Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I have no objections with that, I would activate the Pass on day Three, leaving the first two days with single fare tickets, but if you get the NEX-SUICA I think it works out pretty well.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:09 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Thanks for all of the additional input.

I know "Shin-" means "new," and is not meant to indicate shinkansen.....
Break sown the word

shin=NEW
kan=TRUNK
sen=ROUTE/LINE

So the original Tokkaido Line was the main trunk line from Tokyo-Kansai area....the Shinkansen was the new one.

If you are on the Yamanote Line...if you listen in Japanese, it is Yamanote Sen -
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:54 pm

Nozomi with JR Rail Pass

Although JR Rail pass is said to be only for Hikari/Kodama Shinkansen trains, I always thought that one could use the JR Rail Pass for Nozomi Shinkansen trains as long as one pays the difference. Is this the case? Anyone tried?

(Tokyo to Shin-Osaka)
Nozomi: 14,050 yen
Hikari/Kodama: 13,750 yen

The price is only slightly different also.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yoichi00
I always thought that one could use the JR Rail Pass for Nozomi Shinkansen trains as long as one pays the difference. Is this the case?
No, that's wrong.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en008.html

9. The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on "NOZOMI" trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines. If you use a "NOZOMI," you must pay the basic fare and the limited express charge, and for a Green Car the Green Car surcharge.
With that said, not all JR staff are familiar with all passes or procedures. Also I remember using the JR Pass, the only time I had to show it was when entering and exiting the stations when riding Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen, other then just showing my seat reservation when seating in the reserved section, I don't recall the pass ever being checked on board, though YMMV.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:11 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en008.html

With that said, not all JR staff are familiar with all passes or procedures. Also I remember using the JR Pass, the only time I had to show it was when entering and exiting the stations when riding Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen, other then just showing my seat reservation when seating in the reserved section, I don't recall the pass ever being checked on board, though YMMV.
But they certainly check the pass when they make the seat reservation and I doubt that any JR ticket agent -- who ARE very familiar with all passes and procedures -- would give you that Nozomi seat reservation ticket.

And if you rode in the unreserved Nozomi seats, then they would have to check for a ticket, which you wouldn't have.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
As other has said, NO you cannot travel on an Nozomi train when holding a JR Rail Pass (Except JR West Sanyo Pass which allows you to ride on Nozomi between Shin-Osaka and Hakata)

FYI if you looking for Nozomi travel plus hotel somewhere, and won't mind early departures, JTB has some nice package for them http://www.jtb-sunrisetours.jp/JTB.S...r_shinkansen09

If you read Japanese version of it you should able to find that it also applies to extreme late departures. http://www.jtb.co.jp/
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've been on the unreserved sectons of Hikari and Kodama Shinkansens and don't ever recall having tickets checked in the unreserved section. Not sure if the procedure is different on the Nozomi.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
don't ever recall having tickets checked in the unreserved section.
I'm pretty sure I've had to produce a ticket for a conductor in unreserved cars on Hikaris and Nozomis. Can't recall when I was last in an unreserved car on a Kodama... can't recall when I was last on a Kodama, for that matter.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jib71
... I've had to produce a ticket for a conductor in unreserved cars on Hikaris and Nozomis. ...
+1.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me too, I've even been checked under the new system when sitting in a seat other than my reserved seat.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Maybe I just look like a trustworthy person
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by liltrouble
My girlfriend and I are going to Japan for 9 days. We will be in tokyo for the first 4 then Kyoto for 4 and Tokyo for 1. I am trying to figure out if buying the Rail Pass for 7 days is the best thing to do, since we could just get daily passes in the city and then pay the RT to Tokyo-Kyoto. I cant find a price for the Tokyo-Kyoto part and am not sure if the Rail pass would be good for use just going around Tokyo or Kyoto.
A round trip ticket even by Nozomi comes out to just under the price of a JR Rail Pass (about 13500 each way/ or about 27000 r/t). The JR Pass is 28300 yen for ordinary.

