Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for 4 nights inbetween Kyoto and Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Suggestions for 4 nights inbetween Kyoto and Tokyo

I just booked a last minute trip to Japan. I will depart on Saturday with my girlfriend. I will stay 4 nights in Kyoto (HR) then I have 4 nights inbetween then off to Tokyo for 4 nights (PH). I have already done Tokyo as well as Kyoto and surrounding areas (Himeji, Nara, Arashiyama). I am looking for some interesting places to spend the other 4 nights.

My thoughts were 2 nights in Hiroshima/Miyajima and then 2 nights Hakone. Thoughts and suggestions from people?? We will have a JR pass for those 4 days and are mainly looking for interesting and beautiful places rather than huge mega cities (although am interested in cities too). Preferably places which are relatively easy to access so I don't lose time to travel.

Thanks for any help ^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:25 pm

Kanazawa with a side trip to Shirakawa-go or Kurobe pass

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_nagano.html
http://touristpass.jp/en/takayama_hokuriku/
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tateyama_kurobe/
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by freecia
Kanazawa with a side trip to Shirakawa-go or Kurobe pass ...
Or a side trip to Takayama.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my last trip we stopped at Hakone on our trip from Tokyo to Kyoto, and at Mount Koya on the return.

I loved Mount Koya, it was so interesting and very different from the other places we visited. We stayed in a monastery, which was a wonderful experience. It was a little off the beaten path, JR train, local train, cable car (but easy for a non Japanese speaker) and was scenic, so was all part of the experience!

In Hakone we stayed at a traditional ryokan, with our meals provided in our rooms. This felt 'very Japanese', sleeping on the floor, bathing in the onsen, it was great. The Hakone loop was very pretty, although Fuji was playing hide and seek with us!
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Nagoya is an interesting city, not too big.

Odawara has a nice castle and is a good stop for a few hours, you can store your bags and walk from the train station to the castle.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Nagoya is an interesting city, not too big.
What made Nagoya interesting for you?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, the Toyota museum and . . . I can't think of anything else. There must have been a decent park or something.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Thanks for all the replies. Takayama/shirakawa looks very interesting. I think I will go to Hiroshima just because I feel I missed out last time by not seeing it... For the last 2 nights would you recommend H alone or takayama?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: UA, NW
Hiroshima and Takayama are located in opposite directions from Kyoto, although it would be feasible to do both.

You'd have to take the Shinkansen from Hiroshima to Nagoya and to the Takayama Line.

You could even take a bus over the Japan Alps (crazy hairpin curves) to Matsumoto (another castle) and take the train from there to Shinjuku.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Kanazawa with a side trip to Shirakawa-go or Kurobe pass
Originally Posted by ksandness
You could even take a bus over the Japan Alps (crazy hairpin curves) to Matsumoto (another castle) and take the train from there to Shinjuku.
I like both of these ideas.

A trip over the Alps, either via Alpen Route or from Takayama via Kamikochi, would be pretty wonderful.

Kamikochi is a pretty special place, even if it's a bit crowded during the summer. But with such short notice, I don't think you'll find any accommodation right at Kamikochi. So stay at the nearby Hirayu Onsen... a quiet town built around bus terminal with not much to do but amazing onsen quality and substantially cooler than Takayama/Matsumoto due to the high altitude. Do Takayama, then stay at Hirayu, then the next day swing by Kamikochi and then stay in Matsumoto for the second night. If you want to swing by Shirakawa-go, then you'd have to modify things, though. Or spend a couple nights in Kanazawa with a full sightseeing day in Kanazawa, then leave early to head to Tokyo via Alpen route.

Between Kanazawa and Takayama, it's a toss-up. Kanazawa is a big city with more to do and see and hence warrants more time. But Takayama may be the more memorable spot for some.

Originally Posted by pogonation
Thanks for all the replies. Takayama/shirakawa looks very interesting. I think I will go to Hiroshima just because I feel I missed out last time by not seeing it... For the last 2 nights would you recommend H alone or takayama?
With 4 nights, you have a lot to play around with. Personally I don't think you need 2 nights for Hiroshima/Miyajima. 1 night is good enough. If it were me, I'd extend your stay in Kyoto another night and just do a day trip to cover both Hiroshima & Miyajima. But you could do 1 night. 2 nights if you want to visit nearby places off the beaten path, such as Onomichi and Iwakuni.

Note that all these places (Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Hiroshima) are potentially going to be super-muggy and hot. I still remember the time I went to Takayama in the summer time... probably the most oppressive heat/humidity I've experienced in my life.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by evergrn
I like both of these ideas.

A trip over the Alps, either via Alpen Route or from Takayama via Kamikochi, would be pretty wonderful.

Note that all these places (Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Hiroshima) are potentially going to be super-muggy and hot. I still remember the time I went to Takayama in the summer time... probably the most oppressive heat/humidity I've experienced in my life.
However, the bus rest stop at Norikura-dake is above timberline and delightfully cool.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:20 pm

Kanazawa for sushi vs Takayama for Hida beef

Kanazawa Tabelog http://tabelog.com/en/ishikawa/rstLs...=0&SrtT=rt&PG=

Takayama Tabelog http://tabelog.com/en/gifu/rstLst/?u...=0&SrtT=rt&PG=

I did a route similar to evergrn's suggestion a few years back from Kyoto towards Tokyo. Miyama Ouan is a modern ryokan (my personal preference) and I'd spend more money on lodging in Hirayu than Takayama since Hirayu has better onsen atmosphere.
ホテルトラスティ 金沢香林坊 Hotel Trusty - Kanazawa
visited Shirakawa-go on Nohi bus between Kanazawa and Takayama
スパホテルアルピナ飛騨高山 Spa Alpina - Takayama
Takayama to Hirayu Onsen Nohi Bus
匠の宿 深山桜庵 Miyama Ouan - Hirayu Onsen
Hirayu Onsen to Matsumoto Nohi bus and see castle
Just check the bus schedule timings https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/

Last edited by freecia; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.