Earthquake at Kumamoto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earthquake at Kumamoto

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Earthquake at Kumamoto

Strong earthquake hit Kumamoto, Kyushu on 9:26 Thursday evening. Four deaths have reported and as morning approach death toll may increase. Report of number of houses destroyed and 23000 people are in shelter at this moment.

Shinkansen train which was heading to the yard, no passengers onboard the train, has derailed during the earthquake. There is no service on Kyushu Shinkansen, Hakata – Kagoshima Chuo, at this moment. JR Kyushu does not have any specific on when Kyushu Shinkansen will resume service.

Kumamoto airport is open, there was no damage to runway, taxiway, terminal buildings, etc. However, ANA has cancelled two flights out of Kumamoto on Friday and JAL has delayed departure of first flight out of Kumamoto on Friday.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Softbank has announced that they are temporary making their Wi-Fi spot in Kyushu to free access. Softbank said they have already switched their Wi-Fi spot in Kumamoto to free access. Softbank is in process on switching their rest of Wi-Fi spot in Kyushu to free access. Softbank has not said how long they will keep their Wi-Fi spot in Kyushu as free spot.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Wow!! Getting on the plane tomorrow to go to Japan

We are planning to visit Kyushu later this week. How long to repair the Shinkansen?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by steve4031
We are planning to visit Kyushu later this week. How long to repair the Shinkansen?
You might want to have an alternate plan. Perhaps the San-in Coast around Matsue and Izumo or Shikoku Island. If the rail lines are repaired in time for your original itinerary, that is great but you'll want to be flexible in case they aren't.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:18 pm

I just read the news story. Much more severe than I originally thought

My first desire is that those living in the area are safe and that they get back to a normal, safe life as quickly as possible.

I was planning a ride on the Aso Boy line. Since one end of this originates in Kumamoto I am going to assume that this is a no go. Does Hyperdia list service disruptions and line closure updates? I was also planning to visit Nagasaki. Is this far enough away to be unaffected?

Thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Nagasaki at the minute is fine.

Its around the epicentre of the quake that is the issue.

Just keep your eye on the news reports. However be aware that with the Shinkansen currently being stopped from Fukuoka down you might have issues depending on where you want to go / may be service alterations.

The Nagasaki is a separate Express train from Fukuoka (Hakata) which as far as I know is currently running ok.

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/trains/unkou.jsp

This is the page in Japanese with latest JR Kyushuu status updates I would keep a check on this using Google Translate
Old Apr 15, 2016, 7:02 am

Thank you.

I will track the information from that link.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 7:16 am
Original Poster

At this moment still no announcement regarding when Kyushu Shinkansen will resume service.

Aso Boy train runs Kumamoto – Miyaji which is on Houhi Line of JR Kyushu. There is no service between Kumamoto –Miyaji portion of Houhi Line at this moment. JR Kyushu does not have a date for service resumption of Kumamoto –Miyaji portion of Houhi Line at this moment. Even when service resume, local service trains have priority and tourist trains such as Aso Boy is on a last priority for the service resumption.

Kumamoto area is still experiencing strong after shock earthquakes. At this moment 9 confirmed death and 1000 plus required hospitalization.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Update:

JR Kyushu has announced that Kumamoto – Miyaji portion of Houhi Line will resume operation starting Saturday, April 16. No word on operation of Aso Boy train.

Kyushu Shinkansen, Hakata-Kagoshima Chuo, will not operate on Saturday, April 16. Sill no word on when service will resume on Shinkansen. JR Kyushu will run extra trains between Hakata - Kumamoto on Kagoshima Line, regular track line run parallel to Shinkansen.

Kumamoto is reachable by JR line. However, Shinkansen is not operating at this moment and trip between Hakata and Kumamoto will take longer on regular trains.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Another update:

Situation is still fluid since there have been frequent strong aftershock earthquakes hitting Kumamoto area.

Just late last evening strong aftershock earthquake hit Kyushu. Express roads were temporary closed. Around 3 a.m. JR Kyushu has decided to suspend their entire service in Kyushu. Even Nagasaki Line has been affected by this latest aftershock earthquake. No JR train service in Kyushu from first train of the day on Saturday, April 16.

No information regarding when JR Kyushu is planning to resume service.

P.S.
Japan Meteorological Agency has made the statement that the earthquake hit on 1:25 a.m. Saturday which registered magnitude 7.3 was the main earthquake. The very first earthquake hit on 9:26 p.m. Thursday was foreshock of the main earthquake early this morning.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Apr 15, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:44 pm

Fridays Quake

Hi, I have a daughter attending KGU. I was wondering approximately how long before she can get a flight out of the Kumamoto airport. I'm sure there will be delays but an estimate of what to expect would be helpful.

Sending good thoughts and positive vibes to all who have affected by recent earthquakes in the area,

Jackie
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

All flights in and out of Kumamoto airport (KMJ) is cancelled for Saturday, April 16. Due to earthquake there is no electricity at the airport terminal at this moment, and some damage on walls and ceilings inside of the terminal building.

Jackie,

Sorry to hear about your daughter’s situation. At this moment there is no indication as when transportation will resume. As mentioned previously, it is expected there will be many strong aftershocks and there is no way to predict at this moment. Both ANA and JAL are planning to schedule extra flights out of Kumamoto once the airport reopens.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Apr 15, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The earthquake last night was much bigger, causing more damage than the original. I would expect that Kumamoto won't be "business as usual" for quite a while.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mt. Aso has started exhibiting signs of renewed volcanic activity.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because of emergency situation, NHK broadcast can be viewed live online for free.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/live/?utm...s_tv-news_live

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.