Wiki Posts
Search

Good hotel recommendations for Kyoto?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Good hotel recommendations for Kyoto?

Hi FT,

My wife and I want to stay in Kyoto for most of the time we are in Japan in late November. Any recommendations for excellent hotels?

We're covered on Osaka and Tokyo with our Hilton/Accor status
Old May 13, 2012, 8:02 am
Suspended

If US programs are what you are looking for the only 3 I know of are 1- Westin Mayako (SPG), 2- ANA (Priority Club) , 3- Best Westerns

If you arent a member of these and dont have the pts you can always try and do an exchange on CC, thats once you get enough posts and time on FT . CC = coupon connection which at 45 posts isnt visible to you as of yet

I completely forgot about the Hyatt, thanks RTW1 for catching that

Last edited by craz; May 13, 2012 at 1:35 pm
Old May 13, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Have you already searched this forum for threads with kyoto hotel in the title? Many excellent suggestions have already been made.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Like in most city's it depends on your budget.... Kyoto is not exactly cheap.

For me the most convenient hotel is the Granvia Kyoto. Located in the station building it's very easy to travel to all the sights by subway, bus and taxi. But I also like the Hyatt.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Jerichohill
We're covered on Osaka and Tokyo with our Hilton/Accor status
If you've made reservations at the Osaka Hilton, you could use that as your base for the region. The trip to Kyoto is a 30 minute train ride from Osaka Station (right in front of the Hilton).
Old May 13, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Hyatt or the Westin are probably the best western style hotels.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Hyatt or the Westin are probably the best western style hotels.
That's very helpful, thanks! Probably thinking Hyatt

Originally Posted by jib71
If you've made reservations at the Osaka Hilton, you could use that as your base for the region. The trip to Kyoto is a 30 minute train ride from Osaka Station (right in front of the Hilton).
We're actually wanting to stay in Kyoto, even though Osaka is close by. By being good with Hilton / Accor, I meant that I had status (plat) at them, so that covers Tokyo and likely our 1 night in Osaka. Most of the time we will be in Kyoto.

Originally Posted by RTW1
Like in most city's it depends on your budget.... Kyoto is not exactly cheap.

For me the most convenient hotel is the Granvia Kyoto. Located in the station building it's very easy to travel to all the sights by subway, bus and taxi. But I also like the Hyatt.
Ha! Well since miles paid for our UA BF tickets, I have a substantial budget left over. Thanks for the suggestion about the Granvia, I'll look at that and the Hyatt. Appreciate the tips!

Originally Posted by craz
If US programs are what you are looking for the only 3 I know of are 1- Westin Mayako (SPG), 2- ANA (Priority Club) , 3- Best Westerns

If you arent a member of these and dont have the pts you can always try and do an exchange on CC, thats once you get enough posts and time on FT . CC = coupon connection which at 45 posts isnt visible to you as of yet
I am a member of ANA but don't have status yet. And yeah, not on FT long enough for CC. =( But thanks, I didn't think about ANA Priority club, so I'll check that just in case.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hyatt also has a very nice promotion where you can combine Tokyo/Kyoto, explore classic Japan. You get a 20% discount, a 4th night free in Kyoto and some discount on the restaurant and spa.

Both the GH Tokyo (or even the PH) and HR Kyoto are really nice hotels.

Last edited by RTW1; May 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Old May 14, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Writing this from our second night of 4 in the granvia. It is fine and location is central but I don't love it - I am a bit surprised at all the high ratings I saw for it on agoda, trip advisor and the like. I am paying a 40% off rate but it's still not exactly cheap and if I were paying full rate I would be trying to move. It's very busy, definitely feels like part of a busy station, and personally I would rather be somewhere a little more picturesque. I haven't yet seen the Hyatt but I hear that east of the river (where that is) is lovely. We were also looking at hotel mume which looks gorgeous but was full for our dates. In Tokyo we were happy with the Conrad and in takayama enjoyed a charming ryokan. By comparison there is just nothing that feels special about the granvia..
Old May 14, 2012, 12:51 pm

It depends on your taste, budget, and what you want to experience, but IMO it would be a shame to miss out on staying in a ryokan (Japanese-style inn). There is a wide range in terms of budget. On my trip in January I stayed at a low-end one and one of the highest-end ones. Both were fun experiences.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by morepointsplease
By comparison there is just nothing that feels special about the granvia..
In my opinion the Granvia scores for its location. Extremely convenient with access to all transportation. And as an hotel I also couldn't find any fault with it. Nothing unique, but it's not that kind of a hotel (few are). The Hyatt is more luxurious/classy, but it's generally also more expensive and I found myself walking into town often. No real problem but, especially when traveling by train, I feel it's hard to beat the Granvia.

Definitely go for a Ryokan next time, but first look at the prices in Kyoto :-).
Old May 15, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Jerichohill
I am a member of ANA but don't have status yet. And yeah, not on FT long enough for CC. =( But thanks, I didn't think about ANA Priority club, so I'll check that just in case.
Priority Club is the IHG (Intercontinental) program. IHG and ANA have a joint venture in Japan, so ANA-branded hotels are part of the IHG program as well as the ANA mileage program.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I liked this hotel; it was cheaper than Granvia and it is right behind the train station. Food was actually good and the rooms are fairly standard; I had the "premier" room with upgraded decor and amenities. I was happy with it.
http://www.miyakohotels.ne.jp/newmiyako/english/
Old May 22, 2012, 7:40 pm

If you dont care about getting points/status, I have been to Kyoto about 15 times and by far my favorite place to stay is Hotel Monterey Kyoto. Fantastic hotel, great location and close to subway. Rooms are spacious by Japanese standards.
http://www.hotelmonterey.co.jp/en/htl/kyoto/
Old May 26, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Check out the Hyatt Kyoto thread in the Hyatt forum if you want more information on the property.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...thread-12.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.