Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo and where else??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
Tokyo and where else??

My 16 year old son has requested Tokyo for a vacation in the end of May beginning of June. I will have about 10 days. I'm interested in seeing Tokyo for 3 days and then moving on to somewhere else in Asia. Where would you go? We love good food and he's a very advanced scuba diver.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You really should spend a few days in and around Kyoto as well as Tokyo. As far as where else in Asia, I'll leave that to others.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I am Scuba diver also. Recommendation for Scuba dive in Asia which is not too difficult to access from Japan.

Malaysia, not the continent part but on island of Borneo on Eastern shore has very nice Scuba dive area. Flights from Narita by Malaysia Airlines. Bit more than 10 years ago there was an incident of local Indonesian militia group holding Western Scuba divers’ hostage, so I am not sure what is the situation today.

Palau, island west of Guam and Delta Airlines has non-stop flight from Narita. It is a beautiful island for Scuba diving, one of top locations for Scuba diving I have been, but not as great as Maldives.

Would you consider going all the way to Maldives? Flights by Sir Lanka Air (via Colombo), Singapore Air (via Singapore), or Korean Air (via Seoul) from Narita.

Chuuk (formerly known as Truk) on Micronesia, east of Guam. Reached by United Airlines via Guam from Narita. Highlight of Chuuk is wreck dive, there are sunken WWII Japanese batter ships and it was something to experience, for me.

These are places I enjoyed in Asia which is not that difficult to access from Japan and these locations are not very advanced Scuba locations but may not be for novice scuba divers.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
Thank you so much
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
You really should spend a few days in and around Kyoto as well as Tokyo. As far as where else in Asia, I'll leave that to others.
+1, good suggestion, and very easy via high speed rail.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by betonic
I'm interested in seeing Tokyo for 3 days and then moving on to somewhere else in Asia.
Just a note that you could easily spend your entire 10 days in various parts of Japan and not scratch the surface of what the country has to offer.

Also do consider that travelling from Tokyo to the awesome dive spots in Malaysia (e.g. Sipadan, Layang Layang) or other South East Asian countries will easily eat up an entire day. For a 10 day holiday I'd not be so keen to spend 2 days travelling, but to each his own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.