Wiki Posts
Search

Mobility Impaired: Need Transportation From Tokyo->Yokohama Cruise Port

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Mobility Impaired: Need Transportation From Tokyo->Yokohama Cruise Port

Next May, my wife an I are going on a cruise departing from Yokohama, but first staying in Tokyo for a few days. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get from downtown Tokyo to the Yokohama cruise port as economically as possible?

I have a mobility impairment that limits my walking. We will also have heavy suitcases so that may rule out one of the trains. I was thinking of a shuttle perhaps. Does anyone have a good suggestion?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
This isn't directly an answer to your main query, but one piece of the puzzle may be to make use of the convenient and economical luggage transport services in Japan. If you can get your daily needs down to an amount that you feel comfortable carrying, it might open some options.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I understand what you are saying, but it's a month-long trip including 15 days on the cruise itself.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I may not have written sufficiently clearly.

I'm suggesting that when you arrive in Tokyo, you separate out enough gear to get you through the couple of days in Tokyo. Leave the rest in your main luggage, and pay the small fee for Yamato transport to take your main luggage to the cruise ship in Yokohama. Then, you can get around for your short visit to Tokyo without having to constrain yourself by the modes of transport that are friendly to heavy bags.

This also might alleviate your mobility impairment, depending on what it is.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I don't know of any convenient shuttle services. As Angra said, a luggage delivery service could reduce your burden. (Contact the cruise company to get the address for luggage to be sent to).

From Tokyo (depending on where you stay in Tokyo), you can plan a route that does not require any changes. Depending on the severity of your condition, you could request assistance in advance to get through the railway stations at the start and end of your journey. Station staff are responsible for assisting wheelchair users, for example. At Yokohama station (or Sakuragicho) I would suggest getting a taxi to the cruise ship terminal.

The only other option that I can think of is a somewhat expensive taxi journey all the way from Tokyo to Yokohama.

I think you may face the same challenges to get from the airport to Tokyo. Do you have a plan for that part of the journey? Do you know which part of Tokyo you're staying in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.