Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Sliding door suites coming to JetBlue!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior...divider-a321s/

Airbus has an FAA filing out there detailing the cabin config of at least some of the new A321s coming online. Included in the filing:
The Business Class includes 4 single seats that are ‘mini-suites’ types. These mini-suites consist in a seat with surrounding furniture’s, intending to provide privacy to the occupants. Typically, the complete closure of the single mini-suites is possible by means of a sliding element, moving parallel to the aircraft longitudinal axis.
JetBlue has confirmed that the layout is accurate, though they are holding back on the full product details for now.

This should be very, very interesting to see in the market.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
Alright... I may not post here that much, but I know B6 well. I fly them three dozen times per year and have over a half dozen friends who work for them in various capacities.

There is no way in hell that quote fits their market. I can definitely see them doing a business class cabin on the A321... but a mini suite? Really? I mean, c'mon. This is so far out in left field it is almost silly.

Even if they're expanding ... and even if they want to take on the legacy carriers ... and even if they're doing the JFK-SFO/LAX routes ... there is no inherent need for a "suite" type product.

I'm sorry. I won't believe a single word until I see pictures of an actual cabin.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MPScan
I'm sorry. I won't believe a single word until I see pictures of an actual cabin.
I had similar feelings. But I got an official statement from the company confirming that it is accurate:
Thirteen years ago JetBlue revolutionized the economy experience and we will do the same with premium transcon. Our new onboard experience will enable us to compete with other airlines’ premium transcon products. While the FAA filing from Airbus contains the technical specifications as part of the certification process, all of the details including the branding and full experience will be revealed later this year.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm still trying to figure this out, They are going to have 16 seat business class cabin and 4 of them will be much nicer than the other 12? How would they decide who gets the best ones. I guess we will find out soon.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
How would they decide who gets the best ones.
Cold hard cash, is my guess.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Cold hard cash, is my guess.
It would make more sense to sell it as a three cabin flight
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sbm12
I had similar feelings. But I got an official statement from the company confirming that it is accurate:
Your blog's picture of you relaxing in a "suite" with a closing door shows that you anticipated this development by several years!

Last edited by nsx; Jun 10, 2013 at 9:07 pm Reason: added image
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Wow... that's.... different. Very curious what type of pricing they're expecting.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
When I first read this I had to go back and re-read it. But let's remember, B6 was the first with live TV when they started. This could be a game-changer, we shall see.

Also add in broadband wi-fi, might have a compelling product.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very surprised and intrigued by this. It seems to be such a radical departure from the airline's identity to date. But hey, if it's good in and of itself and provides more competition for the three-way legacy oligopoly (not sure whether to include Southwest in that regard), more power to JetBlue. I'll definitely check it out in terms of scheduling, pricing, etc. With UA going downhill and the AA/US merger offering the prospect of that airline doing the same, this change could make JetBlue very appealing to lots of passengers who've only flown it sporadically or not at all.

Wonder if there will be any ramifications in terms of the FF program, re upgrades or whatever.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It is not all that radical a departure as the rest of the cabin will still be spacious so everybody wins. Remember that a premium passenger coming in from Emirates that may stop in NYC and continue to LAX/SFO will now have a partner option to take. EK will also be flying JFK to MXP so they can now sell one stop service from California to MXP using the two way jetBlue code share and have a good product for the domestic connection for F/J/Y passengers. Going from an Emirates suite to a coach seat would have been a much harder sell. Limiting the number to 4 also makes sense as it only takes a few connecting or O/D passengers to fill them. This allows B6 to ramp up further international partnerships to offer premium connections through JFK to the rest of the world.

Looking to forward to see the official announcement later in the year.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Good point re EK. I hadn't realized that that the two airlines had any kind of partnership. I wonder if, along with other things to wonder about, this move could indicate or lead to additional international partnerships.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It is not all that radical a departure as the rest of the cabin will still be spacious so everybody wins. Remember that a premium passenger coming in from Emirates that may stop in NYC and continue to LAX/SFO will now have a partner option to take. EK will also be flying JFK to MXP so they can now sell one stop service from California to MXP using the two way jetBlue code share and have a good product for the domestic connection for F/J/Y passengers. Going from an Emirates suite to a coach seat would have been a much harder sell. Limiting the number to 4 also makes sense as it only takes a few connecting or O/D passengers to fill them. This allows B6 to ramp up further international partnerships to offer premium connections through JFK to the rest of the world.

This will definitely help with LH/SQ/CX connections too!

Will they stick to transcon-only for this (BOS/JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA/SAN)? Would they put this on 5-6 hour flights out of FLL/JFK/BOS than tend to lean a bit VFR/leisure?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

nonsense!! Who in there right mind would want to make a stop at JFK on there way from DXB to SFO/LAX when they can go non stop from the middle east on a spacious 777 or 380? No need to pile into a small, cramped A321.... Also, lets wait to see how well JFK to MXP does. I'd say it will work out just about as lousy as JFK to HAM did.

This can and probably will be just about as big of a bust as when DL tried to mimic Jetblue with Song.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They would sacrifice four FC seats to get those four suites. Can they consistently sell them at twice the price of FC, even more if the suites get enhanced service/F&B?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.