Umami Burger coming to Japan!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

Umami Burger, hamburger chain restaurant started in Los Angeles, will open first store in Japan. The first store will open on March 24 at Aoyama in Tokyo.

I lived at Los Angeles for 12 years and I had Umami burger before. It is good, but Los Angeles is saturated with hamburger chains such as In-n-Out, Fatburger, etc. Would I have gone out of the way for Umami Burger? No, L.A. had similar competitors all over.

“Umani” comes from Japanese 「うま味」.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
「うま味」.
British supermarkets offered 馬身 burgers and lasagna some time ago.

On a slightly more serious note, it's interesting to see fake-Japanese brands being exported to Japan. An unexpected consequence of the growth Japan's cultural capital ("Cool Japan").
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jib71
British supermarkets offered 馬身 burgers and lasagna some time ago.

On a slightly more serious note, it's interesting to see fake-Japanese brands being exported to Japan. An unexpected consequence of the growth Japan's cultural capital ("Cool Japan").
Bashin (馬身) burger!? And today it is not that difficult to find a sushi restaurant in Japan serving California roll...
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Bashin (馬身) burger!?
Furyo gaikokujin oyaji gag! "Uma Mi" burger.
Actually sold as beef, but containing some horse. A big scandal in 2013.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
oyaji gag!
Dangerous territory, least for me!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:19 pm

Umami Burger? Never heard of it. Carl's Jr recently landed in Jpn. Wonder how they're doing.

And today it is not that difficult to find a sushi restaurant in Japan serving California roll...
I had California rolls at a couple of places in Tokyo that were considered decent sushi places. They both used real crabmeat, but they weren't very good. I've had much better in the US (including ones with real crab).
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:15 pm

I had California rolls at a couple of places in Tokyo that were considered decent sushi places.
Now that Rainbow Roll in Azabu-Juban is closed, I wouldn't know where to find California rolls. Do you remember where you had them?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Now that Rainbow Roll in Azabu-Juban is closed, I wouldn't know where to find California rolls. Do you remember where you had them?
I recall seeing it at a few places around Tokyo over the years, although I've only tried it a couple of times. More recently I had it at Fukusuke in Ikebukuro. Can't remember the other place... it may have been one of the Sushitsune locations.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Now that Rainbow Roll in Azabu-Juban is closed
Happy to hear that, what an insult that place was.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Umami burger............went to a location in LA ! The burgers at Fellow's, Firehouse, and any number of other places in 都心 are IMO better. That said, I am sure it will have line-ups !
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:10 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Umami burger............went to a location in LA ! The burgers at Fellow's, Firehouse, and any number of other places in 都心 are IMO better. That said, I am sure it will have line-ups !
Ditto on all of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.