However, if you combine it with some JR Transport in Tokyo, or back to Narita or out of Kyoto (to Nara/Osaka etc etc). The JR pass is certainly worth it.

The JR Pass isn't that useful in Kyoto itself (city bus and subway not valid with JR Pass), so you would still have to purchase a seperate city pass for that, but as mentioned above the JR pass can pay itself off.
Other limitations include not being able to use Nozomi Shinkansen but Hikari/Kodaka, however the Pass I think if you get it would save you some yen in transportation.
I think you mean activate it before leaving Tokyo. If you are coming in late march or after March, you can take advantage of the new Suica-Nex combo (see other thread), so you can ride into Tokyo for 1500 yen on the NEX and have 2000yen on your Suica card to ride around until you activate your JR Pass for the rest of your trip into Kyoto and back to Tokyo and back to NRT.
I'm almost in the same situation as liltrouble. My family of 5 (all adults/teens) will be in Japan for 8 days - 1 in Tokyo, 5 in Nara, and 2 in Tokyo. It seems to be a toss up whether to get a JR Pass or not. I see my options as:
  • The fare from Shinjuku to Nara return is 28,500 yen (with reserved seat on the Nozomi), and I can get a Suica-NEX round-trip combo for 5,500 yen.
    Total: 34,000 yen.
  • If I don't take the Nozomi, and don't reserve a seat, the round-trip to Nara is 26,480 yen.
    Total: 31,980 yen.
  • The JR Pass is 28,300 yen, and I would still need a Suica-NEX one-way combo for 3,500 yen (the pass is only good for seven days).
    Total: 31,800 yen.

I don't see a wise choice in all of this... any suggestions?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
... I don't see a wise choice in all of this... any suggestions?
I think you are forgetting the trip back out to NRT at the end of your stay. Assuming you use the N'Ex+Suica for the trip into the city upon arrival and only activate your JR Passes to start on the day you move to Nara, it seems your 7th day would be the departure day and the Pass would cover the N'Ex to the airport. Additionally, do you foresee any train travel during your stay? Perhaps Nara-Kyoto-Nara or Nara-Osaka-Nara or even Nara-Horyuji-Nara? How about a day trip out of Nara to Hikone Castle or Hiroshima or Koya-san? All of those would be free with the Rail Pass, as would any surface trains in/around Tokyo that last couple of days, such as the Yamanote Loop Line.

The initial expense is high for the Rail Pass but in your case, it looks like a slight total savings or maybe an even-trade wash. If it is just even, you still come out ahead just on the convenience factor.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I think you are forgetting the trip back out to NRT at the end of your stay. Assuming you use the N'Ex+Suica for the trip into the city upon arrival and only activate your JR Passes to start on the day you move to Nara, it seems your 7th day would be the departure day and the Pass would cover the N'Ex to the airport. Additionally, do you foresee any train travel during your stay? Perhaps Nara-Kyoto-Nara or Nara-Osaka-Nara or even Nara-Horyuji-Nara? How about a day trip out of Nara to Hikone Castle or Hiroshima or Koya-san? All of those would be free with the Rail Pass, as would any surface trains in/around Tokyo that last couple of days, such as the Yamanote Loop Line.

The initial expense is high for the Rail Pass but in your case, it looks like a slight total savings or maybe an even-trade wash. If it is just even, you still come out ahead just on the convenience factor.
Thanks. You confirmed my thoughts - it's a wash. It seems odd to me that the return trip (only two days out of seven, and only covering a fraction of the country) is as expensive as a seven day unlimited travel Rail Pass.

I wasn't forgetting the return trip to the airport - that is why I had added a return NEX to the individual tickets to/from Nara, but only a one-way NEX incombination with the Rail Pass options outlined above.

The opportunity to make a run into Kyoto while in Nara gives a slight edge to the Rail Pass option. I'll go with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.