Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: KLM to order A330-300?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:42 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
OT: KLM to order A330-300?

Rumors from the airliners.net forum.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Don't think they decided to buy them for the MP destinations so quickly. I think they will, to replace the MD-11's.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Don't think they decided to buy them for the MP destinations so quickly. I think they will, to replace the MD-11's.
There are 10 MD-11's. Considering lower maintance on brandnew A330's the 9 aircraft rumor is actually plausible. But I also think that KLM does not want to continue with the 4 ancient 767's from MP because it would add to the maintance bill and complicate the fleet compatibillity for operations...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Zembla
But I also think that KLM does not want to continue with the 4 ancient 767's from MP because it would add to the maintance bill and complicate the fleet compatibillity for operations...
The 767 are indeed being fased out. It can handle 274 pax, I'm curious how many pax the A333 will be equipped for. Will they put the WBC seats in it? Would be logical if they replace the MD-11 with them.
I think this order will be to refresh the KL fleet, and they decide later for the MP routes. As this order is on such a short notice.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
The 767 are indeed being fased out. It can handle 274 pax, I'm curious how many pax the A333 will be equipped for. Will they put the WBC seats in it? Would be logical if they replace the MD-11 with them.
I think this order will be to refresh the KL fleet, and they decide later for the MP routes. As this order is on such a short notice.
I doubt that KLM will configure their A333's specifically for the MP routes.
Besides that, the MP 767's have "comfort class" at 32-33 inch pitch and "economy class" at 30 inch pitch.
KLM's pitch on the A332 is 32 inch in Y.
If some of the frames are a replacement for the oldest MD-11's and the MP routes, I am guessing they will install about 30 J class seats, some Eco Comfort and the rest Y class with 31 to 32 inch pitch in Y.

Last edited by jetfan; Oct 12, 2010 at 12:15 pm
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jetfan
I doubt that KLM will configure their A333's specifically for the MP routes.
Besides that, the MP 767's have "comfort class" at 32 inch pitch and "economy class" at 30 inch pitch.
KLM's pitch on the A332 is 32 inch in Y.
If some of the frames are a replacement for the oldest MD-11's and the MP routes, I am guessing they will install about 30 J class seats, some Eco Comfort and the rest Y class with 31 to 32 inch pitch in Y.
It basicly ruins the concept of MP to be a "low cost" holiday airline with frills. Now the MP routes will be flown by KL, service will go up so as the fares. Don't know if J seats on e.g. AMS-Cancún will be profitable.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

It basicly ruins the concept of MP to be a "low cost" holiday airline with frills. Now the MP routes will be flown by KL, service will go up so as the fares. Don't know if J seats on e.g. AMS-Cancún will be profitable.
I did not think Martinair was that cheap to be honest. I was looking at flights to Florida, and if I am not mistaken, cheapest tickets were around €590, which was comparable to KLM + Delta flights connecting in the States. I know my research was not that comprehensive, so if others have any other experiences please tell me.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:06 pm

Any more news on the 747 fleet? Of course kl is now almost finished with the refurbishment of the 747's but they are expected to be replaced within the next couple of years right? Will we see the new 787 or even the 747-800 in KLM colors?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DreCube
Will we see the new 787 or even the 747-800 in KLM colors?
No such orders have been placed yet. There are usually several years between placing the order and the actual delivery, so I don't think so. I don't know if it makes sense for KL to acquire more 747s... with the 777s in the fleet, they seem to be doing pretty well. If anything I would expect more 777s and A330s.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
More 330's can only be a good thing. Can't get ten across for a start in Y! They could try nine though.....
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Perhaps they are considering a similar concept as AF's COI? Only 2 rows of C and less leg space in Y than on regular AF planes.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Zembla
Perhaps they are considering a similar concept as AF's COI? Only 2 rows of C and less leg space in Y than on regular AF planes.
Yeah, but hopefully still be an all-frill airline on that routes. Otherwise they will get a bit of a "LCC" status on some routes. They have to plan there a/c schedule correct if there is really a difference in service/comfort on "full" KL flights and continued holiday flights, so that people who pay for the regular flights aren't affected with an a/c swap which results in less legroom (which is almost unhuman with the already tight pitch in Y).
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

According to a message on the KLM facebook page the Martinair aircraft will be returned to the lease company.
Except for Havana are there any other routes planned to be taken over by KLM?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: FB Gold, LH Miles&More FF
Miami for sure and I heard some rumors about Cancun..
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:23 am

Tomorrow, the first KLM A330-300 (PH-AKA) will land at AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.