Wiki Posts
Search

Is a ryokan a must-do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Is a ryokan a must-do?

I am finalizing hotels for my vacation in Japan and wanted to gauge the expert opinions on hotels. It's my second visit to Japan and my companion's first. So far, we plan to stay two reward nights at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (I'm a little obsessed with Lost in Translation), then probably doing a reward night at the Crown Plaza Hiroshima, followed by three reward nights at the Westin Kyoto, and the final night in Tokyo, probably at the IHG Ana. I'm torn as to whether we should stay a night in a ryokan. I could work it in in Hiroshima, or change a night in Kyoto, or do the last night in Tokyo.

It sounds like a unique experience, but my concern is that we 1. know only the most basic phrases and 2. are both very introverted AND more interested in exploring the area than being cooped up. Do you recommend spending a night in a ryokan, and if so, where would you fit it?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by hopelesslybourgeois
Do you recommend spending a night in a ryokan, and if so, where would you fit it?
I would throw this question back to you. Nothing in any country is an unqualified "must-do." Are you interested in the ryokan experience, taking a day off to relax, lounge in yukata, taking a traditional hot bath, with a kaiseki dinner in your room at the end of the day? If yes then go book yourself into a ryokan, if not then don't bother.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
As one who has visited Japan many times, I think of a ryokan as take it or leave it. I did a few ryokan nights years ago and was a bit underwhelmed. Since then, I just don't bother. I prefer sitting on real chairs, sleeping on real, western-style beds, coming and going as I please and ordering my meals as I feel at the time. Now, as I've gotten older, even just the thought of doing anything on or near the floor makes my back and knees hurt. YMMV.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I think it's a memorable experience that is worth indulging in at least once. I would recommend that you go for a somewhat luxurious ryokan for your first experience. That way, if you find that you can't tolerate the somewhat regimented arrangements (eat now, bathe now, sleep now), and sleeping arrangements, you know that you have given it your best shot.
And - personal preference - I like rural ryokan with an old world feel. I think that spending an evening at a historic inn in a little town like this and is "must do" but YMMV - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5854.html
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No. Join the army instead and you will have all the bossing about, meals at set times, sleep at set times you want!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
No. Join the army instead and you will have all the bossing about, meals at set times, sleep at set times you want!
Have you stayed at a ryokan?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
We spoke no Japanese and had absolutely no problems. The staff were very warm and we even managed to get across food allergies. It was fascinating to watch the whole thing go down and you'll get left alone if that's your desire. It kind of happens anyway when you don't speak the language.

If you want to experience the culture, it will be well worth it. But I do understand not all are created equal and I used TripAdvisor for advice. I'd definitely do it based on our experience.

FYI, we are not really 'try everything at all cost' kind of people and like our personal space.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Ryokan is based on totally different concept from resort hotels in Europe or the U.S. I think some disappointment regarding Ryokan comes from that. When staying at Ryokan, cannot have same expectation and same mind set as going to resort hotels in Europe or the U.S.

I think this is simply difference in concept and culture between West and Japan. Not about what is wrong with Japanese Ryokan.

Some of concept is minimalist approach. Once I stayed at Onsen Ryokan in rural Touhoku area in the middle of the mountain. Ryokan itself has history dating back more than 100 years and one of attraction is that old build wooden house and hot spring Onsen, nothing fancy form today’s standard. Ryokan has no TV or radio. No WiFi or cell phone signal in the area. Literally land line phone is the only connection to rest of Japan. Meals are simple, not fancy.

This Ryokan was stereo typical old fashion minimalist approach. I can see the millennial generation can go crazy staying at a place like that. What do you mean I cannot text? However, this place always comes in top five most popular Ryokan by JTB travel agency (one of biggest travel agency in Japan) based on booking request. Japanese like that for short few days getaway.

But same time there are Ryokan which is setting up their property to cater more to non-Japanese visitors.

One example in another spectrum is that western style hotels located in hot spring Onsen area have Japanese style rooms. Where non-Japanese visitors can experience the taste of Ryokan under the Western type comfort of hotels. I understand some will say that is not Ryokan experience at all, that is like going to Benihana at New York City and claim I know Japanese food. I understand that, but I think that can be good option for first time and see for the second time if they want to try real Ryokan or not.

