Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

How to extend or use JetBlue Points w/no flights planned until expiration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm not that familiar w/JetBlue Points. It seems from the T&C's that the only way to extend the points is to fly somewhere on JetBlue thereby adding points to your account or using a JetBlue credit card to add points.

I don't have a JetBlue credit card & don't have any flights planned prior to expiration in April. I have about 60,000 JetBlue points.

Is there any other way of extending the points?
If not, is there a JetBlue catalog I can purchase items from with JetBlue Points? Can I sell the points or tickets booked with the points?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hofu
Is there any other way of extending the points?
No.
If not, is there a JetBlue catalog I can purchase items from with JetBlue Points?
No.
Can I sell the points or tickets booked with the points?
Not legitimately, per the T&C of the program.

You only have to issue the ticket by the expiry date; the travel date can be later. That might work for you. Otherwise you need to take a flight or apply for the CC to get them extended.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
No.
No.
Not legitimately, per the T&C of the program.

You only have to issue the ticket by the expiry date; the travel date can be later. That might work for you. Otherwise you need to take a flight or apply for the CC to get them extended.
Thanks for the thorough & concise response.
I didn't realize the ticket can be used post expiration date as long as it's booked pre expiration date. That's some good stuff. Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:48 am

Just keep in mind that if you issue the ticket for after the expiry date and then you decide to not take the trip you cannot cancel and get the points back. They will simply disappear as expired at that point.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:11 am
Suspended

Why not take a cheap LGB-LAS flight to keep the points from expiring?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you use ShopTrue to purchase something you can earn points. Won't that extend the life of ones TB points?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by JBLU421NYC
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you use ShopTrue to purchase something you can earn points. Won't that extend the life of ones TB points?
Nope. They said they'd "look in to it" but it never happened.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Today I received an e-mail from JetBlue with subject "Earn up to 50,000 TrueBlue Bonus Points" Clicking on it sent me to:

https://trueblue.jetblue.com/web/tru...&ed_mid=226611

Seems you can register to get TrueBlue Points instead of Marriott points.
I wonder if a "qualifying charge" can be anything other than a room night? For example a meal at a Marriott restaurant, etc. What do you think?
Here are details:
----------
Base Earning Structure
One (1) TrueBlue point per US $1 spent on all qualifying charges:
JW Marriott®
Autograph Collection®
Renaissance® Hotels
Marriott® Hotels & Resorts
Marriott Vacation Club®
One (1) TrueBlue point per US $1 spent on room rate only:
The Ritz-Carlton®
EDITION SM
One (1) TrueBlue point per $2 US spent on room rate only at the following brands:
Courtyard by Marriott®
AC Hotels by Marriott®
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®
SpringHill Suites by Marriott®
Residence Inn by Marriott®
TownePlace Suites by Marriott®
Marriott Executive Apartments®
-----------
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
I wonder if a "qualifying charge" can be anything other than a room night? For example a meal at a Marriott restaurant, etc. What do you think?
Will only work if the "qualifying charge" is paid for w/ B6 Amex. Unfortunately nothing else will work.

I also uncovered (big thumbs down, B6), that the points must POST by the expiry date to reset the clock. A flight on Jan. 31st won't help if your expiry date is Feb. 1 as by the time the flight posts, the points in ones account will have expired.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by bosnyc
Will only work if the "qualifying charge" is paid for w/ B6 Amex. Unfortunately nothing else will work.

I also uncovered (big thumbs down, B6), that the points must POST by the expiry date to reset the clock. A flight on Jan. 31st won't help if your expiry date is Feb. 1 as by the time the flight posts, the points in ones account will have expired.
The flights can take up to a week to post, I find. Amex points post usually a day or two following your statement, but you're always a month behind. The first cycle requires two months before you see any transfer.

I think sbm12's suggestion to book a future trip is the best one. The OP has enough value in points that I wouldn't want to simply throw it away.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:13 pm

Play travel agent for a week and book TrueBlue flights for others using your points... def. don't let them go to waste. That's a lot of TB points.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Enroll in Laithwaites Wine to earn JetBlue Miles & extend? Nope!

Well all the research has been done & it's very clear there are only 2 ways to extend TrueBlue Points: (1) Using the JetBlue Card account for eligible purchases or (2) flying on a revenue JetBlue flight.

I thought I hit a gold mine when last week I received solicitation in the mail from JetBlue for scubscription to Laithwaites Wine that earns JetBlue miles! Oh boy, spend $70, get 15 bottles of wine & TrueBlue points that would extend my current miles! Wow, that would be great....until I called JetBlue & learned that buying wine or anything from their website w/TrueBlue miles only adds miles to the account but does nothing to extend the expiration.

However, the CSR did state that I can book travel for others.....so that opens up a whole bunch of $ possibilities...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:31 pm

However, the CSR did state that I can book travel for others.....so that opens up a whole bunch of $ possibilities...
Just keep in mind that technically you're not permitted to sell or barter the tickets you book for others. If you get caught they can refuse travel on the tickets and close your account. The latter isn't such a big deal if you're closing it down anyways, but the former could be an issue.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Just keep in mind that technically you're not permitted to sell or barter the tickets you book for others. If you get caught they can refuse travel on the tickets and close your account. The latter isn't such a big deal if you're closing it down anyways, but the former could be an issue.
Absolutely, fully understood.
I appreciate your comment. Thank you.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: marriott
Lost points

Does anyone know how to renew expired TrueBlue points?

I wrote to the CEO, David Barger and a customer rep wrote saying points expire after 1 year, without any exception.

2/08/2012

David Barger
Chief Executive Officer
JetBlue Airways
118-29 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Dear Mr. David Barger

I am requesting a second chance. The request is to have my
15,251 TrueBlue points be reinstated. It was my fault, I confused the one year expiration date from last activity date which was 2/12/11 not the last date of use which was 10/24/2010. I called JetBlue consumer services on
1/24/12 to find out why my points expired before 2/12/11 and told of my error. When I came home from Florida, I looked for the letter I received from Kris (24592) which notified me of reinstatement of points me and my wife Cathy's TrueBlue points. I see my error in dates listed in her letter.
Kris did state in the letter that as long as I use my JetBlue American Express card or fly at least once prior to my expiration date my points will never expire.

That was my plan to obtain a JetBlue Card from American Express if I was not able fly before the year was up. Only problem I got dates confused. I promise I will obtain JetBlue American Express as soon as the points are in my account. I will not to wait 11 months like last time.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.