Kyoto Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyoto Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Kyoto Hotels

Hi,

I'm trying to decide if I should stay at the Kyoto Station Area (i.e. Rihga Royal) or more downtown (Grand Bach) .... at this point both charge around the same $.
Both look good transportation wise (Station would be better for a day trip to Nara while Downtown would be closer to the Castle etc.). Any advice? What did you prefer?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA, NW
I'm partial to the station area, simply because of its convenience for all forms of transportation.

There's a JR local that runs from Kyoto Station to Nijo Castle, another one that runs to Fushimi and Nara, and another one that will take you to see the authentic castle in Hikone. The subway intersects with the private lines that run to attractions such as Arashiyama and Gion (actually, if you don't mind walking, you can reach Gion and Sanjusangendo on foot), and it brings you close to Nishiki Koji and the Imperial Palace.

There is also a bus plaza outside Kyoto Station, and you can buy a 24-hour pass for the city buses, which will take you to just about every other tourist attraction.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Like ksandness above, I usually get a prepaid bus pass upon arrival. The best of them include passage on the subway, which is not really very useful for tourists, EXCEPT the main line will take you from the Station to a corner right outside the Imperial Palace in less than 10 minutes.

I often stay at the Hearton Hotel in the mid-town area. It is not very close to nightlife but is walking distance from Nijo Castle, the Imperial Palace and the big Nishiki outdoor market. For the local trains to Nara, Osaka and Hikone, the subway easily gets me back to the station.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by ksandness
I'm partial to the station area, simply because of its convenience for all forms of transportation.
+1.

If you really want to be in the heart of Kyoto and will not be day-tripping much out of the city, then I really like the area near Kawaramachi. Otherwise, Kyoto station area is just really convenient because of the trains and the buses, not to mention the concentration of shops (Donkihote!) and food.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Accor Plat, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, BA Gold, HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by evergrn
+1.

If you really want to be in the heart of Kyoto and will not be day-tripping much out of the city, then I really like the area near Kawaramachi. Otherwise, Kyoto station area is just really convenient because of the trains and the buses, not to mention the concentration of shops (Donkihote!) and food.
+1 too

I was born and Grew up in the town.
As much as the centre of the town is in Karamachi, and Gion, you really need half day incl evening.. and it can easily be accommodated by a taxi ride from station area.. plus the choice of the Hotels are better around the station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.