Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Free Checked Bags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Multiple Free Checked Bags

I have the JetBlue Plus credit card. Occasionally I need to check 2 bags, so I figured I could book a Blue Plus fare and get that bag along with the freebie as a credit card holder. I asked JB on Twitter and they confirmed that was the case!

When I went to check in for my flight yesterday, the app tried to charge me $35 for the second bag. I called a CS rep who eventually told me her supervisor said it doesn't work like that (they credited me the $15 additional dollars I spent for the Blue Plus fare).

But now I've heard two different things from different JetBlue sources. Does anyone else have experience with this or know how it works? I'm going to roll the dice again at the airport tonight.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
From the barclaycard terms and conditions. Bolding mine.

Free First Checked Bag

The primary cardmember and up to 3 travel companions on the same reservation who have purchased Blue fares each receive their first checked bag free on JetBlue operated flights. All ticket purchases (original and exchanges) must be made with the JetBlue Plus MasterCard Account and the cardmember’s TrueBlue member number must be entered at the time of booking. Applicable overweight and excess baggage fees will apply. See jetblue.com/travel/baggage/ for more information on JetBlue’s checked baggage policy. For benefit to apply, the Account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, reservation must include the primary cardmember's TrueBlue member number 7 days prior to air travel. If your Account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Eligible JetBlue Plus MasterCard primary cardmembers who have purchased a Blue fare will get their first checked bag free of charge for flights operated by JetBlue that do not include first checked bag free. In addition, up to 3 companions traveling with the eligible primary cardmember who have purchased a Blue fare will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. This benefit will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with a JetBlue flight number but operated by another airline. Waiver of bag fee does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing TrueBlue program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see jetblue.com/travel/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
Although not spelled out clearly enough, it indicates that you can't combine the credit card bag benefit with the blue plus bag.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They do not stack. I can think of no airline program which does. Shame that the agent got it wrong initially, but I'm not surprised that's the way it works.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Makes sense. Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Does an award booking count as a "Blue" fare? I hold the JetBlue Plus card, myself and 3 companions on same PNR used my points for the flight and would like to check a bag each. TIA

ligible JetBlue Plus MasterCard primary cardmembers who have purchased a Blue fare will get their first checked bag free of charge for flights operated by JetBlue that do not include first checked bag free. In addition, up to 3 companions traveling with the eligible primary cardmember who have purchased a Blue fare will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Awards can be booked at any of the tiers; you'll see the price difference in the search results. But the basic version is the "Blue" family so it should work if you book the cheapest one.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Free agent
I've had my girlfriend on my PNR when booking a RT awards flight using Blue fares. Her checked bag was free. It's a great benefit for families and couples.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
When all else fails (if you don't already have a roll-a-board carry-on) is to just bring it through security and gate check it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.