Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: KLM stewardess gets fired over having too short hair

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:32 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
OT: KLM stewardess gets fired over having too short hair

From Nu.nl.

In short:
KLM has a policy that states that the minimum length of hair has to be 1 centimetre. As her hair length was 2 millimetres she got laid off.
According to the article before 2007 they stated that her hair was too short, but they did not make a fuss out of it. Only from then did they find it offensive.

Interesting fact from the judge:
De Haarlemse kantonrechter stelde dat het bijna kaalscheren van hoofdhaar bij vrouwen maatschappelijk niet algemeen aanvaard is en stelde de luchtvaartmaatschappij in het gelijk.
According to the judge it is not sociably accepted behaviour for women to shave their head bald and ruled in favour of KLM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Gajan
According to the judge it is not sociably accepted behaviour for women to shave their head bald and ruled in favour of KLM.
I hope there is more to the story than this, as this sounds a bit too far out... SERIOUSLY!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gajan
KLM has a policy that states that the minimum length of hair has to be 1 centimetre. As her hair length was 2 millimetres she got laid off.
Beautiful!! For once there was a KLM stewardess that didn't have grey hair...

I've checked the press reports and apparently this lady claims that she never had any complaints from any passengers, but nothing but positive remarks instead:

Hesselberth zelf zegt van passagiers en collega's van andere maatschappijen juist veel positieve opmerkingen te hebben gekregen. Ze realiseert zich dat stewardess een representatieve functie is, maar denkt daarbij niet in de eerst plaats aan haar. "Belangrijker is de manier waarop een passagier wordt behandeld tijdens de vlucht. De service zit hem in de oprechtheid en niet in het haar.'

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1003/You/article/detail/524387/2010/10/26/Stewardess-KLM-ontslagen-om-kort-koppie.dhtml
I'm not quite sure how to translate 'oprechtheid', but I guess that 'sincerity' would be quite a bit too severe... much like the schoolteacher types in the AFKL cabin crew pool.

Last edited by Gajan; Oct 27, 2010 at 4:41 am Reason: profanity
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetimer / Air NZ Airpoints
I don't agree with the judge's reasoning...but I side with KLM on this one. What is written in the rule book is just that. Personally, I'm not impressed by a lot of the grooming or lack of it, presented by some KLM crew but a shaven head - male or female would be too much for me.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
I don't see what the issue is. 2mm isn't shaved, that would be 0mm.

As long as she does her job properly and isn't scruffy and or unwashed then there is no problem.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doug_1970

As long as she does her job properly and isn't scruffy and or unwashed then there is no problem.
I fully concur. The length of the Snork Maidens' hair is of no interest whatsoever to me, I couldn't care less.

I hope she appeals and wins, that kantonrechter must have trained during the Inquisition.

I recall that KL tried to fire a captain in the 80s because he wore a beard, which was against company regulations. The captain won in court, despite KL claiming a beard was unsafe because oxygen masks would not fit snugly.

Johan
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I've read there wasn't a problem until 2005 when a colleague filed a complaint. Between 2007 and 2010 she got 3 official warnings and a reprimand.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
While I think the judges comments were out of line, how is this any different than a company requiring men to have short hair?

There is an amusment park by me that a lot of friends worked at during college, and while I am not sure if they still have this policy, in the late 80s mens hair couldn't be longer than a certain length.

I am sure KLM doesn't allow their male crew to have hair that goes past their shoulders but doesn't have a problem with their female crew having long hair.

How is a minimum hair length for women any different than a max hair lenth for men?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I hope she appeals and wins
^ +1

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How is a minimum hair length for women any different than a max hair lenth for men?
It's no different. And if the OP's post had been about a male steward getting the sack for having long hair, then that would be just as wrong.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I suppose one important factor is that the company did not have any problem with the short/no hair before and afterwards they did.
Her solution of wearing a wig apparently did not appeal to KLM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:20 am

Methinks KLM is being too snarky wth this Snork Maiden who wants to baldy take female FAs' appearance where it has never gone before.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Had quite some flights with KL recently, but cannot recall an FA with such hair. Maybe didn't notice!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by johan rebel

I hope she appeals and wins, that kantonrechter must have trained during the Inquisition.
+1 on all accounts.

A somehow shocking verdict within the EU in 2010...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Doug_1970
Actually according to the article is was 8mm. Two millimeters too short.

I agree in principe, but KL has rules about this and this stewardess did not comply with those. It's not exactly random. I wonder if she couldn't just grow her hair the two extra millimeters. (Or more accurately, since that happens in a week anyway, not have it cut the two extra millimeters.)

Last edited by CyBeR; Oct 28, 2010 at 7:32 pm Reason: this forum needs more useful tag parsing.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
In order to help resolve this, I googled "snork maiden with no hair" - without success.
So, snork maidens are obviously supposed to come with hair and KLM is probably in the right here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.