Wiki Posts
Search

FlyFi is Flying!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

FlyFi is Flying!!

Looks like today is the first day they have the service on for passengers to try out. Nothing formally announced but I saw some tweets earlier from a passenger using it and the @JetBlue twitter account confirmed for me a few minutes ago that my flight to Florida this evening will have it on as well.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Awesome! I think there are 3 planes with the capability as of now!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:06 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I hope one of those planes is doing BOS/LGB later this week. And the other way back, too!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Brigri
Awesome! I think there are 3 planes with the capability as of now!
there are 8 320s equipped. how many they'll turn on while in this first phase is one thing but as of a couple weeks ago there are 8
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by cleanfloor
there are 8 320s equipped. how many they'll turn on while in this first phase is one thing but as of a couple weeks ago there are 8
Thanks! Is there a way we can get the tail numbers?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brigri
Thanks! Is there a way we can get the tail numbers?
N534JB is the plane I was on last night; it is the only one active AFAIK. Once they iron out the kinks they'll be ready to flip the switch and have lots ready all at once.

Here's my review of Fly-Fi and also one from engadget which was on the AUS turn yesterday morning.

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I hope one of those planes is doing BOS/LGB later this week. And the other way back, too!
Almost certainly not going to happen. Sorry.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Ah well, guess I'll just have to watch TV and hope to see something with a theme song written by Jim Webb or Francis Scott Key, or sung by Glen Campbell, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash or Englebert Humperdink.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I'm sitting across the aisle from sbm12 (waving) and sharing my review from the flight as well.

JetBlue Fly-Fi In-flight Wi-Fi – Review and First Look

SOMEWHERE OVER NEW ENGLAND—My first in-flight Internet experience goes back roughly nine years to a Lufthansa flight and the German flag carrier’s FlyNet system, which was using Boeing’s groundbreaking but ill-fated Connexion by Boeing technology.

While Connexion by Boeing shut down at the end of 2006, other companies stepped in to fill the void.

American Airlines became the first U.S. airline to offer domestic Wi-Fi, back in 2008.

Now JetBlue is launching its Fly-Fi service and this review is being written (and published) from the inaugural flight. Fly-Fi offers free basic low-bandwidth Internet to all passengers and optional high-speed Internet for $9.95 per hour….

<SNIP>
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Currently 2 aircraft are outfitted with Fly-Fi N804JB and N534JB. 5 to 6 more aircraft with be outfitted by the end of the year and up to 10 a month in 2014. Simply Surf, the basic offering, is free until June 2014 or Fly-Fi Plus is available for $9 per hour.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Currently 2 aircraft are outfitted with Fly-Fi N804JB and N534JB. 5 to 6 more aircraft with be outfitted by the end of the year and up to 10 a month in 2014. Simply Surf, the basic offering, is free until June 2014 or Fly-Fi Plus is available for $9 per hour.
The company line is 3 equipped and a 4th this weekend. There will be 5 by EoY and then 10-15/month through 2014. They expect to have the Airbus fleet complete next year and the Embraer fleet in 2015.

http://twitter.com/Jazzap/status/410903926947315712

@ZachHonig We start tmrw with • BOS – FLL Ft 569, JFK – MCO Ft 1783, JFK – AUS Flight 795. 4th #FlyFi a/c joins fleet this weekend

It is smoking fast. Seriously a game-changer in the market for in-flight connectivity.

Also, <wave> back to jspira.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 am

Fly-Fi tracking page is up

https://www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jetblue/wifi/

Use this link to track which aircraft have Fly-Fi installed. The Jetblue blog will also have flight number specific updates nightly.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:44 pm

Why does this not work outside of the US if it's satellite???
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by aviators99
If the satellite is geosynchronous over the US, it might not have visibility of the plane outside of a certain range.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
If the satellite is geosynchronous over the US, it might not have visibility of the plane outside of a certain range.
Correct. It is based on geosynchronous satellite service, similar to many other communications systems. That means there is not global coverage. A second satellite is expected to launch in 2016 which will increase coverage over LatAm and the Caribbean.

Ku-based satellites (used by Row44 and GoGo's non-ATG services) are also geosynchronous but there are more in the sky right now so, assuming the provider leases time/bandwidth from more than one, it is a bit easier to have broader coverage, though that bandwidth is more expensive than Ka's version.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
BlueTales is updating it's blog daily with routes the FlyFi planes are flying:
http://bit.ly/FlyFiRoutes

How can we start tracking the fleet upgrades?
Maybe we could do a Public Google Doc to track the progress?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.