Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is B6's Standby Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Circumstances like that are precisely what travel insurance is for.

:-:
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Can Usually Get On If You Miss Your Flight Due Arrive at Airport Late

Someone recently posted in this thread that if you miss your flight because you arrived at the airport late, for whatever reason, that no airline will give you a free pass. This may be technically correct by the book, but I have been flying since 1989 on a lot of different airlines, and all of them have a sort of unofficial policy that they will accommodate passengers who miss their flights. This is sometimes broadly called the flat tire rule, and eg UA had (or used to have, not sure) a more official policy called a Missed Trip Policy.

Basically it is up to the agent what they do if you miss your flight, and you may very well get three different interpretations if you talk with three different agents.

This past weekend I was with two people that missed their 10:00am flight on B^, and showed up at the airport around 4:00pm or so. I did the $50 change by phone because I bought an EMS seat and there was only one EMS seat on the new flight and I wanted to make sure I got a good seat. My two friends who missed the flight were accommodated by paying the $50 same day fee at the ticket counter. Again, that is not the official policy, but that is what happened in real life. The two friends did not push it, but they may have allowed them to go standby instead of paying the $50 depending on the whim of the agent who helped them.

This all being said, US and UA for elite flyers have better accommodation than B6 because by official policy they waive the same day change fee for elites. This is one reason I fly US 3-4 a month.

Sure, yes, I could negotiate with B6, and probably 99% of the time get the situation resolved to my satisfaction despite their official policy, but on US I would automatically bea acccommodated on an earlier flight, and by unofficial policy would be accommodated on a later flight. US, like B6, official policy does not discuss accommodation on later flights when you miss your flight.

One other aside I read on the B6 web site, I believe the mobiel site, that they will accommodate standby on the next later flight if a pax misses their flight. I'm not sure if that is still official policy, or if its just some old content on the mobile pages.

I'm curious also as a Mosaic level flyer if officially or unofficially they waive the same day confirmed fee at the airport?

But in conclusion, no matter what the policy is or isn't, what you get depends on what you can negotiate with the agent and the rapport or lack of rapport you have with the agent. That is really the key, and completely trumps anything else!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:52 am

Quick question on an old topic.

I have a connecting flight - SJO - FLL - LGA - with a 4+ hr layover in FLL. Will need to check luggage.

With the checked luggage is it possible to sit on standby for an earlier flight to LGA out of FLL? Do I just do this when I land at FLL, or do I need to do it earlier?

Also can I do standby for flights to JFK or does it have to be LGA?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

LGA only and you do it at FLL, before you drop your bags in re-check after clearing immigration/customs. JFK if there is weather or other issues but not likely otherwise.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG
Originally Posted by jetsetter
Basically it is up to the agent what they do if you miss your flight, and you may very well get three different interpretations if you talk with three different agents...
...no matter what the policy is or isn't, what you get depends on what you can negotiate with the agent and the rapport or lack of rapport you have with the agent. That is really the key, and completely trumps anything else!
jetsetter, that is really solid advice that pertains not just to B6 but flying standby in general.

Updated JetBlue standby information as of July 25, 2014:
- Free standby for same-day flight changes for ticketed passengers (cash and award tickets), must request in person at airport, must pay any difference in fare, preceding flight only (or previous day if only one flight per day)
- Same day confirmed flight changes $50 before departure, $75 to $150 after, and you don't have to pay for any increase in fare between the old and new flights. Can change to either earlier or later flights the same day.

Standby for No Shows (missed flights):
- same policies as above (free same day standby, $50-$150 same day flight change)
- if your airport only has one flight per day to your destination, they will list you standby for the next day's flight

JetBlue Standby policies

Deciding Which JetBlue Standby Option Is Best for You
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:16 am

Anyone know what the standby policies / same day confirmed change policies are for an itinerary that includes a codeshare flight, in this case Cape Air? I'm currently booked on an itinerary that includes only JetBlue segments, but want to switch to an itinerary that includes Cape Air and JetBlue segments. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.