I think cannot just generalize Ryokan as just one type. There are a lot different Ryokan to choose from. If you understand those differences then I think you can make a decision that which Ryokan fits your taste, or if Ryokan is not for you at all.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you wan't the experience, do it, but don't feel compelled to check it off the list. If you do, pick the ryokan carefully. I'd avoid the ones that cater to foreign tourists as well as the ones that don't wan't foreigners. The good ones will be expensive.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by jib71
I think it's a memorable experience that is worth indulging in at least once. I would recommend that you go for a somewhat luxurious ryokan for your first experience. That way, if you find that you can't tolerate the somewhat regimented arrangements (eat now, bathe now, sleep now), and sleeping arrangements, you know that you have given it your best shot.
And - personal preference - I like rural ryokan with an old world feel. I think that spending an evening at a historic inn in a little town like this and is "must do" but YMMV - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5854.html
+1 to jib71. Shoot for higher end and if you are worried about communal bathing find one with private facilities or a reserved private time. I've stayed in minshuku ryokans (low-end) and the famed Hiiragiya in Kyoto, and enjoy them all for the cultural experience (of course Hiiragiya was by far the best experience), but high-end offers the most cultural touchpoints with the least hassle in terms of creature comforts. Try it for one night and see how it goes.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: UA, NW
I have never been a luxury traveler and prefer not to spend a lot of money on hotels, so most of my Japanese-style experiences have been in minshuku, which are like bed-and-breakfasts, only you receive both dinner and breakfast.

In some parts of Japan, such as the village of Tsumago, they are the only option. They give you a glimpse of the local culture, a chance to meet other travelers over meals, and a get-away-from-it-all atmosphere.

In the cities the OP mentioned, ryokan are just an option. (There are few minshuku in the large cities.) As others have said, it is a matter of whether you want to sleep on the floor, eat purely Japanese cuisine, take a Japanese bath instead of a shower, wake up according to the ryokan's schedule, and vacate your room at certain hours of the day.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's not a must-do which was the original question. I found it a rather tedious experience and would rather have spent the money on good sushi. A cultural step too far for me.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Depending on location but luxury Ryokan can be anywhere from $300 per person per night and up. Typical popular Onsen (hot spring) area Ryokan where rate is $150 - $250 per person per night, local Japanese say those are nice Ryokan but I do not think local Japanese will say those are luxury Ryokan. Ryokan is priced by per person, not by per room. With two people can easily end up spending $500 – 600 and up per night at luxury Ryokan.

I have one concern about OP trying out luxury Ryokan. If Ryokan experience did not turn out in positive way, then I think that will be big waste of money for OP, isn’t it? If I spent $100 - $150 per night and a hotel ended up not to my taste then I can brush it off. But if I spent $500 - $600 per night… Will OP end up upset and feel total waste of money if Ryokan experience did not turn out to be positive?

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Aug 31, 2016 at 10:50 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:19 am
Community Director Emerita

I spent one night at a high end ryokan in Kyoto. It was an interesting experience but not an enjoyable one. I arrived late afternoon and was ushered to my room. There is no furniture other than an arm rest that you can lean on while sitting on the tatami mat. The only distraction was the garden outside the window. The toilet was down the hall and down the stairs. This meant whenever I used it I had to switch from my tatami slippers to my hall slippers to bath slippers and reverse. I was given a multi course meal. I left mid afternoon the next day. My one hip did not enjoy the tatami experience. It took a full day of sightseeing in Kyoto before the hip finally loosened up.

And now I know what staying at (one) ryokan is like.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
^-- I took the above perspective for my first try at Ryokan. On our first trip to Japan, we spent one night at a pretty pedestrian Ryokan inside the city of Kyoto. I think we spent between $100 and $150 per person. This way, it was a low cost exposure to the experience. Our place had nice food and a nice garden, but nothing special on the baths. We got to see that on our next trip we wanted to go all out, and on that trip we stayed in a nice place near Hakone with a private outdoor bath attached to our room.

Deciding the right path comes down to things like: whether you expect to go back to Japan, or how do you feel about the risk of spending $600+ on something that turns out not to be your thing versus the risk of missing out on a unique experience that you would have enjoyed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.