Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

First time flying alone, need help...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

I purchased Jet Blue tickets online, and I'm flying out of SYR with a layover at JFK, and then down to RSW.

Problem is I've never flown alone before, and I'm kind of worried about missing a flight so it's giving me some anxiety.

I know when you get in the airport, you go to the check in counter and have the option of checking your bags, and then they give you your boarding pass. Following that, you go through security, which without a carry on and just a wallet and phone should be pretty easy. After that you find your terminal and gate and sit down and wait for your flight.

I guess one of my biggest worries lies at the gate part of the trip. I've heard gates can change multiple times, so what if you're sitting down 35 minutes before your trip and then suddenly the gates changed? So I'll have to check for a gate change every five minutes until I'm able to board? And then the last couple of times I've flown, it seemed like the people who announce boarding for the flight don't speak clearly half of the time...Also, do I have to check in at the desk before my connecting flight?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
You will not have to check in at the gate/counter at JFK. You will just proceed to the gate of your connecting flight. How long are you on the ground at JFK? With the concerns you have, I recommend being at the JFK gate 60 mins before the flight departs. You likely board 30 mins before departure. The 60 mins will give you peace of mind to confirm you are in the right place and the gate hasn't changed.

Don't stress out. You will likely know quite clearly if the gate changes last minute. You will see a mass exodus from your gate headed to the new one.

You will be fine!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:41 pm

Everyone has a first time, so you're not alone. If you are worried about the gate changing, just keep checking the departure boards as you walk toward the gate and they will indicate if there has been a change.

Hope you have a great time in Ft. Myers!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
You will not have to check in at the gate/counter at JFK. You will just proceed to the gate of your connecting flight. How long are you on the ground at JFK? With the concerns you have, I recommend being at the JFK gate 60 mins before the flight departs. You likely board 30 mins before departure. The 60 mins will give you peace of mind to confirm you are in the right place and the gate hasn't changed.

Don't stress out. You will likely know quite clearly if the gate changes last minute. You will see a mass exodus from your gate headed to the new one.

You will be fine!
The scheduled arrival at JFK and the takeoff at JFK is about an hour layover, so I know I have half an hour to adjust because of boarding.

Are the apps always accurate when the gate changes?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread as I move it to the Jet Blue Forum.
Good luck with your travels...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The Jet blue app is fantastic as well as (surprisingly) the google app although I rarely experience gate changes with Jet Blue.

There are a lot of monitors at the gates in JFK so you don't even need to hear the PA announcements, you can see the monitors at every gate.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
The Jet blue app is fantastic as well as (surprisingly) the google app although I rarely experience gate changes with Jet Blue.

There are a lot of monitors at the gates in JFK so you don't even need to hear the PA announcements, you can see the monitors at every gate.

I'm confused, are you talking about for boarding, or for gate changes?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
[/B]

I'm confused, are you talking about for boarding, or for gate changes?
Both are announced at the monitors. "Boarding" would be in the flight status field, and the gate would obviously be in the gate field on the screen.
Since you'll be on JetBlue's terminal there should be loads of their employees all over if you end up confused or something. (although there's no reason for that )
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klanfa
Both are announced at the monitors. "Boarding" would be in the flight status field, and the gate would obviously be in the gate field on the screen.
Since you'll be on JetBlue's terminal there should be loads of their employees all over if you end up confused or something. (although there's no reason for that )
I'm so glad I joined this site, for reasons like that. I had no idea there was a "boarding" status on the monitors.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When you land at JFK check the monitors in the terminal (or the app) for the currently scheduled gate. Head to that gate. You should see the flight details on the board at the gate once you get there. Assuming the flight is listed for that gate any changes will almost certainly be announced in that gate area so it would be hard for you to miss one.

Also, while gate changes do happen they are not really all that common inside of an hour from departure. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us

Seconded. I think if you have a cell phone you should download the corresponding airline app to whomever you are flying. It is much nicer to always have a copy of the boarding pass, and most of the apps will do auto updates for any changes, delays, boarding status, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:12 pm

First, we all were in your shoes at one time. Even experienced travelers sometimes feel a little bit of apprehension when going to a new airport in a country they've never been to before.

Most frequent flyers check-in online or via the airlines' smartphone app. Electronic check-in opens up 24 hours prior to the flight departure time. This will save you time at the airport, but is optional. SYR's not a large airport, so the line at the ticket counter won't be too long. You will be issued TWO boarding passes, one for each flight (ie: SYR->JFK, JFK->RSW).

Gate changes happen often, so once you clear security it's always a good idea to have a look at the departures board, even at SYR.

Departures board at JFK

As you can see on this board, it's 5:46pm, and the 5:55pm flight to Fort Myers departing from Gate 18 has loaded its passengers and closed the door. The next flight is 8:30pm and is expected to be at Gate 9.

Something to note: Departure time *IS NOT* Boarding time. Boarding generally begins 30 minutes BEFORE the Departure time. Departure time = when the aircraft leaves / takes off. JetBlue CLOSES the door 15 minutes before the Departure time. If everyone's on the plane early, they'll try to get the plane out of there early.

Fortunately, this information is duplicated at the gates at JFK, so there will be a monitor by the Gate door which will show you where that plane is going and stats on the flight. Note the difference between Boarding and Departure times:

So, when you land at JFK, first thing to do is check the Departures board for your next flight. If you want to hang around the gate, nothing wrong with it. If you have more than 45 minutes between flights, explore T5 at JFK. Pretty good food choices, a nice outdoor rooftop space opposite Gate 28. This terminal also has free WiFi and you can usually find a power outlet to recharge if need be. I usually give the Departures board a quick look when I first get off the plane, then check it again ~20 minutes for boarding to confirm.

You'll do fine.

BTW, JetBlue's flight attendants are usually friendly. Don't be shy about asking for snacks. They'll gladly hand out multiple snacks if you ask nicely.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Since the layover at JFK on the way there is only an hour, I'm much better off just hanging around the gate. On the way back, however, there's a 3 hour layover, which then I will likely explore T5 a bit more.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:47 am

Take a look at JFK T5 map now so you are familiar, three wings or concourses of gates. Good signage to the different group of gates.
https://www.jetblue.com/travel/jfk/
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
You'll be fine. Don't overthink it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.