Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

First time flying alone, need help...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time flying alone, need help...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by zhaofa90
You'll be fine. Don't overthink it.
I'll be sure to wear some adult diapers.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
What does everyone think about their Airspace Lounge I just read about? $25 isn't bad for what you get, and I have an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold, so the airline fee credits should reimburse me, right?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
I find the Airspace Lounge a little cramped, both the general seating and the very small business room. But the folks behind the bar do a pretty good job and the small plates they make up are halfway decent. IIRC there's no buffet, you just order from the bartender.

For $25 it might be worth it if you are getting reimbursed by PRG- I think you get a $10 credit for food/beverage. I get in for free with the Amex Platinum so it's definitely worth it. If I didn't get in for free I'd probably skip it- T5 is a really nice terminal with lots of charging stations and great food.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The $100 airline credit for the Amex PRG card is something you have to designate to one airline for the year and applies to expenses charged by the airline such as baggage, change fees, drinks/food on board and lounge passes of airline operated lounges which I don't believe the AirSpace lounge would qualify for as it's not a JetBlue product.

It's not a bad deal if you pay for it anyways as there are ways to recoup the cost by using what the lounge offers you but in general Terminal 5 has plenty to offer to burn some time. The rooftop lounge is nice to get out of the airport without having to do security again and there are many dining options.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
What does everyone think about their Airspace Lounge I just read about? $25 isn't bad for what you get, and I have an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold, so the airline fee credits should reimburse me, right?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: Free agent
I never really find a need for the Airspace Lounge. I would utilize it more if there were any comped benefits for Mosaic.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Pay the $25 for a meal and go sit out on the deck if the weather is nice. Paying $25 for a $10 meal credit isn't a smart value proposition IMO.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Pay the $25 for a meal and go sit out on the deck if the weather is nice. Paying $25 for a $10 meal credit isn't a smart value proposition IMO.
I was thinking about that. Some fresh air would be nice, but NY weather sucks compared to Florida. I do agree with the restaurant idea but I've heard they're more expensive than restaurants at the mall and such.

I was reading reviews on the Air Space lounge and it may only be good for a shower (which I probably won't need) or a private toilet (which I may like).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:44 pm

The full service restaurants can be expensive. There are plenty of $5-15 options in the food court area. And paying that much for toilet access seems even crazier to me than paying $25 for the $10 drinks credit.

You don't have to decide now. When you land coming home walk around and see what suits your fancy. If you want to watch planes land and the winds are in your favor the end of the center pier of the concourse is great. Or the end of the international area (highest gate numbers) is often very quiet to just relax.

Wifi is free in the terminal and there are plenty of options available.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I think participating more on this site and traveling a couple of times a year will allow me to become the experienced traveler I want to be.

I don't mind paying for a full-service restaurant as long as it's not above $30 just for myself, including tip.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If you had previously designated JetBlue as the airline for credit on your Amex PRG card, and if you charged your flight to that card, you should check your Amex statement: you may have already been reimbursed $100 for your airfare!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you had previously designated JetBlue as the airline for credit on your Amex PRG card, and if you charged your flight to that card, you should check your Amex statement: you may have already been reimbursed $100 for your airfare!
Funny part is I applied and was approved for the card a couple of weeks after I bought the ticket; however, the change fee I was charged along with the expedited security at RSW has been reimbursed, and the timing allows for $200/year the first year on the card for airline reimbursement credits. I'm planning to use other credits for my checked bag and fees for whatever I may want to pay for when I'm on the plan, if anything.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by joachimm
I find the Airspace Lounge a little cramped, both the general seating and the very small business room. But the folks behind the bar do a pretty good job and the small plates they make up are halfway decent. IIRC there's no buffet, you just order from the bartender.

For $25 it might be worth it if you are getting reimbursed by PRG- I think you get a $10 credit for food/beverage. I get in for free with the Amex Platinum so it's definitely worth it. If I didn't get in for free I'd probably skip it- T5 is a really nice terminal with lots of charging stations and great food.
The shower is great.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
My own opinion is that the AirSpace lounge isn't worth it if you're paying for it. T5 is pretty great. Lots of options. If I remember there's some excellent cupcakes there in the terminal... and the full service restaurants are decent. Food court is great. From what I recall, T5 is less expensive than the Delta terminal at JFK and the United terminals at Newark, but it's been awhile. Will find out in a few weeks though.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AStarr
My own opinion is that the AirSpace lounge isn't worth it if you're paying for it. T5 is pretty great. Lots of options. If I remember there's some excellent cupcakes there in the terminal... and the full service restaurants are decent. Food court is great. From what I recall, T5 is less expensive than the Delta terminal at JFK and the United terminals at Newark, but it's been awhile. Will find out in a few weeks though.
They really have a large selection of great tasting cupcakes? Wow that is amazing. I'm gonna guess blue frosting.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:04 am

They really have a large selection of great tasting cupcakes? Wow that is amazing. I'm gonna guess blue frosting.
The shop is called Baked by Melissa. They are pricey and also tasty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.