Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by stargold
What is Haneda like at 5am-6am? Looking at the arrivals list, there are a few widebody flights arriving quite close to each other so I would guess it will be quite busy, but how long should I expect to wait in practice?
I've arrived into HND at those hours many times through the past few years (a combination of NH LAX-HND & JL SFO-HND) and there has never been any noticeable wait through immigration and customs, unlike arriving at NRT in the afternoon from ICN. I have arrived in C, Y & Y+ and all times it has been quick to get through. Granted, my last time was July 2016 but unless things have drastically changed, it should be quick to get through, especially if you do not have checked bags.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:46 pm

Thanks for the helpful data point!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:08 pm

How long to get thru customs at Haneda with 11pm arrival

I am flying in from South Korea on Koreanair. My flight comes in 11pm assuming it is on time. I need to catch the train/bus to bring me to the hotel. How long does it usually take to get through the whole customs/immigrations line around this time of the day?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I flew in a few weeks ago at 2 a.m. and it took 5 minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
What day of the week?

To me that timing seems ripe for business arrivals.
If it's nearing the weekend it will mainly be Japanese nationals coming through, so you'd be okay.

If Sunday, it may be a lot of inbound business traffic, therefore longer lines.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: Lexus USA
Immigration Arrival 2017

What is immigration checking for at the airport. Criminal background check? Interpol. Trying to get some clarity on the new embarkment cards answering yes or no. My friend stay in japan before and had a overstay and recieved a departture order. Not deportation. Just want some clarity on other experiences.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
If the incident for your friend happened in Japan, then authority will have that information available on screen as your friend will pass through the passport control upon arrival to Japan. I do think what your friend going to answer on embankment card will not make any difference.

Does your friend contacted local Japanese Consulate visa section? Likely you only heard what your friend told you, also possible that your friend were told only part of the story for his/her departure order. Likely your friend did not ask and did not read complete departure order issued to him/her because the order was written in Japanese? Under such situation nether your friend or you know the whole story of your friend’s departure order.

Under such situation only thing can be provided here on FlyerTalk which is internet public discussion forum, not official Japanese immigration site, will be pure speculation only since nobody will know exact and whole story of your friend’s departure order. You may hear story of somebody else's experience, but every case is different and those immigration procedure do change frequently. What one person experienced three years ago does not necessary hold true today.

P.S.
Alright, Immigration Bureau of Japan has information regarding re-entry condition to Japan for a person who received departure order.

If a person has received departure order or deportation multiple times previously, more than once, then a person cannot re-enter Japan for ten years.

If a person has received departure order only once previously, then a person cannot re-enter Japan for one year.

However, if a person received departure order due to a situation which can result in a jail sentence of one year or more, or a situation involving illegal narcotics, then there is no length of period specified which person is not allowed re-entry to Japan.

Immigration official at passport control at an airport upon arrival to Japan has final discretion on admitting your friend into Japan or not. For whatever reason if an officer at an airport decide not to allow entry of your friend to Japan, then that can possibly create a situation where your friend is not allowed entry to Japan for next 10 years. Again, I strongly recommend your friend to contact local Japanese Consulate visa section.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jul 10, 2017 at 11:49 am
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: QFF
There are up to 10 international flights arriving at HND between 2230 and 2330, with most being short haul flights from China and Korea. It shouldn't take long to get in at that time.
It is normally departure heavy at 11pm.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think the arrival form asks if you've ever been convicted of a crime anywhere. There may be other questions.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
[QUOTE=AlwaysAisle;28541727]If the incident for your friend happened in Japan, then authority will have that information available on screen as your friend will pass through the passport control upon arrival to Japan. I do think what your friend going to answer on embankment card will not make any difference.

Indeed. If its recorded in Japan it will come up when this person enters. In this way I don't think this person should try to be clever or deceptive with Japan immigration. They are polite but they are also more intelligent than some foreigners may think..
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
HND Late Night Immigration Mess

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:32 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

We had an ongoing thread for reports and discussion -- Extremely Long Wait Times at NRT/KIX -- but it seems to have been renamed and become less active.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Flew JL26 in January, arriving into HND with a 30 minute queue at 2030 behind some flight from Canton.
Was off NH 7 last Oct in C (into NRT T1) and arriving behind a china plane; so the queue was pretty much an hour. Yucks. However, I've into the same from FRA in T2 a few years ago too. (Both ard 15-16hrs arrival) and another time a CX flight from HK, also ard the same timeframe.

OTOH my 06xx arrivals had usually been ok, also CX548 which arrives HND at 1330.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kaka
Flew JL26 in January, arriving into HND with a 30 minute queue at 2030 behind some flight from Canton.
Was off NH 7 last Oct in C (into NRT T1) and arriving behind a china plane; so the queue was pretty much an hour. Yucks. However, I've into the same from FRA in T2 a few years ago too. (Both ard 15-16hrs arrival) and another time a CX flight from HK, also ard the same timeframe.

OTOH my 06xx arrivals had usually been ok, also CX548 which arrives HND at 1330.
This is why I love my APEC card - I've entered the hall with huge lines, and been able to bypass hundreds of people and be out the door in 5 minutes or less. Once I renew my passport, I'm going one step further for the E-gate membership which should have me through in 1 minute or less. The only problem I've noticed is while APEC and E-gate cut the line for immigration, there is no short cut for customs that I've been able to find. Last week I asked if I could use the priority/diplomat counter with my APEC card and was no told - and E-gate/Japan passport holders all seem to line up with foreigners at the same tables, so no one is getting priority at customs.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:08 am

If I'm landing in NRT Terminal 1 from LAX and then taking NRT-ICN on KE, how much time should I allot between flights? Separate tickets, different alliances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.