Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B6 and Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
B6 and Cuba

DOT has deferred all applications for future service until a bilateral with Cuba is ironed out.

I don't see a lot of Cubana flights coming our way personally so assuming Open Skies or phased in flight expansion, what will B6 serve?

My predictions by 2020

HAV-JFK/FLL/TPA/MCO
May launch HAV-BOS based on watching flows through the others
VRA-JFK/FLL/seasonal BOS
CCC-JFK/FLL/seasonal BOS
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
JetBlue already flies charters out of FLL and TPA (I think). Between the amount of Cuban expats and since FLL and TPA are already focus cities/hubs for JetBlue I could see them converting those flights to regular commercial.

New York would be tough, but that hasn't stopped JetBlue before. UAL has already announced they will apply for EWR authority, and American already runs charters from JFK, I imagine they'll want to convert that to regular commercial.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
The last time I was in Havana, the number one destination displayed on the departure screen at Jose Marti was Miami. We left on an AA charter. it had a flight number, proper boarding passes, service onboard was normal, and they even had free peanuts. We could have been flying to Tulsa. The only thing unusual was crews were not permitted to deplane in Havana. My point is, there are already many flights in operation every day, flown by regular carriers. I think the FLL flights are largely directed to Gitmo. Switching to scheduled services from public charter will primarily be a paper shuffle. There's already more capacity than they can handle, given the limited hotel situation, which is the big problem in normalizing this traffic flow. By the way, the suggestion by the media that restoring relations will take time is baloney. We have no embassy in Havana, but the so called "US Interests Section" is housed in a very large building, and functions as an embassy in all but name. We have a large diplomatic staff in place, as do the Cubans, in Washington. In addition, dozens of US flights overfly Cuba every day, on their way to the Caribbean. It saves time, and money. The Cubans are paid a fee for each flight. So much for limiting hard currency transactions. This service will be a real money maker. The flight from MIA-HAV is 40 minutes, which should allow an airline like JetBlue to complete a round trip in under 3 hours. Current fares are extortionate, as are baggage fees (ethnic Cubans usually bring large quantities of hard to get commodities). The charters are controlled by a few, well connected operators. They (not the carriers) set artificially low free bag limits, and rack up the excess weight fees. That bunch can be expected to do what it can to slow the process of establishing scheduled services. It's been a sweet deal for them.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by deelmakur
I think the FLL flights are largely directed to Gitmo.

Huh?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can I ask a quick question for you? How long they will be approved? Is the restrictions is lifted? I was hoping they will start Cuba service. They won't have wait for any much longer. Hopefully they will be approved sometimes in a distant future.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Member

Cuban charters leave MIA every day, primarily to Havana and Holguin. Here's a typical offering. If you scroll it, you will see that TSA has actually approved a number of different airports in Cuba. Some of these flights may be offered with B6 as the carrier. The companies bid for them. Departures are displayed on the regular MIA airport monitors:

http://www.airlinebrokers.net/schedule.php

Because of the controversial nature of Guantanamo, flights to the Navy base (code:NBW) operate from Ft. Lauderdale, where they are generally unnoticed. They use an isolated gate, and I don't believe they are posted on any departure screens (be sure to scroll down to see Guantanamo specific services):

http://flyibcair.com/other-destinati...uantanamo-bay/
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Member

From a recent AP article:

U.S. airlines have been quietly dipping their toes in Cuba's warm waters for years.

American Airlines dominates many of the routes to Latin America with its hub in Miami. It's run charters to Cuba for more than 15 years, according to spokeswoman Martha Pantin. It now operates 20 weekly flights from Miami to Havana, Holguin, Santa Clara and Cienfuegos and from Tampa to Havana and Holguin.

JetBlue Airways started flying Cuba charters in September 2011. It's a very small part of the airline's business; just three weekly flights on Airbus A320s with 50 to 80 customers, either to Havana or Santa Clara.

CEO David Barger told The Associated Press last year that the charters are a way of "just understanding what happens, if in fact there's a normalization."

Delta Air Lines, which operated more than 240 charter flights between October 2011 and December 2012, said it has no immediate plans to fly to Cuba. But, spokesman Anthony Black noted that "having served there through our charter operations, the groundwork has been laid for us to possibly serve the market if an opportunity becomes available."
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:05 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Why would they fly the A320s if it's usually "50 to 80 customers"?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Why would they fly the A320s if it's usually "50 to 80 customers"?
Yields may be great.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLIHGH
Yields may be great.
Agreed, and there may be so many checked bags that an E190 would be impractical.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Member

The charter airline gets paid the same, regardless of the load. They are called charters, but they might as well be scheduled. The notion that we have somehow cut Cuba off is phony. There are many direct flights every day. In addition, we have a diplomatic presence that is as large as a normal embassy.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I think DCA-HAV could be a lucrative route as there will be a huge increase in political/governmental traffic once things really open up.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I think DCA-HAV could be a lucrative route as there will be a huge increase in political/governmental traffic once things really open up.
There is no customs in DCA. I think they will be at Dulles instead of DCA.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Member

There are already many daily flights. Here's a selection from just one of several agencies.

http://www.abc-charters.com/pages/flights.asp

Brian Williams did his NBC Nightly News from Havana this week, and marveled that he had actually flown there on AA. The NY Times also did a front page story on the size and scope of the US Interests Section, which is an Embassy in all but name.

With a couple of million Cubans in South Florida, it's likely scheduled services will predominantly be concentrated there, as they are now.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:19 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Cuba flights start Q3 2016

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...ights-50-Years

FLL-Santa Clara (SNU)
FLL - Camaguey (CMW)
FLL- Holguin (HOG)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.