't this be done using the Multiple Destinations feature on the KLM website, or similarly on a third party travel website (Expedia, etc)?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why doesn't it work online? Can't this be done using the Multiple Destinations feature on the KLM website ...
I'd love to try but I haven't been able to work out how to do it. I'd be looking at LHR/LCY-AMS//AMS-CPT//CPT-AMS-LHR/LCY for example.
... or similarly on a third party travel website (Expedia, etc)?
AFAIK award flights can only be booked direct with FB.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Sorry...I missed the part in your original post where you stated you were talking about Award seats. Apologies.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Apologies.
None needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.