Search

Q3 '14 Profit announced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Q3 '14 Profit announced

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix....cle&ID=1980668

NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 10/23/14 -- JetBlue Airways Corporation (NASDAQ: JBLU) today reported its results for the third quarter 2014:

Operating income of $164 million in the third quarter. This compares to operating income of $152 million in the third quarter of 2013.
Pre-tax income of $132 million in the third quarter. This compares to pre-tax income of $119 million in the third quarter of 2013.
Net income for the third quarter was $79 million, or $0.24 per diluted share. This compares to JetBlue's third quarter 2013 net income of $71 million, or $0.21 per diluted share.

Operational Performance

JetBlue reported record third quarter operating revenues of $1.5 billion. Revenue passenger miles for the third quarter increased 5.9% to 10.1 billion on a capacity increase of 4.5%, resulting in a third quarter load factor of 86.2%, an increase of 1.2 points year over year.

Yield per passenger mile in the third quarter was 13.96 cents, up 0.9% compared to the third quarter of 2013. Passenger revenue per available seat mile (PRASM) for the third quarter 2014 increased 2.4% year over year to 12.03 cents and operating revenue per available seat mile (RASM) increased 1.4% year over year to 13.00 cents.
Nice numbers, though lower PRASM growth than the legacy carriers. Still, a nice bit of profit for JetBlue.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:50 am

Won't be enough for Wall Street though. They are salivating at the thought of all the money in bag fees being left on the table.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeeden
Won't be enough for Wall Street though. They are salivating at the thought of all the money in bag fees being left on the table.
I wonder how the absence of bag fees contributed to RPASM. Maybe just because there are no bag fees, people tend to be willing to pay a bit more for that seat.
With bag fees however, B6 will be much more like the other legacies. And people might be less willing the spend more.

A case of penny wise, pound foolish perhaps?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I prefer, as an investor, to have reasonably paid employees and happy customers--even if it means somewhat lower profits. JetBlue was founded to bring humanity to air travel as they did when the first started and as they are doing now with Mint. Let the other carriers fight each other over how much they can nickle and dime people. That may work for the short term when capacity is tight and there are not a lot of other options in many markets but those conditions won't last forever. Trying to get blood from a stone in a down turn has never worked out well for the legacy carriers.

B6 is taking things one step at a time. T5i will be opening in a few weeks which should improve things at JFK and will not be an ongoing capital expense going forward. Improvements have been made to Boston as well after UA moved out of terminal C. The roll out of Mint to SFO and the increase of flights in the JFK-LAX//JFK-SFO markets should increase yields and profitability.

Will be interesting to hear some of the plans for the future at the investor update next month.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:09 pm

I'm curious to see whether we see any Mint service out of BOS. It'd be an interesting play - we have non-stop legacy service to LAX/SFO, but none of UA/AA/DL are offering that kind of premium product ex-BOS. Maybe the market here doesn't exist for it - who knows - but given the way it's priced, I think it'd be a compelling choice to steal some legacy business here.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It's all a race. Once one carrier starts premium transcon out of BOS, all the others will scramble to follow so that they don't lose market share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.