Wiki Posts
Search

Melon soda

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Melon soda

Hi all,

I just spent a week in Tokyo last week ... it was my first visit and I loved every minute of it! I can't wait to go again.

While I was there, we popped into a joint called "Mos Burger". I guess it's a fairly popular chain from what I hear. While I was there, I ordered what was listed as a "melon soda". It was a bright green concoction, and it was pretty darn tasty.

Do any of you know if that melon soda was an in-house creation, or is it a regularly distributed soft drink over there? Is it possible to find it in the US?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:38 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Melon soda is pretty common in Japan... you can find it in vending machines, convenience stores, etc.

Mountain Dew was selling it in the southeastern US a couple of years back, before they put out their orange and red varieties. I think this was an experiment, as I don't recall ever seeing it outside the Carolinas.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
Do any of you know if that melon soda was an in-house creation, or is it a regularly distributed soft drink over there? Is it possible to find it in the US?
No. no. It's been around for a very long time, might even date back to before the war, certainly been popular since the 50s.

Practically every soft drinks company has their own version (there's even been a a few Fanta versions - watermelon, cantaloupe, green melon, you name it) and there's also cream melon sodas available.

Best way to experience melon soda is on a very hot day with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on the top (it's the only way I'll touch the stuff - works much better as a junky, but refreshing dessert than as a beverage IMO - my Japanese husband loves melon soda and has been sharing ice cream floats with his grandmother since childhood)

Next time you're in Japan, look at the vending machines more closely, you'll find lots of varieties of this popular drink.

If you can find Japanese stores near you - it's possible you might find it in a refrigerator somewhere, especially once the summer is in full swing.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Hey where is Mosburger going to chime in on this subject?

Melon soda is good. I see it here in Taiwan as well.

I have never seen it outside of Asia though.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
... Do any of you know if that melon soda was an in-house creation, or is it a regularly distributed soft drink over there? Is it possible to find it in the US?
In addition to their more well-known lemon (ramune) soda, the Japanese brand Ramune also makes a nice melon soda. I have occasionally been able to find it in Japanese or Asian groceries or on-line from sources like Maruwa.com. It is not always available, but once in a while you can find it. A plus is the cool bottle they use with a marble "cap" that you punch down into the bottle to open.

JR
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:57 pm
Yub

Here's a link to the Fanta Melon Soda Original web page: http://www.cocacola.co.jp/7andifanta/index_f.html.

There is also a Fanta Melon Cream Soda, which is clear and doesn't taste quite as good....
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: NW
I treat myself to one out of the international foods aisle in the local grocery store once in a while. Don't know the brand, but it comes in an aluminum "bottle".
Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:22 pm

Another popular brand that seems to be everywhere in Japan is "Pocari Sweat." Anyone tried it?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Originally Posted by FTraveler
Another popular brand that seems to be everywhere in Japan is "Pocari Sweat." Anyone tried it?
I have, so many times that I lost count after the tenth bottle.

Sanosuke!
Old Apr 28, 2007, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTraveler
You might as well ask if anyone has tried Canadian Dry in Canada!!! (Which goes extremely well with Thai food I've discovered - thanks Ontario!)

Pocari Sweat is probably the best known of the isotonic drinks amongst foreigners (I think it has something to do with the name...), but there's also Suntory's Dakara, DyDo is bringing out Miu - made with deep sea water... mmmm! Thirst quenching!
And there are loads of other similar drinks by various companies that come and go. Aquarius by Coca-cola is easily available and is pretty similar (not as nice as PS though, IMO)

I probably like PS best, and like to alternate between bottles of this, cold green tea (oicha) and water on hot days.

I'm also very fond of Calpis (marketed as Calpico outside of Japan) and really enjoy a bottle of hot steaming calpis on a chilly day.
Also, when I was a child, Calpis was supporting and sponsoring my favourite cartoons (Heidi and Marco) so my feelings for this company are as warm as their winter lemon product can be.

Perhaps you'd like to try vitamin-in - comes in a plastic 'foil' pack and gives you the sensation you're drinking frog-spawn through a straw. Quite nice when you're in the mood for it!
Old Apr 28, 2007, 4:56 pm

Look for "Sangaria Melon Soda" here in the states. Sangaria is same company that makes ramune sold here in the states, so if you can find ramune you can probably find the Melon Soda at your Japanese/Asian grocery store.

Like this below:
http://www.wizzywig.com/xcart/produc...roductid=41695

It's clear - has no color. If you want the "cream soda" taste and look from Japan, need to add a little bit of green food coloring and vanilla ice cream.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:06 am

Your thread brings back memories of my quest on Flyertalk to find Fanta Melon Soda:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424100

I actually received no replies, and there is some useful information listed in this thread. Most Japanese markets will have melon soda, just not the exact kind you are looking for.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J0HN
Your thread brings back memories of my quest on Flyertalk to find Fanta Melon Soda:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424100

I actually received no replies, and there is some useful information listed in this thread. Most Japanese markets will have melon soda, just not the exact kind you are looking for.
I completely missed that one - sorry! But to be fair, I would have had no idea how to answer it.

If you're in the US, specific questions like that are usually best asked in the Dining Buzz forum (which is pretty much biased to discussion on restaurant chains and food products in the US ) or in a particular country or area forum - such as my recent quest to find Mexican Cholula sauce - where I got some incredibly useful and specific advice... in the London Forum.

I don't believe I would have gotten such helpful answers in the 'Mexico' forum.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Melon soda is the best. You can find a couple of varieties at Oriental food stores, but it's not as ubiquitous as ramune or Calpis. The Fanta Fresh Peach that they've run as a special flavor a couple of years is also amazing stuff, but I've never seen any of it either.
Old May 5, 2007, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sorro
The Fanta Fresh Peach that they've run as a special flavor a couple of years is also amazing stuff, but I've never seen any of it either.
This link may help explain why there are so many versions of Fanta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-10zjT4OLE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.