Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA MP
I arrived at KIX yesterday and at 3:00 PM the lines seemed to be around an hour, although they were taking foreigners living in Japan and sending them over to the Japanese lines.

The setup for foreigners reentering at KIX was terrible yesterday - most people were confused about it, and the person in the area started getting snippy. Of course, they had a separate line for foreigners reentering that was roped off and a sign pointing to the roped off line, when you were just supposed to leave the roped off area and go into a separate line in the middle of the floor.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:55 pm
kg1

Programs: UA, SQ, DL, Hyatt
I flew ICN->NRT on Thursday 3/24 arriving ~3:30pm. Took me around 40 minutes to make it through the immigration line from where I started. (bmwe92fan's photo looks just like my experience.) And the line grew quite a bit while I was there. Even the Japanese lanes were full upon my arrival, but they cleared out in less than 10 minutes. When no Japanese citizens were in line, they did send a few foreign passengers through those lanes as well.

Didn't expect it to be so crowded on a Thursday afternoon even with it being a popular time of the year for tourists.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Lesson is -

If you qualify for automatic gates then get registered.

It saved me a huge queue through 2 747's from TPE.

Me and the Mrs were the only ones at the automatic gates when we went through - nice personal service.

-mrploddy
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Returned to HND today (Friday April 1) from PVG mid-day and happy to report things are back to normal - 25 minutes from de-planing to curb...
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Returned to HND today (Friday April 1) from PVG mid-day and happy to report things are back to normal - 25 minutes from de-planing to curb...

"Normal" for me at Haneda is 5 minutes... seriously. Maybe 10 at Narita given gates tend to be further away (using Automated Gates).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Akihabara
"Normal" for me at Haneda is 5 minutes... seriously. Maybe 10 at Narita given gates tend to be further away (using Automated Gates).
90 percent of my time was waiting for bags in baggage claim....no lines In Immigration or customs and in taxi on way home now - landed at 1203 so more like 15 minutes lol...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 31, 2016 at 9:25 pm
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
Originally Posted by mrploddy
Lesson is -

Me and the Mrs were the only ones at the automatic gates when we went through - nice personal service.

-mrploddy
+1

Not sure why more people don't use them. I rarely see even citizens taking advantage of the gates.

That said, the implementation of these things is pretty poor for us non-Japanese. I cringe every time I see an immigration officer scurrying over to check my passport and re-entry card after clearing the biometric gantry.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
What's even worse is asking for re-entry stamps.

Unfortunately I have the joy of at some point dealing with UK Immigration again for my wife (moving back at some point) and we need to justify our existence or not existence in a country to them and entry/exit stamps are the easiest ways of doing that.

It's always hillarious how they have to take the passports in to the office to get them stamped. You would think they would keep at least 1 stamp primed at the gates just in case someone asks for a stamp.

Personally I think it's a good thing the gates are not well advertised - only those in the know go - the registration booths are Narita / KIX are definitely out of the way and you only know to go there if you have read up.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
What's even worse is asking for re-entry stamps.

Unfortunately I have the joy of at some point dealing with UK Immigration again for my wife (moving back at some point) and we need to justify our existence or not existence in a country to them and entry/exit stamps are the easiest ways of doing that.

It's always hillarious how they have to take the passports in to the office to get them stamped. You would think they would keep at least 1 stamp primed at the gates just in case someone asks for a stamp.
This is handled fairly well at HKG with those little slips of paper that get printed out after your fingerprint scan.

I saw something in the news about how they're planning to revamp airport security in Japan before the Olympics in 2020. Hopefully things will improve at NRT and HND in the next couple of years.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Wow, even domestic-international transfer was brutal today. Took CTS-NRT today with slightly more than MCT and just made it onto NH8 on time. No time for the F lounge!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:54 am

Came in via Haneda tonight around 8pm. Wasn't that busy. I'd suggest foreigner queue was about 50 people waiting. Breezed through AG's as usual.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Lesson is -

-mrploddy
Where can I find out whether I qualify for the automatic gates?

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:59 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Where can I find out whether I qualify for the automatic gates?
http://www.moj.go.jp/nyuukokukanri/k...i07_00015.html

If you have a valid re-entry permit, you are eligible. Holders of temporary visas are not eligible.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by armagebedar
http://www.moj.go.jp/nyuukokukanri/k...i07_00015.html

If you have a valid re-entry permit, you are eligible. Holders of temporary visas are not eligible.
Thanks for that, armagebedar.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:03 pm

I'd also mention that in my experience applying for this at Narita seemed to be more successful than at Haneda.

I initially tried at Haneda but my fingerprints were too weak to be picked up. The guys there just shrugged their shoulders and said sorry..can't help you. Then I tried again at Narita and there's a lady there who has been doing this for like 8 years and knows a bunch of tricks to get it to work. I eventually got registered after much persistence and I've since never had any issue using these gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.