Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

How do you go around getting your Skype call thru to make reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

I suppose, I should ask this in some tech forum but maybe some of the experienced travelers here might know the answer to my question.
I am trying to call a specific restaurant in Tokyo to make a dinner reservation ahead of time since the popular restaurant book up very fast.
(I'm visiting family so I don't have that handy concierge as if I was staying in Hotel).

I just discovered that the restaurant phone system does not accept any anonymous call. I can hear the recorded message "we won't accept anonymous call." Sadly, Skype (I use Skype when calling Japan) shows up at the receiving end as the "anonymous call (i.e., unknown number/numbers do not show up?)".

How do I go about this issue and reaching out to them without the regular land line (which would charge me hefty fee)? Different App? I can try other App if its available. Thank you!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by msiamsia
I suppose, I should ask this in some tech forum but maybe some of the experienced travelers here might know the answer to my question.
I am trying to call a specific restaurant in Tokyo to make a dinner reservation ahead of time since the popular restaurant book up very fast.
(I'm visiting family so I don't have that handy concierge as if I was staying in Hotel).

I just discovered that the restaurant phone system does not accept any anonymous call. I can hear the recorded message "we won't accept anonymous call." Sadly, Skype (I use Skype when calling Japan) shows up at the receiving end as the "anonymous call (i.e., unknown number/numbers do not show up?)".

How do I go about this issue and reaching out to them without the regular land line (which would charge me hefty fee)? Different App? I can try other App if its available. Thank you!
Skype Caller ID
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by msiamsia
How do I go about this issue and reaching out to them without the regular land line (which would charge me hefty fee)?
Dial-around (10-10-XXX if North American based) , calling cards ... ~ USD 0.05/min to Japan, with caller ID (sometimes with your real number, sometimes it's the provider's local number).

That is if I don't want to use Skype, with Skype Caller ID.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!! I just went in to set up my Skype Caller ID. Hopefully I can reach them on time. Again, thank you.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
This is where services like Visa Concierge come in handy. I've used them a few times to make restaurant reservations in Tokyo and it's been dead simple.

I use it through my Chase Sapphire Preferred but I think any Visa Signature card has access to that service.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
This is where services like Visa Concierge come in handy. I've used them a few times to make restaurant reservations in Tokyo and it's been dead simple.

I use it through my Chase Sapphire Preferred but I think any Visa Signature card has access to that service.
I've also used the same service and found it very useful, though a little more back and forth than one might expect. Visa Concierge receives your request and then asks for a cancellation deposit form including travel phone number and hotel itinerary including hotel name, address, date of stay, hotel phone number. They also don't make reservations for the same day you arrive/depart from an international flight. Expect a response within a few business days about your reservation and add a few more if you need to elect a menu choice when booking.

I have asked if I can send the form in ahead of time with the e-mailed reservation request to cut off a few days from the turnaround and was instructed to wait. It seems like the form gets revised occasionally with more and more fine print.

That is to say - don't expect them to make a last minute booking for Japan.

Amex concierge seems more straightforward if that is an option.
Chase Sapphire Reserve - VISA Infinite Concierge
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: UA, NW
To make it even simpler, just book from your home phone.

If you can afford to travel to Japan, you can afford a few minutes worth of charges on your home phone.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ksandness
To make it even simpler, just book from your home phone.

If you can afford to travel to Japan, you can afford a few minutes worth of charges on your home phone.
What's a home phone?
(Tee hee. Kind of kiddin'... But fewer and fewer people seem to have a landline these days).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:30 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I make these calls with Google Voice. Perfect calls and cheap or free!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.