Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue 1416 LGB-AUS: Emergency Landing at LGB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue 1416 LGB-AUS: Emergency Landing at LGB

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1945476

This is serious smoke based on the pictures. I would go ballistic when I hear the Captain cancelled emergency evac. This is totally irresponsible of the Captain. Just because you don't see fire blazing outside the engines doesn't mean there aren't any fires. Wasn't there a Middle Eastern airline a few years back landed without incident and the Captain also didn't order evac thinking the issue is minor, only to have fire consumed the plane in a matter of seconds and almost everyone died. With smoke and fire you always err on the side of caution.
I think you are recalling British Airtours 28M - 1985. It was a 737 departing MAN. Today most reports say that there was "confusion" but at the time it was reported that the FA's asked the captain whether to evacuate and were told not to evacuate (the flight crew thought they had a tire problem and were apparently unaware that the aircraft was on fire). The delay in evacuation was a factor in the number of deaths.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Where is it reported that the Capt canceled the emergency evac? I'm not seeing it mentioned in the linked story.
Of course not, because it would have required CNN to do some actual reporting (which I used to think journalists should do).

On the ATC Recording, the pilot asks the tower if any smoke is coming out of the engine. Tower says no, and pilot says something to the effect of ok we're going to cancel the evacuation. Tower comes back and says people are already coming down the slide at the rear of the airplane.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Wasn't there another Airbus 320 which recently had an engine failure. I forget where but I do remember the report. Should I rethink about boarding another A320?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by gooseman13
The CNN article is trash (not surprising for CNN). They quote someone as saying smoke was so thick that he couldnt see the person next to him and was wondering when accident masks would be deployed. I saw a video from inside the cabin after masks were deployed with at least 4 rows ahead visible. Guy taking the video was smiling and waving at the camera.
+1
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by duniawala
Wasn't there another Airbus 320 which recently had an engine failure. I forget where but I do remember the report. Should I rethink about boarding another A320?
Since it was an engine failure a more logical (although equally irrational) choice would be to avoid boarding any of the other aircraft that use the same engine family (which covers many more aircraft than the A320).
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by JW76
This could have ended terribly for everyone, with what appears to be a failure at (or near) the most critical moment during takeoff... but thankfully the pilot and crew and a well designed aircraft held it together and there were no injuries.
absolutely +1 ^
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:28 pm

Contrary to what some have posted, the engine failure did not occur at the most critical point. Instead, it occurred in the climb which is much different than had it happened on the takeoff roll (i.e. V1 cut).

Additionally, I wouldn't hastily pass judgement about what the captain should or should not have done. Keep in mind that passengers often sustain injuries during evacuations, so if the flight crew determines that an evacuation is not necessary, why risk injury? I don't know all the circumstances surrounding this incident, so I'm just saying that people shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Furthermore, I hate how the media (and uninformed people) keep saying that an engine exploded (implying an uncontained engine failure that would involve a fan/turbine/compressor blade separation that passes through the engine cowling). If the engine had truly exploded, they would have had much bigger issues.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by stablemate
the thing I find hard to understand is how an engine fire can put smoke inside cabin.....thought the captian just turns off engine...... is another part of story some where?
The cabin pressure is provided by the engines via bleed air.

This emergency landing rippled through their system. My flight from SMF to LGB departed nearly four hours late last night.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Where is it reported that the Capt canceled the emergency evac? I'm not seeing it mentioned in the linked story.
Of course not, because it would have required CNN to do some actual reporting (which I used to think journalists should do).

On the ATC Recording, the pilot asks the tower if any smoke is coming out of the engine. Tower says no, and pilot says something to the effect of ok we're going to cancel the evacuation. Tower comes back and says people are already coming down the slide at the rear of the airplane.
Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1945476

This is serious smoke based on the pictures. I would go ballistic when I hear the Captain cancelled emergency evac. This is totally irresponsible of the Captain. Just because you don't see fire blazing outside the engines doesn't mean there aren't any fires. Wasn't there a Middle Eastern airline a few years back landed without incident and the Captain also didn't order evac thinking the issue is minor, only to have fire consumed the plane in a matter of seconds and almost everyone died. With smoke and fire you always err on the side of caution.
You must not have ever seen serious smoke. In the accident you mentioned, everyone on the plane died from smoke and not fire. The plane was already in fire while in the air.
This isn't an engine failure, this is an engine fire. Engine failure doesn't kill you, fire and smoke will. No plan is design to safely fly with smoke and fires
Were there any reports/pictures of the engine on fire? The pilots simply got an overheating warning. There were reports of an engine blowing, but no reports of the plane flying with an engine that was on fire.
The Captain was reckless to cancel emergency evac. I know some of you will replied nothing happen, but you always err on caution when it comes to smoke and fires.
I'm not sure why you feel the captain was reckless. Using the emergency slides almost always results in injuries. Bringing air stairs to the plane would have worked perfectly fine.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by stablemate
the thing I find hard to understand is how an engine fire can put smoke inside cabin.....thought the captian just turns off engine...... is another part of story some where?
See "bleed air." The "smoke" being reported may be oil or hydraulic fluid heated past its normal operating temperature and drawn into the cabin.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
No one can tell the pax what nasties are in the smoke in the plane, four rows of visibility or not. Plus you have the oxygen masks deployed in a potential fire situation. In such a situation I'm headed as fast as I can for the exit - I'll take my chances on an evac injury over just sitting there and hoping a sudden fire doesn't break out.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:20 pm

Maybe this debris will help. http://ktla.com/2014/09/19/faa-to-in...in-long-beach/
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
No one can tell the pax what nasties are in the smoke in the plane, four rows of visibility or not. Plus you have the oxygen masks deployed in a potential fire situation. In such a situation I'm headed as fast as I can for the exit - I'll take my chances on an evac injury over just sitting there and hoping a sudden fire doesn't break out.
Even if the crew says you're not evacuating? What if there's something else going on that you're not aware of?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by mr27
The part shown in the local news piece is part of the nacelle's latching mechanism. Not sure what events could follow if a latch failed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.