Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Earn miles on JetBlue or add to Hawaiian account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying JetBlue for the first time later this week (PHL-FLL R/T) but do not have a JetBlue Rewards account. In Aug. '15 I flew Hawaiian Airlines and gained 10,400 points . I understand they are partners and am trying to figure out whether I should dedicate the miles I earn on JetBlue to add to my Hawaiian account (I don't plan to fly JetBlue often and do not plan to fly Hawaiian any time in the near future).

It also sounds like I can't transfer my Hawaiian miles to JetBlue because my Hawaiian travel took place over 1 year ago, past the point of transferability.

Should I start a JetBlue account and earn my miles there OR add the miles I earn on my upcoming JetBlue flight later this week to my Hawaiian account, so I'm adding to that account and bring it up to 14k or 15k?

(If it makes any difference, multiply this situation to my wife and 3 kids - we are all in the same situation).

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At best you're going to earn 100% of the distance flown on the B6 flights into the Hawaiian program. That's just under 2,000 r/t per person. And if it is a cheap fare it might only be 50% of that. http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...etail/a_id/548

Crediting to JetBlue you earn based on the fare paid so the numbers are also likely to be low, with the caveat that you can create a family pooling account and put all the TrueBlue points into one bucket. But it'll still likely not be enough for an award. Also, TrueBlue points do not expire.

I'm not a fan of isolating small islands of points just for the sake of trying to earn a bit more here and there. Ultimately getting spread that thin usually works against the main goal of earning enough for an award.

I like the TrueBlue program and some of the partner options (e.g. Amazon) are nice for earning now, even if you don't fly a lot. But if you're never going to get to the few thousand points you need then splitting the pool likely makes little sense.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:53 pm

It depends on how often you fly to Hawaii.

jetblue points don't expire, so as long as your primary airport has some jetblue service, I think it makes sense to get a trueblue account. The point guy valued each jetblue point at over 2 cent from what I remember. That's better than what I get on my AAdvantage mile.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tphuang
The point guy valued each jetblue point at over 2 cent
That is a gross overvaluation. Ballpark should be around 1.5 cents, not 2. Unless you want to buy a bunch of flights to Cuba.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
That is a gross overvaluation. Ballpark should be around 1.5 cents, not 2. Unless you want to buy a bunch of flights to Cuba.
I was completely off. It was actually valued at 1 to 1.4 cent or slightly more depending on the flight.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Susser
I'm flying JetBlue for the first time later this week (PHL-FLL R/T) but do not have a JetBlue Rewards account. In Aug. '15 I flew Hawaiian Airlines and gained 10,400 points. I understand they are partners and am trying to figure out whether I should dedicate the miles I earn on JetBlue to add to my Hawaiian account (I don't plan to fly JetBlue often and do not plan to fly Hawaiian any time in the near future).

<snip>

Should I start a JetBlue account and earn my miles there OR add the miles I earn on my upcoming JetBlue flight later this week to my Hawaiian account, so I'm adding to that account and bring it up to 14k or 15k?
Are your Hawaiian ff miles at risk of expiry? You need eligible activity every 18 months.
Be mindful of expiry http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html

Are you a member of any other ffp?

http://www.wheretocredit.com/jetblue-airways
http://www.wheretocredit.com/hawaiian-airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.